End Prescription Charges

2»

Comments

• decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Here in Wales we have 'free' scrips.

Before any clever !!!! types it I know scrips are paid for somewhere down the line.

But free scrips are a red herring,

The majority who receive these scrips would have done so under various exemptions anyway.

Up to debate if some wish these exemptions to be curtailed.
  • decbel wrote: »
    Here in Wales we have 'free' scrips.

But on the other hand we have to travel to England for many treatments that simply aren't available due to location. I'm thinking particularly about mental health issues.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2017 at 11:21PM
    ECPEngland wrote: »
    Another issue with the prepayement cards is that people forget to renew them. It leaves people stuck paying full price until they can get another card. Also, sometimes people forget they've expired and end up with fines.

Well if you buy outright, yes.

But if you sign up for a DD option you can pay £10.40 a month for 10 months. And it will auto renew every year until you tell then to stop it. They even give you a months warning you are coming up for renewal and allow you to either cancel or renew.

I know because I'm on this option.

So basically for the price of a 1 item prescription per month you can be signed up and be covered for future proscriptions. So within 12 proscriptions, they are basically 'free'

As for people with long term illnesses not bothering to go to chemist and not getting thier tablets, they need to look into the future and re-access thier priorities.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sevenhills wrote: »

Nearly 90% of the 843 million prescription items dispensed each year are free. I am one of the 10% of the population that pays £8.60 per item, and I believe it is unfair.
    I made a choice based on cost.

Do I pay £10.40 per month for 10 months or do I pay £51.60 every 28 days?. No brainer really.

Les face it, you only need one prescription every 28 days to make it worthwhile getting a prepay. If you don't even need hat many then if you save 20p per day hen you will have a little pot of money to pay for the prescription when you do need one.
  • unforeseen wrote: »
    Or they can use their common sense and pay by DD. The prepayment card will then auto renew with no gap

You'd think it would be that simple but it ain't, my partner is on ESA and requires around £40 worth of prescriptions a month, as she is on contribution based ESA not Income based ESA she has to pay for prescriptions, and gets no help with dental treatment and eye tests or glasses, she had a pre payment card however, she missed a direct debit, now most organisations simply re apply for the money, not the case for the pre payment people, rather than re apply for the money a few days later, they just cancelled the card and sent a bill for £65 which covered the remaining payments and they won't issue a new card until the £65 is payed.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • sevenhills wrote: »
    A small charge for everyone would bring in more revenue.

Nearly 90% of the 843 million prescription items dispensed each year are free. I am one of the 10% of the population that pays £8.60 per item, and I believe it is unfair.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/213884/dh_116367.pdf
    Not sure that 90% of prescriptions equates to 90% of the population. Its likely to be a smaller percentage having a higher proportion of prescriptions.

A smaller charge for everyone with a monthly cap might be fairer with an exemption for seriously poor.

How many doctors appointments are made to avoid paying for medicine?
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Not sure that 90% of prescriptions equates to 90% of the population. Its likely to be a smaller percentage having a higher proportion of prescriptions.

A smaller charge for everyone with a monthly cap might be fairer with an exemption for seriously poor.

How many doctors appointments are made to avoid paying for medicine?

Its certainly not 90% of the population.

Many of us haven't seen the doctor for years.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    decbel wrote: »
    Its certainly not 90% of the population.

Many of us haven't seen the doctor for years.

Don't be smug.

They will always get to see you at sometime in the future especially as you get older.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income