Starting out and need help!

Options
I was not sure which section to put this in and some of the sections didnt allow a new thread, but i was looking for some advice and heard this forum is great.

I am 25 years old male, living in the UK, in the final year of my PhD (Dementia research), and I have very little savings, obviously a large student loan and little liquid assists besides an old banger of a car. ( I get paid ~£1100 but saving is very difficult as after rent expenses etc I am lucky to save £100 a month)

what tips are advice can you offer me to get me started on being more financially secure for the future and maybe make some money on the side?

Any help would be hugely appreciated

I thank you in advance

Comments

• Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options

what tips are advice can you offer me to get me started on being more financially secure for the future and maybe make some money on the side?

Put the £100 pm into a regular saver like nationwides that pays 5% interest, i assume you are working evenings and weekends so can you ask for more hours, even 2 a week is a min £60 per month gain, if other people at work want time off then work there shifts for them if possible.

Don't ever be tempted to use overdrafts or credit cards as charges and interest rates can be extortionate and these can snowball very quickly.

If your long term view is to buy a house then look at LISA'S or 1st time buyer ISA's. Only keep enough in your current account to get you thru the month with a few quid extra in it for emergencies, any surplus should be put into savings.

Making basic pension contributions (thru workplace pension) now will at least start the pension ball rolling for you which will only get bigger after time.

The single best bit of advice i ever received was to never get in debt, with the exception of a mortgage and a 2k car loan I've managed to stick to that and was completely debt and mortgage free by age 42, make your money work for you and not for someone else.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    First thing for you is a proper, written down budget, and learning to stick to that. You could use the SOA calculator we point people to in here - you'll find the link in the "Sticky" post at the top of this board - fill it out as accurately as you can, using 12 months bank statements will help you to be sure that you're not missing anything out. Normally we'd say make sure it reflects the way things really are right now for those who are in debt as this makes clear where their spending issues might be - for you though I'd say the situation is a bit different so give some thought to things like car maintenance that you may not have thought about budgeting for previously.

I find it handy to have online savings accounts running straight off my current account to set money aside for annual expenses - we have them for car costs, household costs (contents insurance etc), presents, and holiday savings among other things. At the start of each month once our pay has landed we have automatic transfers going out to each of the savings accounts so money that is budgeted for things ahead of time just goes there without us having to think about it.

On things like insurances & car tax remember you are charged a premium to pay them monthly so look to start setting aside money in advance to pay these upfront. (Road tax has an option to pay 6 monthly or annually on most bands - it's only the monthly Direct Debit that costs you more). TV license is different in that if you pay quarterly you get charged extra - but paying monthly is just a straight 1/12th of the annual cost.

For any extra savings you are able to make then a regular saver type account is a good bet as they usually pay higher interest as already mentioned.

Once you've put together the SOA if you want to post it in here we can have a look and see if there is stuff we feel you've missed, or under or over estimated.

For extra earnings if your current pay relates to the finding for your PhD research then is there the possibility of you taking an evening or weekend job? Alternatively to just earn a little extra there are things like online surveys and focus groups that might work for you - have a look at the "boost your income" boards on here.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    If you're in your final year of PhD you're probably absolutely swamped, I commend you, it's not an easy thing to do!

If you post and SoA on here people will be able to comment on how you can cut back.

I would suggest a survey site such as Prolific Academic. As a more academic sort myself, I actually quite enjoy the surveys as they're often for scientific research which I find much more interesting that the bog standard market research "what's your opinion on this toothpaste" sorts.
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you're in your final year of PhD you're probably absolutely swamped, I commend you, it's not an easy thing to do!

If you post and SoA on here people will be able to comment on how you can cut back.

I would suggest a survey site such as Prolific Academic. As a more academic sort myself, I actually quite enjoy the surveys as they're often for scientific research which I find much more interesting that the bog standard market research "what's your opinion on this toothpaste" sorts.

I'll second Prolific as a decent one too - make sure you run through and do all the pre-screening questions as it's easy to not realise you have to do that.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business