Claiming State Pension Online

2»

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    mjmal51 wrote: »
    I chose the date to be in the new tax year and the day of the week you are paid depends on the last 2 digits of your NI number.

I don't believe that that applies if you have deferred, well it didn't with the old one. My last 2 digits are in the 40s & I am paid on a Friday. I specified a start date (in plenty of time) and was paid 4 weeks after that. The nSP may well be different of course.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    The old pension can only start at the beginning of a pàyweek because it is only paid in whole weeks.

NSP can start at any time and the odd days up to the next payday are pro rated. This gets rid of the "feature" that meant that people didn't get paid for the period between their SPa date and the start of the next pay week unless their SPa date and the payday happened to be aligned.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    greenglide wrote: »
    The old pension can only start at the beginning of a pàyweek because it is only paid in whole weeks.

NSP can start at any time and the odd days up to the next payday are pro rated. This gets rid of the "feature" that meant that people didn't get paid for the period between their SPa date and the start of the next pay week unless their SPa date and the payday happened to be aligned.

And to be blunt when they die then the pension dies also on that date and not at the end of the pay week (as per the old pension). Nobody gains by so much as a day.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    This is true but personally I would rather have the extra days when I am alive rather then when I am dead!

If you arrange to die on a payday (one in seven chance) the the old rules and the new rules pay the same amount!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure