Squeaky spreadsheet diary

Options
Tiglath
Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
edited 13 March 2016 at 10:21AM in Debt free diaries
I've spent a couple of days getting uber-serious about paying off my debt, and my spreadsheet is a work of art! I've paid off a fair amount already (£10,700), but from now on it's my mission to become debtfree (apart from the mortgage) by early 2015, and then tackle that. £28k of personal debt, this coming year I'm restarting the process to kick you into oblivion and paying back every penny.

- Filled in the stoozing SOA for my personal finances and used the snowball calculator.
- Have put a stop on all cards and cut them up.
- Have set up online access to all credit cards/storecards, and have set fixed above-minimum payments on all except the two I'm going to snowball first (two storecards with high APRs which will be closed ASAP). I didn't realise only paying the minimum each month puts a marker on your account so that has now changed for all of them.
- The next priority is paying off the overdraft which is nearly twice my monthly net salary. It goes into the black once a year when I get a bonus, but I've not been disciplined enough to keep it there.
- If I get a bonus next year (I have every year since 1999), I will not fritter it away on treats and luxuries and technology. I will pretend it doesn't exist and it will dramatically reduce my overdraft, maybe even pay it off completely.
- Once the OD is paid off, every penny left outside the set budget will be swept towards the card I'm focusing on at the end of the month. I'll get more satisfaction from seeing a balance and accruing interest go down than I will from a gingerbread latte from Starbucks.
- All household suppliers have been checked and shifted to make sure I'm on the best deals.
- Have set a food budget over the past couple of months and am finding it relatively easy to stick to. Using up freezer and store cupboard supplies for now, and shopping in Lidl/Farmfoods/local market.
- Have dramatically slashed my personal spend; instead of thinking 'I have X left each month after all bills which is mine,' it's 'I have X for me period each week' and anything left over will be ploughed into the debts.
- My spreadsheet has my current account set out like a bank statement - in/out/balance. I've projected all ins and outs until early 2015 including weekly grocery/personal withdrawals, although no doubt real life will provide the odd hiccup. May be in for a sizeable payrise next July if I get promotion.
- I don't need any new clothes; I will sort through and mend the ones I have.
- Got another spreadsheet tab to log every penny I spend - essentials, cats, household & luxuries (this month I slashed the luxury spend from 32% to 12% of the total, and it will go down further next month).
- Moving to paying cash; have set a grocery & personal amount each week which will be transferred to 2 physical purses. If I don't have the cash in the relevant purse, it's not getting bought.
- Joined the 'POAMAYC 2013' challenge. Have set a conservative target of £6k but am hoping to come close to doubling that.
- All spare change from the purses will go in the terramundi at the end of the week and will be tallied and paid back into the bank at the end of the year.
- No more buying crappy expensive food at work; taking in lunch daily.
- No more Kindle books - eReaderIQ is giving me fabulous stuff for free.
- Set a strict budget for Christmas and not joining in the office dramas like Secret Santa and the endless drinks at Corney & Barrow.
- No need for a travelcard; I have a point-to-point ticket and Oyster for the rare times I'll take the tube or bus. That's an immediate saving of £50+/month towards one of the cards.
- Last payment on gym membership made.
- Have worked out a list of standard food & household items that we buy every month, and where they are cheapest. Going for basic/smartprice/value where possible.
- Being frugal with energy use.
- The only projected social event is The Damned in a couple of weeks and the ticket is already paid for; other than that, I'm a homebird really.
- Going to tackle the veg plots which have been neglected for 3 years due to ill-health and grow as much as possible next year.
- The cats remain a huge expense (£250 month on food, litter and insurance) but I won't take any more on, and the population will gradually reduce as they age. The eldest is coming up to 15, bless him, so I hope he carries on for a few more years yet.
-My personal DFD is early 2015 but I'm going to move heaven and earth to make it happen by the end of 2014 if at all possible.

I've scared DH witless the past couple of days, but he's not ready to tackle his personal debt so I'm not pushing it - that's for him to decide. Very determined now! It's been 14 years since I incurred debt - I will get back to the stage where I don't owe a penny and my lovely salary is mine (ours).

Once that's done, I'm going to tackle overpaying the mortgage; want to pay it off much earlier than the projected 2028. My reward for getting debtfree is going to be to save up for a dream holiday to see the northern lights somewhere - haven't had a holiday in 7 years, not even a weekend away. The only time I've spent away from home has been in hospital or looking after Mum!

Starting balances from now:
Simply Be - £644 - now £0. Closed.
Next - £180 - now £0. Closed

Overdraft - £6000 - now £0.
Natwest card - £1300 - now £0.
Amex - £4780 - now £0. Closed.
Barclaycard - £5770 - now £0. Closed.
Mint - £9270 - now £0. Closed.

Wish me luck :)
"Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000

Comments

• NinjaSavingKat
    Options
    I like your determination. I have the same kind of mind set but ending December 2013. I will succeed - so will you! Best of luck to you...
    “Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hi Tiglath, it's a big step writing it all down :). Good luck and hopefully your OH will join you on the journey at some point.

Best wishes Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • JLS1901
    JLS1901 Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck Tiglath :) I've decided I'd love to go see the northen lights too!
    Best of luck will be following your journey.
    Welly x
    :wave:
  • I would echo what Tilly says. Hopefully when OH sees your progress he'll want to join in!

Good luck.
  • niftythrifty33
    Options
    This is very inspiring, well done. I will be following your journey
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wishing you well on your DFW journey.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Tiglath
    Options
    Thinking ahead to my trigger spends, it's definitely lunch at work; EAT and Pret are a real temptation, and I'm not very organized at preparing packed lunches unless I'm taking in leftovers from the night before. However they give us free bread/butter/sweet & savoury spreads, cereals and fruit at work, so I might as well take advantage of that. It's not glamourous but it's the kind of thing I'd do myself for lunch at home.

All I need to do therefore is keep a small block of cheese and pack of tomatoes in the fridge there to make sandwiches, the odd box of eggs for scrambled egg on toast, pack of crumpets, tins of soup and tuna, baked beans, jacket potatoes, for a change. It's going to save me a fortune every day, and I'll allow myself a bought lunch once a week as a treat. That's my biggest personal expenditure slashed.
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS Posts: 7,833 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 17 November 2012 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Hi Tiglath, Mortgage Reduction Novice on the MFW forum has set herself a challeng to take packed lunches up until Christmas from memory. The DFW and MfW forums are quite similar in approaches,so you may want to join her. I don't take any cash to work with me and can't be tempted :rotfl:

A conservative £3.50 per day on lunches gives circa £840 pa to throw at debts :T

Good luck, Tilly
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    This time of year I keep a box of cuppa soups in my desk drawer - for when I am not feeling particularly imaginative - bonus too if you get free bread at work!
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • Tiglath
    Options
    Good idea - I have lots of packs of cupasoup at home just sitting in the cupboard :)

DH is on board with the weekly shop (think he can cope with the idea because it's small and not scary). He came shopping with me this morning and tutted and sighed when I picked up some cheap shortbread which wasn't in the budget :) He's great if I tell him specifics like 'We must get Lurpak in Tesco because it's 2 for £4 instead of £2.68-£2.90 each.'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport