Smart meter and solar panels

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 19 July 2017 at 9:08PM
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply pinnks but been away recently. I've just popped a few comments on the other thread you mention. It's at the link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72860118#post72860118

Hope it's of interest.

Malc
    Hi

As is my follow-up question ...
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi Malc

Does this mean that the meters which you've installed to date and their associated IHDs don't comply to SMETS1 or SMETS2 standards regarding the provision of registers, or is it a case that functionality exists but simply not going to be used ?

If the former, then the question revolves around why non-compliant meters are being installed ... if the latter, then isn't it a case that the company will not be complying with various EU legislation of 2009 & 2012 which substantially forms case for smart-metering? .... background information related to this is summarised in the following link ...

https://vriconian.wixsite.com/site/single-post/2017/07/14/Smart-Metering---1-Introduction-Whats-it-all-about-

There is a third possible reason, that being the DCC being later than anticipated in delivering shared communications and therefore what you describe results from not wanting to duplicate cost (and therefore waste) in developing a temporary comms network to handle export readings, in which case it's just a temporary situation ....

Any chance of doing a little digging internally on this and provide us with a little feedback ?

Z

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply pinnks but been away recently.

Malc

There's me thinking you'd been sacked?

Or have they let you out for good behaviour?

Anyone for cricket? :D
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Malc
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

As is my follow-up question ...

HTH
    Z

Just replied on the other thread Z. It's at the following link.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72870152#post72870152

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    There's me thinking you'd been sacked?

Or have they let you out for good behaviour?

Anyone for cricket? :D

I doubt it's good behaviour fredandwilma. They do occasionally give me time off to relax provided I work twice as hard when I come back. :D

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    pinnks wrote: »
    Thanks Malc

You're welcome pinnks. Glad to help.

Malc
  • matty2767
    matty2767 Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    when i was offered mine it was a gen 1 smart meter. I understand that these might not be compatible with your next supplier should you switch and you would be back to a dumb meter. you need a gen 2 meter if you are having one at all
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had smart meters fitted a couple of weeks ago, I am with Scottish Power.
    I also have solar panels, the read out tells be how much the electricity being used is costing me, per day/month.
    As the solar panels generate a certain amount of electricity, the cost per day is zero even though I have a number of appliances running. But my 8 solar panels only pay for my fridge, PC, radio and the other small bits like wifi; if I put the kettle on, it costs a few pennies.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    I had smart meters fitted a couple of weeks ago, I am with Scottish Power.
    I also have solar panels, the read out tells be how much the electricity being used is costing me, per day/month.
    As the solar panels generate a certain amount of electricity, the cost per day is zero even though I have a number of appliances running. But my 8 solar panels only pay for my fridge, PC, radio and the other small bits like wifi; if I put the kettle on, it costs a few pennies.

I reckon I have a pretty good handle on what my electricity is costing me, what is using the power and how best to juggle appliances without the need for a smart meter.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2017 at 4:40PM
    Options
    I reckon I have a pretty good handle on what my electricity is costing me, what is using the power and how best to juggle appliances without the need for a smart meter.
    Hi

Same here, and we've been able to monitor the position for years without having to pay £500 for a smart meter ..... I'm currently consuming 280W, generating 2.58kW and therefore exporting 2.3kW (82% of generation) ....

Sorry ET, but I'm going off on a rant here in the hope that someone reading this post will in some way be enlightened with a viewpoint which isn't quite in line with the industry's, their lobbyists, or the various governments which have naively taken their bait, hook, line & sinker ... so, here goes ....

I'm pretty sure that almost no-one would support smart-metering if they really understood what the technology will cost them in the long run, both in the immediate terms of paying £500/household to recover the £12-£15billion project cost, and down the line being hammered with excruciatingly high peak tariff charges to encourage us all to not have a cooked meal on a winter's evening when we get home from work .... hey-ho though, such is the power of the media, after-all, seeing that 'free' must be the new term for '£500' and that sum used to be referred to in slang as a 'monkey', then we should all be asking the industry 'Are you trying to make a monkey out of me ... twice ?' (fool & money) ....

We currently pay for meters, the reading of meters, the maintenance of meters, the safety checks on meters & the regular replacement of meters within our current bills ... the problem here is that the industry is being allowed to charge for smart-meters as if they're something completely new, an additional cost having no financial benefit to the industry and no relationship to the 'dumb' meters we currently have ... which is not the case at all seeing that it's the industry which is in line to make a fortune out of the project.

These meters benefit the consumer little more than a basic energy monitor at a fraction of the cost (<5% ?), above that the meter itself costs little more than a standard meter, but more importantly, if smart-meters were rolled out within the industry's standard replacement cycle, there would be almost no additional project effort, and therefore cost.

Anyway, with the latest round of electricity price increases being moaned about by the industry as being down to the governments 'green' policies and that a significant proportion of these 'additional supply costs' must be down to smart-meters, perhaps we should all tell the industry that we'll support them in opposing this horrendous government policy and refuse to have smart-meters fitted ...

.... That's it 'Mr Energy Supplier', if you're telling us that the nasty government is twisting your arm and forcing your hand under duress into doing something that you don't want to do, then we can all help you ... just say the word, we, your 'loyal customers' are here to help ... note the word 'loyal', that is what you always want us to be ... isn't it ? ...

Rant over, time to take a breath .... well after all that we're now only generating 1.55kW and consuming 150W, which tells me that there's just enough spare to put the kettle on .... come on, hands up all those with smart-meters who can say that without referencing some other form of monitor ... :whistle: .... that'd probably be very few then - but isn't that the very point of smart-meters, so what's the use of charging us £12-£15billion for nothing ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport