impossible to find FA for DB transfer

Options

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 December 2017 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Maybe i have a reason for my atitude, FA turned up to my house in new sportscar,

Jealousy is not a reason to have an attitude. People who work hard are entitled to spend their money how they like. Maybe he doesnt drink or smoke and puts his money into his car. Maybe that is his hobby. You don't know anything about their lifestyle. Maybe his wife is the main earner or it was inherited money.

Also, sports cars dont necessarily cost much. Mine cost about a third less than the family car.
    initial consultation i was told fee would be £1k, later on had 2nd more comprehensive meeting where fee went up to £3k, like I said FAs ripping us off

Maybe once he understood your personality and what you actually wanted to do (which is almost certainly a bad thing to do), he upped the charge to act as a passive blocker. Can't see any rip off here though.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • iro
    iro Posts: 1,237 Forumite
    Options
    Just completed my transfer very very happy!
  • iro
    Options
    3% of the cetv but that is the best price I could find, has anyone done it cheaper?.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    iro wrote: »
    3% of the cetv but that is the best price I could find, has anyone done it cheaper?.

In this situation, size is important. If looking at percentages, I have advised on a DB transfer for less than 0.5% of the CETV. But it was a substantial transfer.

On a pot of £36000 such as the OP’s, 3% would be quite cheap.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Was that from the LGPS?
  • iro
    Options
    3% of the transfer value
  • iro
    Options
    Paid from the transfer value when it arrived at its destination outside the DBS
  • iro
    Options
    Very happy no longer need to rely on the rules being changed and if I drop dead tomorrow a large cash payment goes to my family.

This is not meant to be advice it just suits my own circumstances, please seek your own advice.

The FCA make you use an IFA and they charge an amount which they are entitled to do but there is not a lot of choice in my experience, because many IFAs are not in a position to offer advice on this type of transaction.
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Your fellow council-taxpayers will thank you for it, if they knew the ins and outs. And I salute your public spiritness - perhaps Nigel Farage might read this thread and think similar thoughts about his EU pension...?
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The FCA make you use an IFA and they charge an amount which they are entitled to do but there is not a lot of choice in my experience, because many IFAs are not in a position to offer advice on this type of transaction.

It's not the FCA that make you use an IFA, it's the law.

If there's not a lot of choice, it's because advisers choose not to offer this sort of advice. And that's because it's fraught with difficulty and the risk of complaints, years after the event when people get a lower income than they anticipated because they transferred without fully understanding the risks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure