Best Way to Buy Large Kitchen Items?

Options
There isn't much choice but Curry's these days (yes, John Lewis, which is usually the same price).
I'm looking to buy a new fridge freezer (American style) and dishwasher (already selected a Bosch)

But I am wondering how to select the largest discount possible.

I've read stories of people securing large discounts in store, from store staff giving them a discount.

I can get a discount card with 6% off the price (IE, buy £200 buy only pay £188). I could use this with the 1% from Topcashback too, but then won't get to speak to anyone.

I can only get 5% off John Lewis.

That's the biggest I can come up with.

Any other ideas?

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Search around for prices - there's a lot of internet suppliers who will quite happily beat high street prices (tesco, co-op electrical, even ao.com).

If you shop on the high street or in store you will pay more.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bear in mind that John Lewis often offer a longer guarantee period than other retailers - and at no extra charge. Worth factoring that in before you dismiss them as 'only' offering a 5% discount (and, of course, you can get points on your card if you have a John Lewis credit card, which all helps).
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't have a JL credit card.
    The 5% off is what I can get, not what they offer, plus I've never had to claim yet on a guarantee. I've checked and their standard is the same as Currys' - 2 years.

Perhaps I'll take a look at Tesco.

I found Mark's Electrical was £1 cheaper but then they didn't have a good enough fridge/freezer, so I am back to Curry's again. Bah! Although the free next day delivery is very welcomed.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    You should find the best prices on line. I used http://www.rdo.co.uk/ last time, but they are local to the SE.

Try a google search "buy"+ appliance description or model number
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport