PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What was day to day food in your childhood?

Options

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    We sometimes had roast on Sundays too. I remember it being mostly chicken. Sunday tea was always salad and something.The salad in the middle in a bowl ,it was always lettuce, tomato and pickled cucumber and the something doled out plate to plate. Often it was tinned ham or fish. There was that pappy bread and marg to go with it. We usually had some sort of wrapped biscuit like penguin and maybe chocolate teacakes or sponge roll (co op made). In the week there was corned beef hash, bubble and squeak , curry , sausage and mash but we also had school dinners ,so ploughed through mountains of food. Breakfast was either boiled egg or cereal . At about 7 pm we would have supper which was usually toast with bananas or jam or something. There was always tea to drink or water from the tap. If dad cooked it was sausage egg and chips all done in the frying pan.
  • patchwork_cat
    patchwork_cat Posts: 5,874 Forumite
    edited 28 November 2017 at 8:21PM
    Options
    This is jogging so many memories.

No, I didn't have to ask to be excused after eating. And we were allowed to talk during meals - I remember staying overnight at a friend's house and eating the evening meal I was shocked that they (and I!!) weren't allowed to talk at all. And I remember being shocked by the behaviour of my friend and her brother - opening their mouths to show their food, kicking each other under the table. Maybe if their parents had chatted to them, they wouldn't have needed to behave like that!!

One of the principle reasons that sitting around the table is advocated is to talk about your day and discuss things.
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I remember with horror the time at the table (both lunch and dinner, as my father worked split hours at the office ). The food was good if you liked meat and fish. I didn't, was probably naturally vegetarian from an early age. But because of lots of veg always been served I was ok in that sense. The awful thing was, the meals table was a sort of tribunal and judgement area. A place where they would comment about my greed and body shape. Also a place of humiliation.

It has totally scuppered my body image. Which is so ridiculous because when, later in life, I looked at my pictures in my early teens, I was really slim and had a normal body size.

When i was much younger whenever I could I ate at my granny 's where I felt loved and cherished. When we moved I was 13 and for a couple of years I tried my best to eat in the kitchen with our lovely old maid (not always possible unfortunately). I left home at 15 and not a second too soon.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 November 2017 at 7:15PM
    Options
    I am just watching an episode of the historical series, The Wartime Farm (BBC 2 Nov 28th 4 pm) about wartime food production etc. If you want to see how a German Loaf made from silage was made (this is what the Germans ended up having to eat) you can see one being made on iPlayer (Fermented grass cuttings, wood flour (ie sawdust !!) and a tiny drop of honey.
    At least we were never reduced to having to eat that!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I understand that in WW1 bits of sawdust was sometimes added to 'mixed fruit jam ' to look like pips :):):)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A delightful reference wooden raspberry pips here

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HNS19060327.2.44.1

Apparently the suffragettes campaigned about this activity in the run up to WWI, where some rich industrialists used women for sweated labour in their factories to make these pips so that they could make cheaper jam and therefore more profits from their jam manufacturing activities.
  • M.E.
    M.E. Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 7:30PM
    Options
    My Grampy (an upright fellow of the village if ever there was one!) made my Dad carve little slivers of wood into [STRIKE]apple [/STRIKE] turnip ;)jam coloured pink by beetroot to sell it as raspberry jam!
    Raspberry jam has pips!:D
    He also re-cycled (up-cycled) wreaths from one village graveyard to another village's funeral (making a profit!) by getting to know the organist and which village in the area had the next funeral. He cycled at the dead of night, nicked the wreath and rearranged the wreath adding wild flowers... hey presto new wreath!
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was born 1954 and reading all these posts brought back so many memories, a couple I would like to mention
    Chips often, cooked in lard I assume, it was solid when not being used, then sausages cooked in the same pan
    Dripping on toast with about a lb of salt!
    Healthy diet ! However I still weigh 10st 2 lb and eat what I like(much healthier though)
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • CapricornLass
    Options
    Oh yes! And we all ate together round a table, and TALKED together. No eating in front of the telly.

I must admit I did manage to get everyone eating round the table for the evening meal when the boys were small. Getting them to ask to get down from the table was much harder!
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We all have to ask if we want to leave the table - even DH and I. It just seems rude to leave someone to eat on their own! We don't eat in front of the telly because there is no telly to eat in front of :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure