MSE Poll: Have you haggled with Sky, BT, the AA and more this year? Did you succeed?

Options
Poll started 14 November 2017

Have you haggled with Sky, BT, the AA and more this year? Did you succeed?

Haggling with companies can provide big savings – on anything from digital TV and broadband to breakdown cover and insurance. Each year we try to gauge the success rates of those who’ve done it. So please let us know whether you’ve gained cheaper prices, extra goods, better deals or reduced interest.

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• DavidKeogh
    Options
    I am having problems negotiating with TSB and I see from your poll that very few have had any success with them.
  • tenuissent
    Options
    I find it disturbing that a few days ago the AA charged me a certain amount to renew my car insurance, but when I telephoned to ask why it had increased by so much, the team member seemed authorised to drop it at once. Another question was followed by another drop in price, by a total of £50. It's the blatant over-charging that is disturbing, as if it is now perfectly acceptable to take advantage of the busy or diffident.
  • tenuissent
    Options
    PS I found Saga impossible to discuss increases with, in spite of warning them I was looking elsewhere, which is why I changed to the AA.
  • JarkayColt
    Options
    I had a fairly big success with Tesco Mobile thanks to the mobile haggling guide on this site. I was paying £10 a month for a contract that was due to expire and found a decent SIM only deal for £5. I phoned Tesco to see if they could match it and actually what they came back with was dismal by comparison (£6 for a far worse bundle). I wonder how many would walk away at that stage? They'll say it's all they can do but I find you have to go double or nothing and reject the first offer. If you're persuasive enough and know exactly what you want you'll find them scrambling for something better. I knew what my usage was and insisted my budget was just £5 and they came back with a deal much better than my original contract (makes you wonder why they can't do that in the first place?) Incidentally, I use Tesco Xtras so my monthly phone bill is only £2 a month. I really don't think it's possible to find better than that.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Virgin Media Broadband and Phone: Got it down from £80p/m to £38p/m by saying it was costing too much.

o2 down from £11 sim only to £6 sim only without changing 500mb airtime plan.

3 down from £23.50 to sim only to £9 sim only without changing 1GB airtime plan.

However, Admiral insurance renewal for our three cars they said could be reduced from £2,500 to £2,100, and that was with an existing customer discount! So we went with AXA and Aviva which for the three cars (one car and two cars) came to £950. Admiral wouldn't match that that overall price.
  • viral22679
    Options
    I haggled with EE, they were offering 18GB 4G for £21 12 monthly contract.. after chatting with them for few minutes got 30GB 4G, BT sports Free for 12 months, for £17.99. When I checked their website the deal they have given me for the above price generally they charge £41.99.....every little helps...
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you haggle with a bank? Presumably this is for mortgages? I don't see them haggling with anything else.
  • yehehehes
    yehehehes Posts: 57 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2017 at 6:18PM
    Options
    No luck with getting the Amex card fee waived after year 1 (was waived in year 1) which, was my preferred option at the time so I just cancelled the card and got my wife to take out an Amex card instead (with a supplementary for me - free) where we will earn a bonus and not pay any annual fee in the first year. I sense this will repeat itself down the line. A bit of admin but works out better than anything they would offer (including any renewal points bonus).

Sky - called to cancel TV and they offered me the original bundle (not on the sky Q box) + unlimited fibre broadband (40MB speed) + payg landline including rental for £30pm (Line rental was £9.99pm, broadband was £6.01pm and tv £14pm - 18 month contract - so don't have to go through this as often) + £10 installation charge (which had I pushed would probably have been waived). In the past I've paid around £8 for tv so didn't think that was the best but BT wanted to charge me £35.50pm just for broadband and line rental. Left BT - they did try to offer something later but they couldn't come close to the sky offer.

Also always have some success with my car insurance and home insurance. Never accepted their renewals but I do like and prefer my providers (churchill and direct line).
    :kisses: oh yeah yea yea
  • pgthompsonco
    Options
    I have spent years arguing with BT but never get anywhere until I do a data request and threaten legal action or go to Ombudsman. However with Admiral and Saga I always get an instant refund when they have a mistake pointed out, which is only twice.
  • Rogue1971
    Options
    I got my Sky internet and line rental down from £38.99 pm to £20 per month yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure