Being a youtuber

Options
Hi guys,

Does anyone on here post videos on Youtube? Do you find it worth it in terms of the money? I know that people often have to post regularly for quite some time in order to start generating income. I've had a look at the figures on Social Blade, but do people often earn somewhere in the middle..? For example, it often says £100-2k, which is quite a difference!
I'm aware of Adsense and partnerships, etc...just wondering how long it'll take to make a reasonable amount of profit (eg. £300/month), by posting only once a week or so.

:j thanks

Comments

• Flyonthewall
    Options
    immuno wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Does anyone on here post videos on Youtube? Do you find it worth it in terms of the money? I know that people often have to post regularly for quite some time in order to start generating income. I've had a look at the figures on Social Blade, but do people often earn somewhere in the middle..? For example, it often says £100-2k, which is quite a difference!
    I'm aware of Adsense and partnerships, etc...just wondering how long it'll take to make a reasonable amount of profit (eg. £300/month), by posting only once a week or so.

:j thanks

There is no set amount of time things will happen in or money you can make.

For example, you and someone else could both film a video of a cute labrador puppy running along. One could go viral and the other could struggle to get 10 views.

Or you could film a vlog of you going to a local event and someone else could do the same. One may get 10 views and 10 subs who then continue to watch later videos (and build their channel up from there) and the other could get 1000 views, but no subs and no one who viewed that coming back to watch later videos.

If you have a lot of people to share the video with on social media you're more likely to get views (and money), but overall you need content that people want to watch and to build up an audience. That content could be anything.

Money is now made from Adsense and sponsors rather than partnerships. You'll only get sponsors once you're getting a good amount of views though and adsense is likely to be low, but you'll get more for some videos that others (based on views and the specific ads they show).

If you've got video ideas and it's something you want to do then go for it. Have fun making videos and any money is then a bonus. If you're just looking to make money you may struggle.
  • Beartricks
    Options
    Depends what you want to make videos on.

The people who make a lot of money on Youtube seem to be lifestyle vloggers, daily adventure/travel vloggers, video gamers and tech reviews. This is generally simple stuff done well with very high production values.

These generally dictate what sells and how much people get paid. The main problem with Youtube in my opinion, is that it's extremely populist and the niche video makers don't have a lot of opportunity to make money. I follow a lot of skilled craftsmen and artists who are arguably putting out more meaningful and interesting content with a high overhead but aren't making any money because Youtube decide payment rates based on the people who are getting millions of views just filming themselves walking round all day.

You'd have to pick a topic, do it very well and spend a lot more time on it than you expect.

Did you have a theme in mind?
  • immuno
    immuno Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Beartricks wrote: »
    Depends what you want to make videos on.

The people who make a lot of money on Youtube seem to be lifestyle vloggers, daily adventure/travel vloggers, video gamers and tech reviews. This is generally simple stuff done well with very high production values.

These generally dictate what sells and how much people get paid. The main problem with Youtube in my opinion, is that it's extremely populist and the niche video makers don't have a lot of opportunity to make money. I follow a lot of skilled craftsmen and artists who are arguably putting out more meaningful and interesting content with a high overhead but aren't making any money because Youtube decide payment rates based on the people who are getting millions of views just filming themselves walking round all day.

You'd have to pick a topic, do it very well and spend a lot more time on it than you expect.

Did you have a theme in mind?

Yeah, I agree.

I just wasn't sure how accurate Social Blade is, and whether it's normally somewhere in the middle?

My particular interest might be slightly less popular, as it doesn't involve gaming, pranks or daily vlogging...I was thinking of having a health (but not beauty) channel, talking mostly about holistic medicine, healing your gut, etc...as that's my passion. I was also interested in doing it together with my partner, but perhaps not always both appearing in videos..not sure how that could come across, though. Ie. sometimes she'll film, sometimes I will, but mostly together.

I am also not sure of the likelihood of someone from my work discovering my channel by chance..probably slim? This is what is mostly deterring me from pursuing it.

Thanks!
  • immuno
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that US Youtubers get a lot more views?
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Yeah, I agree.

I just wasn't sure how accurate Social Blade is, and whether it's normally somewhere in the middle?

My particular interest might be slightly less popular, as it doesn't involve gaming, pranks or daily vlogging...I was thinking of having a health (but not beauty) channel, talking mostly about holistic medicine, healing your gut, etc...as that's my passion. I was also interested in doing it together with my partner, but perhaps not always both appearing in videos..not sure how that could come across, though. Ie. sometimes she'll film, sometimes I will, but mostly together.

I am also not sure of the likelihood of someone from my work discovering my channel by chance..probably slim? This is what is mostly deterring me from pursuing it.

Thanks!

Social Blade will most likely be making assumptions and giving a general idea of what is possible. The 2K will include those with millions of subscribers, but even some with millions of subs will get 1K or less due to video content.

There are plenty of channels with couples. It's fine if only one of you appears in some videos. If you always did videos together for years and then one day just one of you did a video alone you may get questions, but if doing some alone from the start people are unlikely to think anything of it.

It's always possible someone could find your videos, especially if your channel starts to grow. Does it matter though? Unless it conflicts with your job and could cause issues, if you enjoy it then why not do it?
    Am I correct in thinking that US Youtubers get a lot more views?

No, there are a number of Youtubers around the world with millions of subscribers and views. The most subscribed to Youtuber is Swedish and lives in the UK.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think its a tough gig to be honest, and one that looks much simpler when what it actually is. I had a student who did gaming videos, had thousands of subscribers and was barely covering his costs.

I watch an awful lot of youtube videos - and yet my subscribed list remains mostly professional teams (eg Peterborough, Surrey, New York Giants), Chefs (Jamie Oliver, Gennaro Contaldo), gaming videos and so forth. That doesnt mean I dont watch other things, I just dont follow them.

I like your idea, I think its important to youtube about something you are knowledgeable about. Production values are also massively important - quality of sound and video. If these are not up to par your video will look substandard and unprofessional. There are intangibles too....there are some people who make youtube videos who are simply dull. People need to be interesting and engaging. An excellent example is Gennaro Contaldo - check out the passion in his videos. Videos like that are engaging and interesting to watch.

You need to be able to produce content, to a good standard, regularly. So that's multiple times a week.

And you also need to have a mega thick skin, as some of the comments are truly awful.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • immuno
    Options
    Social Blade will most likely be making assumptions and giving a general idea of what is possible. The 2K will include those with millions of subscribers, but even some with millions of subs will get 1K or less due to video content.

There are plenty of channels with couples. It's fine if only one of you appears in some videos. If you always did videos together for years and then one day just one of you did a video alone you may get questions, but if doing some alone from the start people are unlikely to think anything of it.

It's always possible someone could find your videos, especially if your channel starts to grow. Does it matter though? Unless it conflicts with your job and could cause issues, if you enjoy it then why not do it?

No, there are a number of Youtubers around the world with millions of subscribers and views. The most subscribed to Youtuber is Swedish and lives in the UK.

Yeah, I know there are some big Youtubers outside of the US. I just mean that on average, they seem to have more views...maybe it just seems that way to me.

I meant the monthly average, so when SocialBlade says £200-2k for someone per month, I assume it's roughly in the middle?

I know that asking how much Sponsored videos make is also like asking how long a piece of string is....

I realise it's going to be very time consuming, so just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I do have a good camera..and we were thinking that my partner could do most of the editing whilst I prepare content for the videos.
  • Flyonthewall
    Options
    Yeah, I know there are some big Youtubers outside of the US. I just mean that on average, they seem to have more views...maybe it just seems that way to me.

I meant the monthly average, so when SocialBlade says £200-2k for someone per month, I assume it's roughly in the middle?

I know that asking how much Sponsored videos make is also like asking how long a piece of string is....

I realise it's going to be very time consuming, so just trying to weigh the pros and cons. I do have a good camera..and we were thinking that my partner could do most of the editing whilst I prepare content for the videos.

I'd say many videos get a large percentage of US viewers, but overall I doubt US Youtubers get more views in comparison. You maybe just hear about them more. Magazines in shops and TV shows here seem to mostly focus on British Youtubers and I'm sure the US focus more on the US Youtubers so I guess it just depends on what you're watching and reading.

There are many Youtubers who get nothing at all, many who get less than £200 and few who get £2000+ so I don't think the average amount would be in the middle. I imagine there will be a far, far higher percentage of people earnings under £500 than those earning £1000+. It's more of a guide that you could potentially earn between £200-£2000 rather than a payscale in which the average Youtuber will be earning in the middle.

You'll only know what you can get from your videos by uploading them and waiting.

Maybe try filming and editing a few videos, see how it goes and what you think to them and the work involved and then decide if you want to upload them. If you do decide to go ahead and upload them at least you'll know you've got some videos ready to go while you're filming others which will help with regular uploads.
  • immuno
    Options
    I'd say many videos get a large percentage of US viewers, but overall I doubt US Youtubers get more views in comparison. You maybe just hear about them more. Magazines in shops and TV shows here seem to mostly focus on British Youtubers and I'm sure the US focus more on the US Youtubers so I guess it just depends on what you're watching and reading.

There are many Youtubers who get nothing at all, many who get less than £200 and few who get £2000+ so I don't think the average amount would be in the middle. I imagine there will be a far, far higher percentage of people earnings under £500 than those earning £1000+. It's more of a guide that you could potentially earn between £200-£2000 rather than a payscale in which the average Youtuber will be earning in the middle.

You'll only know what you can get from your videos by uploading them and waiting.

Maybe try filming and editing a few videos, see how it goes and what you think to them and the work involved and then decide if you want to upload them. If you do decide to go ahead and upload them at least you'll know you've got some videos ready to go while you're filming others which will help with regular uploads.

I don't mean to say that I think that on average, Youtubers earn £1000/month. I mean that if on Social Blade, it says £200-£2k for a particular person, for that month, does that mean it's somewhere in the middle? Ie. if another person has £30-60/month, is it approx £45, etc?
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't mean to say that I think that on average, Youtubers earn £1000/month. I mean that if on Social Blade, it says £200-£2k for a particular person, for that month, does that mean it's somewhere in the middle? Ie. if another person has £30-60/month, is it approx £45, etc?

I suspect thats not the case. If you were to do an average it would come out far closer to £200 then the £2k.
    For example you will have 5,000 people earning £200 - and 4 people earning £2k.

Its a bit like a standard company where you have a CEO on say £100k and most employees on £20k.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport