Scared and alone

Options
Hello, I have been a lurker on this fantastic forum for a while now... But things are getting worse for me so I needed to post for some advice.I really need help.
I have huge debts that I am trying to deal with, I am currently on a dmp with stepchange... I have had pretty poor luck recently so I haven't been able to pay my dmp payments the last couple of months, I have also been off of work with depression and am losing wages because of it.i can't afford the dmp payment this month too,it has tried to come out and bounced.i had to buy a banger a I need transport to get to work as I am due back to work soon.i am scared stepchange won't help me further, I am receiving threatening letters and emails from debt collectors... I am so scared about all of this, I can't speak to anyone about it as I am so ashamed that I let this happen.i am worried about what I will do, I went to hospital two weeks ago as I took an overdose....I just can't see a way through this anymore

Comments

• AngryDog
    AngryDog Posts: 445 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, I cannot help other than to suggest you call National Debt Help Line on 0808 808 4000.

I hope you get sorted out
    As at End of June 2014
    Credit Cards - HSBC - £9422
    Loans - NRAM £7500 & £12848
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Since you're already on a DMP with StepChange then give them a call. Explain that your circumstances have changed and I'm sure they'll be able to adjust the DMP. Once you've spoken to them things will seems little brighter :)
  • Brightspark87
    Brightspark87 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Please speak to them, they deal with these things all the time & Step Change will understand.

The longer you leave it the worst it will make it seem to you. Deal with it now and you will feel a weight lifted off your shoulders.

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • Sinhanada
    Sinhanada Posts: 497 Forumite
    Options
    Perfect advice from Pixies. Stepchange are there to help and not to judge. If your circumstances have changed as you say then they will be able to help and review your budget, it may reduce or there may be other options you can use. The main thing is to call them, don't bury your head in the sand.

lastly, good luck - things will work out if you face them!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just to echo the above advice really, your situation will not be unknown to them, ring them and explain whats happening, I know it can seem scary when you cant afford to make payments, with all the letters etc, but you have to remember, they are just bog standard letters they send to everyone, sometimes tailored to your situation, all telling you to pay up or else, they are automatically generated and are handed out like car keys at a swingers party !! don't worry yourself over this, do as advised, the key is to communicate here, once they know your situation it should be fine.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure