Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 15th Sep 05, 6:10 PM
    • 111,767Posts
    • 223,135Thanks
    Quasar
    A great books that helps save
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:10 PM
    A great books that helps save 15th Sep 05 at 6:10 PM
    I have just finished reading "Saving The Planet Without Costing The Earth" by Donnachadh McCarthy. It's in most large bookshops and costs 11.99, and is printed by www.fusionpress.co.uk.

It's a very "green" book, and a veritable goldmine of tips that can really save money.

A particularly unusual one is to buy a wind-up radio which after purchase will only cost a little elbow grease to run. And I might add it would be useful in case of powercuts.

There are also wind-up torchlights.

One question thought: Where do I buy these items? Advice gratefully accepted!
    Drunk people, children and leggings always tell the truth.
Page 1
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 15th Sep 05, 6:18 PM
    • 3,625 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:18 PM
    Ive seen both of these in Robert Dyas which is a hardware shop.They had the radios a little while ago for about 10.They have the freeplay radio in Argos for 35 its on page 910 of the new catalogue.

Edit
    found the torch too on their website the RAC wind up torch radio underneath the picture sounds good too and is cheaper and has a charger for your mobile
    here[img]chrome://targetalert/content/skin/new.png[/img]
    Last edited by culpepper; 15-09-2005 at 6:26 PM.
  • Kippsy
    Bu**er, wrote a reply then deleted it! not clever... oh well, I have a wind up radio that I take with me when I go with OH for a picnic. So if you see someone (probably next summer) sitting in Kew Gardens with a fancy picinic rucksack a smug look because they got in for free and a wind up radio... that would be me! Enough boasting,

The radio is made by philips I think, it is only small and I got it for about 20 in John Lewis. One minute winding lasts about 30 mins, it will also take batteries but I can't see the point in that... maybe it is for the odd moment when your arms fall off...
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • competitionscafe
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:25 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:25 PM
    One question thought: Where do I buy these items? Advice gratefully accepted!
    by Quasar
    http://www.greenshop.co.uk/acatalog/Greenshop_online_Freeplay_radios_and_torches_32.ht ml

http://www.ogormans.co.uk/windup.htm

http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?q=freeplay+radio&btnG=Search+Froogle&scori ng=p

One which also has a solar panel! :
    http://www.ecotopia.co.uk/product_info.php?pName=freeplay-eyemax-radio&osCsid=2992fd46fc0d4ed8529202a955ed4cb6

http://www.naturalcollection.com/natcol/product.asp?bID=2549422&subgroup=1027

http://www.greenwarehouse.co.uk/index.php?p0=cat&id=23
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • competitionscafe
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:28 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:28 PM
    Ive seen both of these in Robert Dyas which is a hardware shop.They had the radios a little while ago for about 10.
    by culpepper
    Good find, looks like they still have them:
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&produ ctId=28685&langId=-1
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • Quasar
    • By Quasar 15th Sep 05, 6:47 PM
    • 111,767 Posts
    • 223,135 Thanks
    Quasar
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:47 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 6:47 PM
    Bu**er, wrote a reply then deleted it! not clever... oh well, I have a wind up radio that I take with me when I go with OH for a picnic. So if you see someone (probably next summer) sitting in Kew Gardens with a fancy picinic rucksack a smug look because they got in for free and a wind up radio... that would be me! Enough boasting,

The radio is made by philips I think, it is only small and I got it for about 20 in John Lewis. One minute winding lasts about 30 mins, it will also take batteries but I can't see the point in that... maybe it is for the odd moment when your arms fall off...
    by Kippsy

Seeing you in Kew Gardens? Not too far fetched, as I live in Acton and frequently travel to Kew/Richmond. Only 3 or 4 stops on the North London Line...
    Drunk people, children and leggings always tell the truth.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 15th Sep 05, 8:09 PM
    • 36,232 Posts
    • 32,397 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 15th Sep 05, 8:09 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 8:09 PM
    I had a wind up radio with a solar panel, don't think it ever got enough charge that way to do anything so I wouldn't bother. Also it had a big spring inside and eventually that 'went'.

I've now got one of the little Dyas radios, very happy with it. 9.99 last time I looked but I'm sure I saw it cheaper somewhere else - Wilkinson's maybe?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Still knitting! Aiming to finish this cardigan before I get my bus pass!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 15th Sep 05, 9:18 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 14,186 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 15th Sep 05, 9:18 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 9:18 PM
    I have one of the freeplay radios. It is the original one.

It is a little bit big but for what it is is worth while for when out in the garden. As it needs very little sun to work.

Yours

Calley
  • Kippsy
    • 15th Sep 05, 9:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 05, 9:59 PM
    Quasar...

probably no nore picnics this year, OH is a fair weather picnicer doesn't he understand the Brtishness of a picnic in November? Pouring rain... freezing cold... just thing, one bonus no ants or flies!!

Still keep an eye out for us, when we do go it is usually walking straight up from the palm house I think, near the lakey pond bit....
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

188Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter