Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 7th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    • 268Posts
    • 73Thanks
    MSE Luke
    British Gas customers - thereís a hidden way to cut £130+ off your billÖ
    • 7th Nov 17, 8:26 PM
    British Gas customers - thereís a hidden way to cut £130+ off your billÖ 7th Nov 17 at 8:26 PM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • han_nah95
    • By han_nah95 8th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:34 AM
    I am already with British Gas fixed until August 2019.

Will I be charged a exit fee to move tariffs?
    • Carole McMahon
    • By Carole McMahon 8th Nov 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carole McMahon
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:36 AM
    British Gas Service problems
    • 8th Nov 17, 8:36 AM
    Not sure whatís happening with British Gas at the moment but think theyíve got service problems. Iíve just switched to a cheaper supplier but still have home care plan for boiler cover which requires annual service. Theyíve just cancelled my service appointment for today which I arranged months ago, as there are Ďso many breakdowns in my areaí and canít now do it til January so we have to go all through Xmas with risk of boiler breakdown! & thatís after paying them £20-£30 a month for years with no call outs!! Any other ideas for better options?? With all their adverts saying how they can fix anything & their Ďhero for thatí campaign I think theyíve bitten off more than they can chew & cant now service existing clients! Either that or theyíre losing customers and cutting costs. Watch this space!!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2,399 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    • 8th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    • 8th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    We've also been with BG for years, and have had no problems with the boiler servicing.

However, we have always had the annual service done by the end of August, rather than leave it until the last minute.

We were told by a BG engineer that they have major problems every year with people who don't use the heating for months, switch it on at the first sign of frost and then wonder why they have a problem. They prioritise repair call-outs to the elderly and the infirm, thereby leaving routine servicing to the end.

It isn't a matter of not having enough staff to cope - if they did, then many of these 'extra' engineers wouldn't have enough work to do in the rest of the year. That isn't good business management.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 08-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • mrmadcat
    • By mrmadcat 14th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    • 68 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    • 14th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    breach of rules?
    • 14th Nov 17, 4:49 PM
    hang on a minute...i thought that ofgem ruled energy suppliers must always inform and offer you the best value tariff for you that they have based on your estimated consumption? they even extended this to cover white labels like sainsburys...

isn't this in breach of the ofgem rules as they aren't informing customers and are only offering it to those who try to switch through 3rd parties like MSE?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

2,924Users online

Martin's Twitter