PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Excess eating apples

I have more eating apples than I can eat, any ideas what I can do with them? They are fiesta, jester and polero (all cox like apples).

Comments

• Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Use them as cooking apples. Pies, crumbles, Eve's pudding (sliced apples with sponge cake on top), cooked till soft then pur!ed to use with custard, ice cream, on toast, as a cake filling, with yoghourt. Apple sauce to serve with roast pork. If you can't decide, just peel and slice them and put them in the freezer to use another time.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Stew them down and freeze. It's also handy to make crumble mix in advance and store in the freezer. Defrost the fruit overnight, add the crumble mix straight from the freezer and bake for a super-easy dessert and brilliant crowd-feeder. Just don't forget the cream and custard!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Make apple butter ? Various recipes available courtesy of Google.
    Alternatively you could try peeling and coring them, then slicing them and slow drying/ dehydrating them on trays for several hours in a very low oven to eat as healthy snacks.
  • QueenB.
    QueenB. Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We have been blessed with a massive crop of apples from our little tree this year and I would agree with all the above posts, great ideas. You could also use some in jam or maybe give apple pie vodka a go. I'm not a big drinker but I have used some of my apples to make some of this to give as gifts this Christmas
    Success means having to worry about every thing in the world......EXCEPT MONEY. Johnny Cash

Cross stitch Cafe member 81.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Do you have somewhere cool to store them? How well I remember as a child carefully wrapping each apple in newspaper ( so that if it went off, it didn't infect any others) then we put them in drawers in my grandmother 's spare room, and collected a bag full from her every week. Depending on the variety, they keep for months, and if they go a bit soft for your liking, then use as above.
    The classic tarte tatin which I have to make at least once a year, can really only be made with eating apples. British cooking apples don't work.
    You can also bottle them.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:24AM
    Hi,

try a sliced apple and cheese sandwich, on brown bread.

You can also try, tuna, diced onion and diced apple mixed, or use in curries.

Edit: to that tuna mix you can add lemon juice/cider vinegar or salad cream/mayo.
  • small peeled cubes. Simmer gently for 40 mins with butter and small amount of sugar. A fanatastic base for crumble topping, to die for with crumbled uncooked flapjack mix. Then bake for 40 minutes. Apples off the tree will need to mature before eating raw
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have 3 apple trees and I store the apples in the garage. Wrap in newspaper so they don't touch each other and they will be fine.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    If you do decide to store some, treat them as though they were eggs when handling and any that get dropped or have marks, use at once.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Similar to other ideas but DH likes to make a compote (seems like stewed apple to me) for topping his morning muesli. I find it handy to add to braised red cabbage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure