Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Plastic storage pots - customising ... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Plastic storage pots - customising ...
Views: 1,305
# 1
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Plastic storage pots - customising ...

OK, so as part of the displacement therapy while waiting for my son's A2 results, I am starting to throw into a box things he'll find useful at Uni. And this includes some strong plastic storage pots, formerly filled with pasta sauces etc. So they'll be airtight, microwavable and freezable.

But I can't get the labels off. In some cases they are 'plasticised' or printed on, but sometimes they're just stuck on so tight you can't get anywhere with them. Soaking does nothing.

I had wondered about spraying the outside with acrylic paint (we've got some from his model-making days), but then I thought about the microwave and wasn't sure ...

So I'd welcome other bright ideas for leaving them in a state where he can - if he so chooses - write on them what's in them! Are sticky labels the only way to go? And does anyone do biggish ones which will stay stuck on so he doesn't have to keep finding a new one?
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
r.mac
Old 17-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

not sure if this will be much help or not!

avery do 'free smples' of lables - check out the freebies board. They aren't great in the freezer on plastic, but I find they are fine on foil.

otherwise, you can make glue out of water and flour - this might work and could go in a microwave I am sure.

good luck - I hope the EXAM results are good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aless02 View Post
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
The Following User Says Thank You to r.mac For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Rebob
Old 17-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Have you tried using a brillo type pad? I save all the take away cartons from ourselves and family. These are clear so you can see what is inside. They are also suitable for the microwave. Similar ones in the shops are £1 - £2 for 6!!!! Post which part of the country you are in and someone might have some they can pass on.

HTH
The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!!
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebob
Have you tried using a brillo type pad? I save all the take away cartons from ourselves and family. These are clear so you can see what is inside. They are also suitable for the microwave. Similar ones in the shops are £1 - £2 for 6!!!! Post which part of the country you are in and someone might have some they can pass on.

HTH
Thanks Rebob, I already have some takeaway containers but don't find them as good, lids tend not to be as leakproof. Haven't tried brillo yet, seems a bit like hard work but I guess it's worth a try ...
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

# 5
MrsB
Old 17-08-2005, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What about these?

http://www.lakelandlimited.com/is-bi...sAAADjAjugcIHT
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsB For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Agapanthus
Old 17-08-2005, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The glued on labels would probably respond to a solvent. Petrol (or lighter fuel) would probably dissolve the glue.

The printed ones might be shifted by acetone (nail varnish remover).

I'm not sure how ecologically friendly re-using the containers then becomes, though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Agapanthus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Nile
Old 17-08-2005, 2:28 PM

A word of caution........do a test spot with a cotton bud dipped in acetone or nail varnish remover first........you might find that it destroys the plastic surface.
Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nile For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB
I have SO got to get to Lakeland. Ah, have just found that I can get a cheap day return to Cardiff (my nearest, which also has a clearance section, I believe!) on the train for less than £10, so I can threaten my DH that I either need a lift there where he can supervise my spending, or I'll go on my own!

# 9
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agapanthus
The glued on labels would probably respond to a solvent. Petrol (or lighter fuel) would probably dissolve the glue.

The printed ones might be shifted by acetone (nail varnish remover).

I'm not sure how ecologically friendly re-using the containers then becomes, though!
Yup, that's my worry too! Plus we tend not have too many solvents in the house, and when I start making funny smells I get into trouble.

I think I'm going with the labels lower down the page so far ...

# 10
MrsB
Old 17-08-2005, 3:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Lakeland do a FAB mail order service... that way you can buy what you like, unsupervised, and still save the train fare

BTW - free delivery if you spend about £35.00 and if you spend a bit more (about £45.00) you get to chose a free gift. So if there's lots you want / need I'd go with mail order.
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
# 11
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB
Lakeland do a FAB mail order service... that way you can buy what you like, unsupervised, and still save the train fare

BTW - free delivery if you spend about £35.00 and if you spend a bit more (about £45.00) you get to chose a free gift. So if there's lots you want / need I'd go with mail order.
Oh I know about their mail order, but I don't really NEED £35 worth of stuff ... I don't know though, I've just ordered a new bread machine, my old one wasn't big enough to take 'standard' bread mix packets, maybe I could manage it ...

On the other hand, I've never been on a shopping spree to Cardiff, and there is a bargain basement there, and ...

It's so hard, isn't it?

Actually I don't think my DH will let me go on my own in case I feel ill (I'm off sick for a few weeks, I'm allowed to potter around but not supposed to overdo it).

I'll head over to the Wales board and ask about good bookshops in Cardiff! That'll tempt him!

# 12
MrsMW
Old 17-08-2005, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you like to use packet bread mix, the ones they sell at Lakeland are great. They are made by Carrs and cost about £6.50 for 10 packets. I use them regularly because I'm disabled and can't always get to the shop to buy yeast when I need it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMW For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMW
If you like to use packet bread mix, the ones they sell at Lakeland are great. They are made by Carrs and cost about £6.50 for 10 packets. I use them regularly because I'm disabled and can't always get to the shop to buy yeast when I need it.
Yes I've heard good things about the Lakeland bread mixes. Trouble is I can never remember whether I've heard it from other people, or just them raving about things in their catalogue! Still, their 'money back if not satisfied' offer is so good you just have to try some things, don't you?

Still, off to the Wales board to find a good bookshop in Cardiff ...

# 14
jordylass
Old 17-08-2005, 7:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I just bought a book at a boot sale by kim and aggie on how to clean your house and they say to use WD40 t remove the glue from sticky labels, I've not tried this myself yet.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordylass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordylass
I just bought a book at a boot sale by kim and aggie on how to clean your house and they say to use WD40 t remove the glue from sticky labels, I've not tried this myself yet.
If I was at the glue stage, I'd feel a lot more hopeful. However, there is no apparent damage to the actual labels! I know I haven't tried the brillo yet, I think I am now pinning my hopes on the labels from Lakeland. Any excuse ...

# 16
Katgoddess
Old 17-08-2005, 8:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Morrisons sell clear plastic tubs with lids 3 for 99p.

Similar to tupperwear boxes but thinner and with clear thin lids.

They look big enough to hold a portion of frozen food each.

WD40 and it's cheaper equalvilants do work to remove bits of glue and tape.

(You can tell I work for Morrisons, can't you with my posts. )
"A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
The Following User Says Thank You to Katgoddess For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Savvy_Sue
Old 17-08-2005, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katgoddess
Morrisons sell clear plastic tubs with lids 3 for 99p.

Similar to tupperwear boxes but thinner and with clear thin lids.

They look big enough to hold a portion of frozen food each.

WD40 and it's cheaper equalvilants do work to remove bits of glue and tape.

(You can tell I work for Morrisons, can't you with my posts. )
Well I love Morrisons, we've not that long got one round here and it's been the only supermarket I've been able to use with my head the way it is!

But I bought one of their little round pots so I could carry round decaff t-bags with me, only the lid doesn't stay on very well.

I've bought DS a couple of screw top beakers from Morrisons, one for sugar and one for t-bags, and he asked me what for, because he doesn't drink tea! I'm trying to explain that he MIGHT have friends who do drink tea or coffee and it would be friendly to be able to offer them a drink! I'm not going mad or anything, I'm sure a screw top beaker will hold enough t-bags to last his friends a term ...

But I'm still working on what I've got lurking around the kitchen that he can have.