welding course

Options
has anyone done any welding course here?

I am looking for something but keep seeing college courses which are few weeks long and I can't attend ,.

I have a full time job and want to learn welding and fabrication to feed my car engine change ....

any feedback weldome

is there such a course as 3 day intense or something like that ?

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did one as an evening class at the local college. Just one night a week so it dragged on a bit.

It's worth doing as it is easy to pick up bad habits if you teach yourself. You will also get a chance to use several different types of welding equipment. The one I did welcomed people bringing their own projects along to work on.
  • drifter17a
    Options
    Where is this and how much did you pay

I am in london and can't find any places close to me
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    drifter17a wrote: »
    Where is this and how much did you pay

I am in london and can't find any places close to me

Newbury College circa 1982. :p

They are still running the courses though...

https://www.newbury-college.ac.uk/courses/construction-and-building-technology/540-leisure-course/5585-welding-for-beginners.html
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Husband and son did a course in February on Saturday's over 6weeks at a local college, son already does a bit of welding with his work but said he really gained some usefulness from the course cost around £400.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Employment, Jobseeking & Training’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • WobblyDog
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    Husband and son did a course in February on Saturday's over 6weeks at a local college, son already does a bit of welding with his work but said he really gained some usefulness from the course cost around £400.

I paid £400 too, for a 10 week evening course (about 2 hours per week) at a college in Bristol. Good value I thought, at least I now know how to recognise when my welds are bad (which is most of the time). I found welding for the first time physically tiring, so I needed the time between lessons to recover. Some courses include an entry-level City & Guilds certification.
  • drifter17a
    Options
    Called few local college ranging from 300 to 600 so waiting to be enrolled

One question I have and did google with no avail is:
    Why does the parent metal melts and get destroyed as soon as the rod touches it?

I think it is because the amp is too high for that metal. In that case how do i know what amp i should use for each metal?

What rod , i have no clue as to what 2.5mm, 4mm and else is
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    I did one back in about 1993 with my dad and a bloke from over the road. About six weeks of Saturdays, and it cost us about 60quid each. Inflation.
  • drifter17a
    Options
    house price that is 500k today was 50k then :)

was 60 too much at the time ?
  • agentk
    agentk Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    drifter17a wrote: »
    Called few local college ranging from 300 to 600 so waiting to be enrolled

One question I have and did google with no avail is:
    Why does the parent metal melts and get destroyed as soon as the rod touches it?

I think it is because the amp is too high for that metal. In that case how do i know what amp i should use for each metal?

What rod , i have no clue as to what 2.5mm, 4mm and else is

No expert but the thinner the metal the lower the amps and the smaller the rod. If its thin metal like car panel thin mig welding better for it. Other wise you will just blow holes in it.Course is the way to go. Arc welding thicker metal is more forgiving. use ppe hurts like hell arc eye!:(:(:(:(
    3.55kw 2 systems 2.3 se 1.25 sw installed may 2011 and oct 2011..

I have never been mis sold anything but i have bought a few things i didnt need!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure