Need advice been dismissed after 33yrs service

Options
124»

Comments

• Martinosad
    Options
    lol get them to do it lol, can anyone give me some good advice for the appeal hearing, I am still not back to myself with mental illness and tablets cloud my judgment
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Martinosad wrote: »
    lol get them to do it lol, can anyone give me some good advice for the appeal hearing, I am still not back to myself with mental illness and tablets cloud my judgment
    You won't want to hear this, so don't react - think about it. The best advice is to withdraw the appeal. You can't "give them hell". And this is only damaging yourself, keeping the lost battle going. Undervalued is right - but it'll be you that ends up in the grave, not them. You don't want to go back, and you have a new job. They won't clear your name, so you are doing nothing but preserving the anger you feel, and that is hurting you. I know you aren't listening to this because it's unpalatable, but you need to. I am sure you are right and your union activity has played into the dismissal. And your union rep said the same thing to you. But you know better than this - you have not a shred of evidence to support that claim. The dismissal is fair in law, and there is not a thing that the union can do about that. You must, in 25 years, have been in that position with members before. Where something may not be right or fair, but legally it is. You know the difference! I know you do because nobody in a union for 25 years doesn't....

When something like this happens to a union officer, there is only ONE thing that makes an employer back down. I know you know what that is too. It isn't a union official - it's the members of the union taking industrial action to protect their rep and their own interests. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen so much now, and your former colleagues aren't going to stand up for you. If they were, they'd have done it before now. I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt - except my then employer wasn't as clever because their trumped up evidence was readily disproved and their manufactured evidence was easy to prove incorrect. It's rubbish, but this isn't the unions fault. There's nothing they can do. It's the members fault if you want too blame someone.

So, honestly, I'd not put myself through this. You have nothing to gain and a lot to lose in terms of your health.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    How will your new employer feel if you have to request time off to attend the appeal / tribunal. You have a new job so it's time to leave the past behind. The only person who will suffer if you don't is you.
    A former colleague of my wife was effectively forced out of his job over 10 years ago. He still keeps in touch with my wife and every time they have any contact he still goes on about the b******* who destroyed his life. It achieves absolutely nothing.
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    I was royally screwed over by a union many years ago and have never joined one since. I agree with the others that you should drop the appeal and move on, put all your energies into the new job and get your revenge by knowing that they lost a loyal and hardworking union member/employee.
  • Martinosad
    Options
    Yes I have told my new employer . I just want to stand in front off them tell them the truth and smile in their faces, to show im not beaten and down then I can happily move on
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure