Bike repair dispute and advice

Comments

• leeboy105
    leeboy105 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    agrinnall wrote: »
    You're constantly ignoring the fact that you don't know how much it's been used. If it had been a brand new bike you'd be able to make an argument, but on a second hand bike of unknown provenance you have a much weaker case.

I'm aware of this, but they seem a reputable bike workshop and they marketed it on Twitter as being in excellent condition, which would raise my expectations. Additionally they are a not for profit social enterprise, so they should have a better balance between profit and bike quality.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A nor for profit organisation is likely to be receiving donated bikes in a less than good condition, using enthusiastic but unpaid and partly-trained volunteers, and recycling parts wherever possible. That's why the bikes are cheap.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • GotToChange
    GotToChange Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    In answer to your original question - regardless of the to-ing and fro-ing with regard to expectations of a reconditioned bike - I think that the £32 is good for a replacement wheel; what are you going to do otherwise?? (I mean that kindly)

I have a friend who helps me with the general routine maintenance - and also have had some repairs/replacement parts done by a local independent - but - when I was dumb enough to drive :eek: over my detached front wheel, I ended up at Halford's for a new wheel (and tyre, Kevlar-lined) , which including "fitting", cost £60.00. I think the local man in the village might have cost around the same. Also I am not sure if a rear wheel would be even more because there is more to do around the ?sprockets and chain fitting?

So, I think best to just get the new wheel on and get ---- on yer bike (as they say) :D
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 May 2017 at 8:48AM
    macman wrote: »
    A nor for profit organisation is likely to be receiving donated bikes in a less than good condition, using enthusiastic but unpaid and partly-trained volunteers, and recycling parts wherever possible. That's why the bikes are cheap.
    £150 for a bike that was probably not overly expensive when new isn't particularly cheap. I would expect a £150 used bike which has been serviced to have had the wheel bearing checked and greased.
    Its very likely these bikes will have been donated, there's a similar set up at the entrance of a local tip, but if they are being sold at this price they should be worth it. If it was £30 for something complete and a quick check then thats fair but £150 for a bike which is due to fail because of a missed service item is not fair.

OP, what exactly did you pay for the bike? You mentioned new tyres and a lock. Did they inflate the price to £150 or were they extra?
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Showed that to my local cycle shop of choice and demanded they sell me a Reynolds RZR wheelset for £500.... they laughed!

Half decent wheels START at £500.

If you're Elitist, then sure. I find a lot of what i consider "half decent wheels" at less than half that

Seriously aren't most wheel bearings now sealed?
    Not really. Only on more expensive bicycles but i've worked on mountain bikes that are less than 5 years old and cost 1.6k when new and don't use sealed bearings

leeboy105 wrote: »
    I'm aware of this, but they seem a reputable bike workshop and they marketed it on Twitter as being in excellent condition, which would raise my expectations. Additionally they are a not for profit social enterprise, so they should have a better balance between profit and bike quality.

It's a cheap bicycle that was bought used then cycled lots of miles through the winter where all the water and salt remove lubrication and it didn't ever sound like it was serviced, inspected or oiled during that time.

It's a bit like buying a £700 used car that just had a service, driving it for several thousand miles without then wondering why parts have started to fail because no one checked or topped up the oil / coolant etc.

When i'm out cycling in the winter my bikes get inspected and a mild service usually every 50 miles or so
    All your base are belong to us.
  • leeboy105
    leeboy105 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £150 for a bike that was probably not overly expensive when new isn't particularly cheap. I would expect a £150 used bike which has been serviced to have had the wheel bearing checked and greased.
    Its very likely these bikes will have been donated, there's a similar set up at the entrance of a local tip, but if they are being sold at this price they should be worth it. If it was £30 for something complete and a quick check then thats fair but £150 for a bike which is due to fail because of a missed service item is not fair.

OP, what exactly did you pay for the bike? You mentioned new tyres and a lock. Did they inflate the price to £150 or were they extra?

£155 for the bike and a D lock.

I bought new tyres later myself as the ones on the bike were getting too many penetration punctures.
  • Norman_Castle
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    It's a cheap bicycle that was bought used then cycled lots of miles through the winter where all the water and salt remove lubrication and it didn't ever sound like it was serviced, inspected or oiled during that time.
    600 miles through a mild winter shouldn't affect the wheel bearings if they were greased.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    600 miles through a mild winter shouldn't affect the wheel bearings if they were greased.

Some cheaper wheels have cones and spindles that don't seal out the elements very well.

I don't know many places that would grease wheel bearings on a basic level service or anywhere that sells low priced used bikes.

If i was working at such a place and selling used bikes i would merely check if the bearings were smooth to turn the spindle and if there was any free play.

Long before bearings become so worn that they ruin the wheel you would feel a knocking or clunking from the wheel from the free play in the spindle.
    I suspect the rider has either not noticed that clunking and continued to cycle with loose bearings to the extent it's ruined the wheel, or they ignored the clunking.

Either way another good reason to frequently check the bike.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just for comparison, Halfords have three levels of bike service. It's only on the most expensive level (gold) that you get "remove both axles, degrease and inspect bearings". That would cost you £80, or over half the price of the bike.

Put another way, if you bought a car for £1550, would you expect the seller to do £800 worth of servicing on it before he sold it?

If I am refurbing a bike, I would always clean and check or renew the wheel bearings, but then I don't charge myself for labour.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Norman_Castle
    Assuming this http://www.cycletrainingwales.org.uk/cardiffcycleworkshop/?page_id=20 is where the bike was from the bikes are free to them. If you're an organisation selling a used bike it should be assessed properly. If the final sale price cannot fund the service and repairs it should be scrapped for parts. An £80 Halfords service will include a profit and other overheads. A free bike with an £80 service leaves £70 if sold at a not for profit £150.
    I support organisations like this but if the bikes are below standard they're doing themselves no favours. I suspect bearings aren't regularly checked and greased because generally they don't need it. Keen home cycle mechanics will check regularly but average cyclists often won't often without subsequent problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure