Lending money to friend but they buy a new car

Options
sharp910sh
sharp910sh Posts: 523 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
I was having a disagreement with a mate about lending money to a friend and for them to agree to pay pack a fixed amount. But during the term of the loan they get another loan to buy a sports car, but they keep up the repayments.

Would you be angry if they got a sports car through a bank loan when they still owe you money?

To me its fine if they keep paying back the loan, yet people do not agree with me which I do not understand.

Please not this is just hypercritical, I would never lend money or borrow money from a friend! Too messy.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sharp910sh wrote: »
    I was having a disagreement with a mate about lending money to a friend and for them to agree to pay pack a fixed amount. But during the term of the loan they get another loan to buy a sports car, but they keep up the repayments.

Would you be angry if they got a sports car through a bank loan when they still owe you money?

To me its fine if they keep paying back the loan, yet people do not agree with me which I do not understand.

Please not this is just hypercritical, I would never lend money or borrow money from a friend! Too messy.

As long as the payments are being made to the friend then whats the issue. It would annoy me if they stopped the payments claiming hardship or poverty and then I see them flashing about lkey they have won the lottery.
  • Fender4
    Fender4 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have borrowed money to a mate and I'm glad I could help. But if I found out that he had a sports car on finance and I was sacrificing my interest in the hope I was getting someone back on a debt free trip and they had taken out more debt I would be !!!!ed off.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    You borrow money OFF someone, you lend money TO someone. It's the teacher in me.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • emmy05
    emmy05 Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Options
    It would annoy me, but I would never take out a loan for someone else. I'd be too frightened I wouldn't be paid back.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fender4 wrote: »
    I have borrowed money to a mate and I'm glad I could help. But if I found out that he had a sports car on finance and I was sacrificing my interest in the hope I was getting someone back on a debt free trip and they had taken out more debt I would be !!!!ed off.

Do you mean you have lent money to a friend or have borrowed from a friend?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Why does your friend NEED to borrow off you if he can get a loan for a sports car.
    If it was me I would ask for my loan to be repaid first, however I would have not lent any money to my ''friend'' in the first place.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sharp910sh wrote: »

Please not this is just hypercritical.

Don't worry about it. I can be pretty critical myself, at times.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You borrow money OFF someone, you lend money TO someone. It's the teacher in me.

I think you'll find that you borrow money FROM someone. No wonder educational standards are slipping.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 March 2017 at 9:22PM
    Options
    When friends ask me for a loan, I just tell them that my money is all tied up. When they walk away I whisper to myself 'in little elastic bands'.:)
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

No wonder kids are leaving school functionally illiterate if you're really a teacher.

You borrow money FROM someone, you lend money to someone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure