What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 6th November?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    Options
    Mooooorning! :) A new week, the first of a new month :D

Gotta start getting ready as lots to do this morning

* iron madam's clothes & [STRIKE]make pack lunch[/STRIKE] have convinced her to have (free for yr r) school dinners :money:
    * go to work after dropping her off so I can resubmit my expenses
    * by weekly bus pass :D
    * wrap up warm so it isn't hellish! Listen to audio book on buses :)
    * take sandwich with me so not tempted to buy anything
    * think I'll drop my boots in to be mended
    * need to start deep clean of house - but also want to go to the allotment. Hmmmmm not going to have time for both I don't think so allotment is going to take the hit :(
    * bake red velvet cake as friend's coming round after school. Will make some scones while I'm at it
    * hope to list a few more things on fleabay :)
    * do some banking stuff

That's loads! Have a great day y'all
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Morning all :hello: thanks for starting us determined

I’m hoping a new week will bring me a clean slate ;) wfh so that’s a start :o things today:
    Reconcile spreadsheet to bank account
    Something from freezer for tea and something out for tomorrow that I can put in sc
    Some washing on radiators/airer whilst the heatings on, I’ll be shuffling
    Have set timer up for heating so it’s only on a couple of times a day for an hour at a time, find this is the best way to keep our bills low, as you can put the temperature for each slot too
    Freeze some donuts and bread rolls we didn’t eat yesterday
    Packed lunch for dd
    Car being serviced, will be no cost to me as work pay but hope nothing needs doing as it’ll be a faff and I do need it back for tomorrow

Right, must get on to a have achieved something before walking smalls to school. Enjoy your day.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2017 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Morning folks

I'm feeling a bit fragile today. Got a bit panicky yesterday - OH is insisting on driving the car around while this weird post-MOT noise hasn't been sorted and I'm not happy about it. It's going in tomorrow, but OH has an appointment in Cheadle in the morning so will be taking it there and back before it goes into the garage.

Dealt with the panic in a particularly poor manner - by mainlining 3 flapjacks (of the revolting Blackfriars type) and a bottle of wine. Suffice to say I'm not feeling my best now. And guess what? The problem is still there! Who would have thought it?

Still, a fresh day today. The sun is shining and I am going to deal with things far more appropriately.

Mission:
    • Meals from plan
    • NO DRINKS
    • Use sensible techniques to remove panicky feelings
    • Gym at lunch time. - went for a walk instead. Decided not to do complex work with a muzzy head
    • Renew home insurance
    • Pick up milk. Check for ys stuff while I'm at it.
    • Crochet
    • Pick up the sauces on the way home as didn't do this yesterday
    • Heating off
    Very short list... will try to add more

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • uphillstruggler
    uphillstruggler Posts: 152 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2017 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Morning, everyone.

Oh CLF - what a pain. Cars are such a nuisance.

I have a week off work so aiming to be productive but didn't sleep particularly well last night so it hasn't gotten off to a cracking start. Today should hopefully be a NSD with meals from stores. Which reminds me - must update my signature.

I've had stomach issues recently - nothing major but just feel a bit like I need a cleanse, and to reset my body, if that makes sense. Completely unrelated, our flat is on the market and a viewing was scheduled for this morning. Having had a call to say the viewing was cancelled, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to seize the day and make up a "colon-cleansing" drink of DOOM I saw on the internet. Blended dates, lemon, hot water and flaxseed were my weapons. Midway through the glass of wretchedness I had a call to say that a new appliance would be delivered within the hour - well, you can imagine my horror when I knew that the race was on - would the drink work first? Or would it take effect mid-delivery? :eek:

Today I have/will:
    *[STRIKE]check accounts[/STRIKE] done
    *[STRIKE]put washing away (where does this stuff come from? It never ends!)[/STRIKE] done
    *[STRIKE]payment to emergency account[/STRIKE] done
    *meal plan for the week
    [STRIKE]*meals from stores (revolting drink; salad for lunch; dinner TBC; no coffee for me today :( )[/STRIKE] done; had some pineapple on the turn so currently baking a pineapple upside-down cake
    *sort out my handbag
    *work on second income idea
    *exercise
    *[STRIKE]drink lots of water[/STRIKE] this is happening

Have a good day all,
    US
    Emergencies account: £500/500
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 November 2017 at 11:49AM
    Options
    That did make me laugh, US, I suffer with anxiety-related IBS and if I don't take my ADs properly that's pretty much the story of my life!

I'm out for lunch with my mum today, she won't agree to us going for lunch in the biggish town near her (so I can do a bit of Job Spotting) as that would involve taking me to her regular cafe and she is embarrassed by me (as I'm overweight and don't, 'make an effort' to look smart.) We will instead go to a smaller town. I might go to the other one after but it bugs me to pay for parking twice.

I need to drop off a parcel on my way and then I will pick up some cold meats and my prescription also.

I'm planning on taking out some YS lamb mince to make shepherds pie tonight, I need to buy some carrots for it and I will make it in two separate dishes this time so it doesn't get eaten all in one night.

Must dash as late already!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Midway through the glass of wretchedness I had a call to say that a new appliance would be delivered within the hour - well, you can imagine my horror when I knew that the race was on - would the drink work first? Or would it take effect mid-delivery? :eek:
    US

sorry but this cracked me up :rotfl:
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Oh dear, what a day. I’m certainly not going to win any prizes for my baking prowess any time soon.

Tried to be all MS and use up my leftover pineapple. So I found a recipe online for a pineapple upside down cake that would use some of the coconut flour and coconut sugar we have lying around.

I won’t lie: I was sucked in by recipes that claimed to produce a “piña colada” in cake form. It was all going fine until ... I’ve just pulled it out of the oven and it smells delicious but it looks like something the cat dragged in! All crumbling and looking like a small heap of cat litter! Oh dear. I’ve always been a terrible baker and I don’t think that’s set to change...

Maybe I can rescue it with a little crème fraîche or some ice cream... :eek:
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    Oh dear, what a day. I’m certainly not going to win any prizes for my baking prowess any time soon.

Tried to be all MS and use up my leftover pineapple. So I found a recipe online for a pineapple upside down cake that would use some of the coconut flour and coconut sugar we have lying around.

I won’t lie: I was sucked in by recipes that claimed to produce a “piña colada” in cake form. It was all going fine until ... I’ve just pulled it out of the oven and it smells delicious but it looks like something the cat dragged in! All crumbling and looking like a small heap of cat litter! Oh dear. I’ve always been a terrible baker and I don’t think that’s set to change...

Maybe I can rescue it with a little crème fraîche or some ice cream... :eek:

Coconut flour absorbs a lot of liquid - maybe that's why?

you could always take a leaf out of my book...

Set the clock back to 2003. Carrielovesfanta is a student and her work friend asks her round for a party. Friend and other partygoers are vegan (and punks!) and this is when you couldn't really get much vegan stuff.

I decide to bake a vegan lemon drizzle loaf cake. Punk friend advises that you can substitute eggs with an orange juice-bicarb mixture.

Cake is rising wonderfully and excitedly show my housemates as I remove it from the oven. The cake doesn't so much sink as IMPLODE. Housemate suggests turning it upside down and icing it. Cake disintegrates like a clown car. :rotfl:

Not to be deterred, I stewed a load of apples that I had knocking around in vodka, put the broken up cake on the top, sprinkled on more vodka, piped "Happy Birthday" onto it, and turned up at the party with the stewed apples and the rest of the vodka. :beer:
    Everyone at party too stoned and out of their gourds on mushrooms to notice. Success all round :D
  • uphillstruggler
    Options
    Haha, CLF! Brilliant :rotfl::T
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    DNMS many thanks for starting off this week's thread

US I can also relate but not by drinking a drink of doom!

Have sent my intestines into trauma after the food poisoning last week and a roast beef dinner yesterday. Have to see the doc the end of the week but it looks like i won't be able to eat beef anymore.
    I had such a productive day yesterday and lots of plans for today. Just spent the day sleeping and sipping water......the upside I've spent no money and apart from internals feel more normal. Getting a bit fed up of health getting in the way of plans.
    Need to be on the ball tomorrow as im being filmed at an event-bad timing but cant be helped.
    Must catch up on paperwork and messages tomorrow.
    US it would have to be custard for me with the cake. Wouldn't care about the state of it, custard solves everything says the person who is on nil by mouth at the minute!!!!
    Not alot else going on but I'm determined to get out tomorrow

CLF I would have been a bit stressed about the car, hate anything like that

Have a good evening everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts