Any facial moisturiser recommendations?

Options
I have weird skin that's sometimes really dry and sometimes really oily. I suppose it's probably a hormonal thing. It's my cheeks that seem to veer wildly from one to the other, rather than my T-zone.

I recently bought The Yes to Tomatoes Combination Skin Moisturiser and hate it! It's the thickest moisturiser I've ever come across. Why anyone with combination oily skin would want something so thick is beyond me.

I have The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factors + HA and like it but finding that a bit thick also.

I'm trying to keep to cruelty free brands, so any recommendations from those would be great.

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm cautiously trying out the Lidl night cream with Q10. For a jar costing less than £2, it's really helping my skin! Not speaking the language of unguents much, I couldn't tell you if it's thick or not but I'm applying it sparingly.

For seriously combination skin, you may want to apply a cautious mix of one cream to one area, another to another?
  • boots_babe
    boots_babe Posts: 3,234 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I recently had a free pot of This Works No Wrinkles Extreme Moisturiser as a gift with a magazine subscription:

https://www.lookfantastic.com/this-works-no-wrinkles-extreme-moisturiser-48ml/10524477.html

I usually chop and change my facial moisturiser, but have to say this has probably got me hooked. I'm nearing the end of my free pot and have just ordered another one. I can't quite put my finger on it but my skin feels in so much better condition since using this, it can't be coincidence.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I like The Body Shop Vitamin E series and Tea Tree series. I have a combination skin too and they work for me. If you are an O2 user, there is always a discount code available to make it better value for money.
    ally.
  • Chlorine7
    Chlorine7 Posts: 256 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you tried a facial oil instead of moisturiser? I've used Pai facial oil and Nude Skincare oil and found them to be far more effective in dealing with my skin issues over any moisturiser.

I do rate The Ordinary for skincare too, try the acids.
  • Kojak12
    Kojak12 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried Bio-oil? It seems greasy when you apply it but it sinks right into the skin. As far as I'm aware it is the only one on the market that can prove it is actually absorbed by your skin cells. In addition there is proven research it does improve the elasticity and condition of the skin - it doesn't just make skin 'appear' younger. It helps even out skin tone and keep the skin nice and flexible and plump.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not cheap but I would recommend

Liz Earle Skin Repair - either the Light (for oily/combination) which is almost a gel-like consistency or the Normal/Combination one - a light cream

Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream - the original/regular one - again a very light cream, good for all skin types.

If you buy from QVC and find they aren't any good for you, you can at least return them and get most of your money back
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried Rose hip oil?
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try asking The Body Shop for a sample of their Oils for Life cream (day cream or overnight creams worked best for me IMO, not so much the night cream although I'd not rule that out) I have very dry skin but it's also very easy to clog so I have to use a thinner moisturiser or just something non oily and non clogging and this stuff is the most affordable out of a range which I find I can get away with. All the others I've tried just sit on the top of my skin and make my skin shiney at first, then dull looking (as dust and pollution stick to it) and then I get spots and my skin feels icky and itchy (because it's clogged and cannot breathe).

Others I've tried and liked are not so affordable but let me know if you wanted a few more ideas. The reason I mention The Body Shop is because if you hunt around you can normally find a set of two (the oil and a cream or similar) for £30 and if you find a decent assistant or a glitch you can bring down the price further. Normally the cost of one of the products is more than what I'd suggest anyone spends!
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I love Simple's Light moisturiser :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport