Friday 30 January - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending .

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important:money:
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

School re-opens at 10 (unless things change - v cold and icy and more snow forecast), today's little list:

Packed lunch for DH - Done
    List more bits on freegle -
    More "bits" to be collected by freegler -
    Clean bottom of iron -
    Continue purge on Emails -
    Filing & Shredding -
    Catch up on surveys -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 4 chances to win -
    Check Birthday Bingo -
    Read - In progress

Have a great day, love to you all

C

PS Took my meter readings yesterday and compared to last week I've managed to use
    9 units LESS Electric
    11 units LESS Gas

Am stunned, guess we really had become complacent :eek:

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Ziggy
    That's great about your energy consumption and your school being back open. A good end to the week!

I came home last night to my new rucksack (free item using Amazon trade in) so that was a nice surprise & I can start to use it today.

I am on my limit of what I can list on ebay for free until tommorow now. Hoping it's a calendar month thing or it will be much longer. Does anyone know?

OH finally got paid today. Feels like the longest ever period.

Will be doing all my usual, walking or cycling all journies. Packing lunches, doing dinner off meal plan. Keeping washing machine off till I have a full load. All the good things that help with debt slaying...

Have a good day.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • cupcake-queen
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy
    That's great about your energy consumption and your school being back open. A good end to the week!

I came home last night to my new rucksack (free item using Amazon trade in) so that was a nice surprise & I can start to use it today.

I am on my limit of what I can list on ebay for free until tommorow now. Hoping it's a calendar month thing or it will be much longer. Does anyone know?

OH finally got paid today. Feels like the longest ever period.

Will be doing all my usual, walking or cycling all journies. Packing lunches, doing dinner off meal plan. Keeping washing machine off till I have a full load. All the good things that help with debt slaying...

Have a good day.

Bob

I've been wondering the same about eBay. Have had a huge eBay success and made around £85 this month. I haven't used eBay to sell much for a while as nothing was ever selling but I'm really keen on keeping this up until we run out of stuff to sell! Had a few Gumtree successes too so we've made well over £100.
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]£529[/STRIKE] £199 BC: [STRIKE]£697.82[/STRIKE] £1974.02 MBNA: [STRIKE]£1874[/STRIKE] £517.0
  • Spuddy27
    Options
    Morning all,

First time using this thread so not sure if i'll be doing it correctly, anyway my plans today are:

- weigh self! week two of weightwatchers (at home) hopefully those numbers are also decreasing
    - meet friend in the town and come back to mine for a cuppa
    - clear out email inbox - done
    - have a nosey at some recommended sites from here
    - wash dishes, have been saving them up and now there's quite a few! eek!

and finally, get my driving licence renewed :-( need new pictures so unfortunately that's going to be a cost today but needs must, better than the £1000 fine if i'm caught with an expired picture I suppose.

Hope everyone has a grand day! :)

Lx
    LBM - 29.01.15

Debt free goal: December 2018.

Loan - 45 payments to go! Very - £335 now £285 OD - £1000 now £900 Barclaycard - £3421 now £3341 Virgin - £5499 now £5315 Couch - 15 payments to go! Laptop - 45 payments to go!
  • Tidy_Up_Tash
    Options
    Good Morning!

Thanks for the start, Ziggy. I've been checking the freepostcode lottery daily, since seeing you mentioned it. However, the 4th way to win escapes me. I see the daily draw, the stackpot and, when I'm on my mobile, there's another between 6pm and midnight in the menu. Please... what's the 4th?

Stuck in the house for most of the day today, waiting for various deliveries and the gas engineer (annual safety check today). Heating is on for the first time in 3 or 4 months to make sure everything is ok with it before the engineer arrives. It'll go off after he's been :)

The rest of my DFW Friday (minus chores) looks like this...
    • Dinner from stores
    • Lights off
    • Get Tesco Delivery in and make small list of stuff we still need (I'm really bad at remembering household stuff)
    • Look into feasability of 2nd Purse
    • C25k Week 3 Day 2 (DFW as it's free, unlike the Gym :D)
    • Update Money to show OH's pay
    • Enjoy a cider and movie with DS2 tonight, to celebrate another successful week :D

Have fun filled, frugal Fridays :)
    :T Weight Loss (Start Weight 14st 12lb): 5/24 lbs :T
    CC Debt: 01 Jan 2015: £11,462 :(Now: £10,850 EOY Target: £7,500 :)
    :xmassmile Saving for Xmas 2015: £75.11/£300 :xmassmile
    2015 GC: Jan £199.91/£200 | Feb £188.21/£200 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May £118.44/£200
    NSDs: Jan ? | Feb 9 | Mar/Apr :exclamati | May 1 - - - 2nd Purse: £30
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    Good Morning

thanks for starting us ziggy that's good new with the gas and Electric
    I must try harder

Foxglove that was a good tip about the fat balls for the wee birds it was great to watch.

today so far
    ive checked the banks
    been for a shop
    drove the car for the first time in weeks
    dinner in the slow cooker

to-do list today
    relax as very sore
    check and work on e bay
    ironing
    start working on Feb Budget

better go

keep safe and warm xxxlppxxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 January 2015 at 11:06AM
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Great to see new faces.

Got back from work around 11.30 last night and up at 7 for work today. I normally have 9 hours minimum sleep so today will be very very long. I already have a headache and feel rough as can be. Oh Joy!

Spend wise hoping for a NSD. DS has found a new ks bed base on FB which if he gets it solves a bed issue that was about to get expensive. So fingers crossed there.

I need to do tonight:
    1.2 loads full rate wm and dw, there are stacks so high on the sink I was not sure if it was morning when I came down, light totally obliterated. I just shut my eyes and strolled past in a light hearted, it is so friday, manner.
    2.hoover, with ear plugs as the noise of the mess going up the tube will be deafening.
    3. iron

or

4. probably just shut my eyes and stroll past everything in a less light hearted manner than this morning and go straight to bed!

Have a good day everyone, we have avoided the snow which is something.
  • Byebyedebthellolife
    Options
    Today I will.
    *Take lunch to work
    *Cancel Pet insurance
    *Cancel Home insurance
    *Do menu out of items we already have in so I don't need to go shopping for at least a week.
    *List 10 things on sale sites.

Happy Friday peeps :)
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2015 at 11:31AM
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Hi Ziggy
    That's great about your energy consumption

That's not counting the reduction from switching the PC in the attic off
    Spuddy27 wrote: »
    Morning all,

First time using this thread so not sure if i'll be doing it correctly,

and finally, get my driving licence renewed :-( need new pictures so unfortunately that's going to be a cost today but needs must, better than the £1000 fine if i'm caught with an expired picture I suppose.

]No right or wrong here - here to support and cheer each other, you've joined a great thread - welcome
    Good Morning!

Thanks for the start, Ziggy. I've been checking the freepostcode lottery daily, since seeing you mentioned it. However, the 4th way to win escapes me. I see the daily draw, the stackpot and, when I'm on my mobile, there's another between 6pm and midnight in the menu. Please... what's the 4th?

Sorry for confusion
    Daily draw
    Stackpot @ 9am
    Stackpot @9pm
    Daily draw between 6 and midnight

• lonestarsky
    Options
    Morning everyone

Happy Friday! Very tired today and sore head, had a bad sleep - really think I need to invest in a blackout blind :(

Ziggy - great news about your energy consumption!
    Maria - I know how you feel!
    Spuddy27 - welcome :beer:

Today's list:
    • Leftovers for breakfast
    • Free cake at work, thanks to a kind colleague!
    • Packed lunch
    • Dinner from whats left over in the house (bean burgers, wedges, coleslaw - all home made because I have enough time today)
    • Small top-up shop that should cover us until Wednesday, aiming for a £15 spend limit
    • 10 minute housework - back lobby and downstairs toilet today
    • Cancel AA before renewal, and join RAC through TCB
    • Check eBay auctions (not doing well with them these days...)
    • Check surveys
    • Check credit card, think there's some ebooks on there that need paid
    And soon it will be the weekend, yay!! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills