Jury Service

Options
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place and someone can help.

My wife has been selected for jury service. She works 2 x part time jobs and have both said they won't pay her whilst on jury service so will need to claim loss of earnings.

Does anyone know how quick they pay you back? I am just worried as she is down for 2 weeks w/c 20/3/17 and if doesn't get paid from jobs on usual pay day of 31/3/17 will leave us short as bills go out first few days of April and then won't get money back from court for few weeks? Can you ask to be paid earlier?

Thanks

Comments

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From the FAQ on Gov UK website

You’ll usually be paid 7 to 10 working days after submitting your claim form.

Link to website

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/overview
  • cook0891
    cook0891 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    From the FAQ on Gov UK website

You’ll usually be paid 7 to 10 working days after submitting your claim form.

Link to website

https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/overview

Thanks. Just a pain how fell meaning won't get monies back till approx middle April and all bills etc come out start of April
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Thanks. Just a pain how fell meaning won't get monies back till approx middle April and all bills etc come out start of April

Just the luck of the draw i'm afraid, I hope you both manage to sort out over the short term {family/friends perhaps?}plus although it states 2 weeks/10 days it COULD be shorter or longer depending on if/when the call to service on a trial is made.
    I have done service in the past, first time arrived on the Monday was released on the Thursday. Next time was 3 weeks so no telling just how many days.:o
  • cook0891
    Options
    London50 wrote: »
    Just the luck of the draw i'm afraid, I hope you both manage to sort out over the short term {family/friends perhaps?}plus although it states 2 weeks/10 days it COULD be shorter or longer depending on if/when the call to service on a trial is made.
    I have done service in the past, first time arrived on the Monday was released on the Thursday. Next time was 3 weeks so no telling just how many days.:o

Yeah appreciate that. Just hassle with everything not just money but sorting kids out etc. Oh well rather be doing jury service than being on other side.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah appreciate that. Just hassle with everything not just money but sorting kids out etc. Oh well rather be doing jury service than being on other side.

If you are budgeting so tightly, have you looked at what would actually be paid by the Court?
  • cook0891
    Options
    If you are budgeting so tightly, have you looked at what would actually be paid by the Court?

Sorry not sure what you mean by 'what would actually be paid by the court' expenses I can cope with like travel and food but both her part time jobs are stopping her approx. half her salary which would cover the mortgage. We won't get loss of earnings back till 10 days after case has finished which would be roughly middle of April which would leave me short as don't have a lot of disposable income.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Contact the court and explain the problem. They may be able to arrange earlier payment or possibly change when your partner does jury service.
    If her income covers the mortgage payment try contacting the mortgage provider to explain why the payment may be late.
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Contact the court and explain the problem. They may be able to arrange earlier payment or possibly change when your partner does jury service.
    If her income covers the mortgage payment try contacting the mortgage provider to explain why the payment may be late.

If you pay the mortgage late, even with their agreement, it could go down on your credit report and affect future lending. So be careful and check that before agreeing anything.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry not sure what you mean by 'what would actually be paid by the court' expenses I can cope with like travel and food but both her part time jobs are stopping her approx. half her salary which would cover the mortgage. We won't get loss of earnings back till 10 days after case has finished which would be roughly middle of April which would leave me short as don't have a lot of disposable income.

I think the question was probably about whether the actual loss would be less than the £64.95 maximum daily amount and therefore paid in full.
  • cook0891
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't think would contact the mortgage or courts, will just ask my Mum for a short loan for few weeks. But do appreciate the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure