Working Outside Cold Weather - Using Own Car As Shelter

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2017 at 9:40AM
    McKneff wrote: »
    And this is helpful in what way.
    The op really doesnt need a lecture,
    And you have better advice then? Where is it? This is the job. The OP took a job that requires outside security work in December. And exactly how are they doing security work sitting in their car?

Please find me the legislation that requires the employer to pay a premium for night work, for it being cold, or for overtime. None of these things should come as a surprise to the OP. They will have been given the rate of pay in their terms of employment. They will presumably have realised that it's cold in December if you take a job working outside. So what are they complaining about?

Assuming, of course, that we aren't being played. Which I suspect we are. There's always been a simple answer to not liking your new job. It doesn't require posting on here to work that out.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe invest in some thermal underwear - Aldi have merino wool stuff on offer and its brilliant. You could then claim it on tax if you don't use it for anything else.

As Wainwright once said - "There's no such thing as bad weather, only unsuitable clothing.”
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Wearing the correct clothes will mean there is no need to put the heating on in the car. Thermal underwear, layers plus boots and a couple of pairs of socks is what you need.
  • "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Wearing the correct clothes will mean there is no need to put the heating on in the car. Thermal underwear, layers plus boots and a couple of pairs of socks is what you need.

And keep active, i.e. walking around instead of standing/sitting still. Isn't that what security should be doing anyway?

I used to do 8 hour night time foot patrols when I was in the police, typically 10pm to 6am. With just an hour in the station for a break. With proper clothing and keeping moving, you're fine.
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    If you do go down the claiming route, as them to pay for some cloths to mop up condensation, and some window demister fluid too
  • Q*bert wrote: »
    Recently started work at a security company and from the off the company are trying their arm.

I'm on night shift, working outside and it right now December, it is freezing cold. The only source of warmth is my own car, but, even then...The engine needs to be started to turn on the heater to provide warmth.

This is not my responsibility and I'd like to ask the company for some extra cash for fuel or they can pay for somewhere warm...seems fair enough to me..!

Your employer (security firm) will have needed to have done both risk assessment and a method statement.

Ask to see them..also what does your assignment instructions state.

Dont forget they need to supply facilities for your health and safety.

Feel free to PM me..Security manager so happy to help.
  • Q*bert
    Q*bert Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Cool replies, pity some of them suck a bit like...You know, what to expect like..lol.

Thing is, nobody turns up with a car and according to you lot, tough !!!!, who gives a f**k...You knew the score.

Yeah, I worked at a sawmill..Any of you armchair warriors lifted any beech hardwood railway sleepers onto a stack when it's snowing.

Pity...

Thing is the company are supposed to supply a place, but I suppose thats Austerity for you.

And really I do feel for the relatives of some of the plonkers who've replied...Happy are we...???
  • Timalay
    Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Buy a good pair of thermals.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Q*bert wrote: »
    Cool replies, pity some of them suck a bit like...You know, what to expect like..lol.

Thing is, nobody turns up with a car and according to you lot, tough !!!!, who gives a f**k...You knew the score.

Yeah, I worked at a sawmill..Any of you armchair warriors lifted any beech hardwood railway sleepers onto a stack when it's snowing.

Pity...

Thing is the company are supposed to supply a place, but I suppose thats Austerity for you.

And really I do feel for the relatives of some of the plonkers who've replied...Happy are we...???

Presumably your union has been able to help better than MSE?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure