Home gym equipment for a small space

Options

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    Whats your budget?

I suggest a well fitted pair of running trainers and a few kettlebells or free weights would be your best bet.

Dont be tempted to by any gym equipment from shopping channels, its usually gimmicks/junk.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Whats your budget?

I suggest a well fitted pair of running trainers and a few kettlebells or free weights would be your best bet.

Dont be tempted to by any gym equipment from shopping channels, its usually gimmicks/junk.

I need cardio though, I do yoga for strength, balance and flexibility and I'm happy with that. Its my heart and lungs I'm worried about! Need to get them working harder!

This is why I'd like a treadmill ideally but they just seem impractical, was really hoping for a recommendation for a good home cardio machine.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    We have an air resistance rowing machine that folds up easily.

You couldn't post a link could you? Rowing machine might well fit the bill!
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    It's a Greenmaster Easy-Up. Japanese model.
    It's been fabulous. I could not have asked for a better bargain. Maybe I just got lucky.

Some people thought it was a foolish buy because it would only last a couple of years but 17 years later it's still running beautifully every day. If it dies tomorrow I will not begrudge it because it has exceeded all expectations and I would be sorry to see it go.
    But easy-up it is not!

17 years? Is it too much to hope they are still being made? Off to google...
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Why are you thinking of buying a treadmill rather than going outside?

Surely the dogs can last 30 minutes without you.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You couldn't post a link could you? Rowing machine might well fit the bill!

It's like this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-fit-AR1-Artemis-Rowing-Machine/dp/B000TQK6YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520618607&sr=8-1&keywords=v-fit+rowing+machine

We bought it on eBay about ten years ago. With gym equipment, it is always worth looking at secondhand stuff. People pay a fortune for it new, get fed up after a couple of months and flog it on eBay.

We use it to supplement a couple of hundred KGs of free weight plates and a multi gym, squat rack etc. All bought cheaply secondhand.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Why are you thinking of buying a treadmill rather than going outside?

Surely the dogs can last 30 minutes without you.

Helpful response, thanks!

The answer is in the OP.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    It's like this one...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/V-fit-AR1-Artemis-Rowing-Machine/dp/B000TQK6YK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520618607&sr=8-1&keywords=v-fit+rowing+machine

We bought it on eBay about ten years ago. With gym equipment, it is always worth looking at secondhand stuff. People pay a fortune for it new, get fed up after a couple of months and flog it on eBay.

We use it to supplement a couple of hundred KGs of free weight plates and a multi gym, squat rack etc. All bought cheaply secondhand.

Thanks, will have a look. I've been on ebay/gumtree and found a few nearly new treadmills nearby. Looks a like a lot of people buy them and never actually use them. Hopefully that won't be me in a few months! :rotfl:
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Helpful response, thanks!

The answer is in the OP.

Erm, no it isnt.

You said " I don't want to leave my elderly (hence the change from brisk to gentle walks!) dogs alone any more than I have to".

If you are now housebound perhaps you should have said, rather then get high and mighty when people dare ask you a question when trying to help.

A round trip to the gym can take a couple of hours. A run outside can take as little as twenty minutes.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Erm, no it isnt.

You said " I don't want to leave my elderly (hence the change from brisk to gentle walks!) dogs alone any more than I have to".

If you are now housebound perhaps you should have said, rather then get high and mighty when people dare ask you a question when trying to help.

A round trip to the gym can take a couple of hours. A run outside can take as little as twenty minutes.

I don't want to leave my dogs anymore than I have to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure