Tricked into Photocopier contract spiral :(

Comments

• Plant1980
    Plant1980 Posts: 29 Forumite
    freeisgood wrote: »
    Any witnesses in your office confirming those figures were not on the form?

I would also make a lot of fuss on their facebook page too.

Yes me and the director (who signed the documents) have no recollection of those numbers being written down, although i was daft enough to take them for signing i would never have tripled my bill if those figures had been on there.
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Did you not take a copy at time of signing?

Perhaps he didn't have a photocopier!

Wait....
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    More to the point, are we being tricked into giving a company free advice against clearly agreed board policy?
  • Plant1980
    Tricked? simply asking how likely we are to be successful if we do dig in, its not what we need right now to be chased up for money, i suppose a solicitor might be best option? thanks for the input though, it does seem to swing towards us having a chance.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Plant1980 wrote: »
    Yes me and the director (who signed the documents) have no recollection of those numbers being written down, although i was daft enough to take them for signing i would never have tripled my bill if those figures had been on there.

What numbers do you recollect being written down, are you saying that you signed a blank form?
  • Chris_bay
    Chris_bay Posts: 9 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Contracts - Rule of thumb.
    Never ever sign there and then, especially with the salesman waiting for it.
    Always sit on the deal for a couple of days to enable review.
    Also always ask someone else unconnected to the proposal to review the contract before signature.

Options
    Photo copying companies are notorious for their dodgy deals. Trading Standards might be an option.

A company called Fair Contract Associates has been recently referenced a couple of times as helping with these situations (I have no connection with them)

[STRIKE]Threaten [/STRIKE] Promise lots of bad publicity, Rotary, Chamber of Commerce etc etc

Future
    Buy a second hand machine that is less than a year old. Often these go for 20 to 30% of the list price.

Never lease for more than 36 months. Photocopiers don't last much longer than that without needing significant maintenance and the parts are no longer available.

Also you could buy the Photocopier new and agree a maintenance contract with a local engineer, much much cheaper.

Always put up the renewal to open tender (or if small value at least three quotes)

Good luck
  • marty2be2000
    marty2be2000 Posts: 205 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Plant1980 wrote: »
    When we signed the first document cost per copy was 4p mono and 7p colour but the asset was free so no rental, then a few weeks later he adjusted the volumes a little and when we got the documents in the post i saw 8.08p mono and 12p colour, there is no way i would have signed that if those numbers had been on that sheet

Are you only paying the pence per copy / scan etc. on the contract and nothing else at all.

If you are paying per copy only then just stop using the machine so the company will get nothing from you.

Then go elsewhere and do as others have said, source another machine from elsewhere and double check the print volumes are realistic before signing anything.
  • Plant1980
    IAmWales wrote: »
    What numbers do you recollect being written down, are you saying that you signed a blank form?
    When he came in, he said they monitor our volumes remotely and he needed to adjust them as we were going to go over, so he put new volumes down and we signed based on those volumes, i NEVER saw any new pricing as i would never have signed a new contract at double the cost per copy
  • Plant1980
    Are you only paying the pence per copy / scan etc. on the contract and nothing else at all.

If you are paying per copy only then just stop using the machine so the company will get nothing from you.

Then go elsewhere and do as others have said, source another machine from elsewhere and double check the print volumes are realistic before signing anything.

No its a volume contract which suited us better as one month we can use the copier a few hundred times, then next month we could print 5,000. we were told we could adjust the contracted volume every quarter, but that was false, they altered the volumes but doubled the cost per copy but i never saw that information.
    We were also told we could move the volumes down per quarter but now they are saying no we cant, we have to keep paying and they will just rebate us a bit. total scam.
    Essentially we signed up for a 2 copiers @£1600 per quarter when the volume was adjusted up a little they doubled the cost per copy (but i say he added that after) so the bill is now £4300 per quarter.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 19 May 2017 at 8:01AM
    It is worth remembering that word of mouth is normally considered part of a contract too.

How much do you pay if you make no copies?

Is it worth stopping use of the copiers and taking on other ones to use instead?

Also, they say they monitor the volumes remotely. I assume the printers are networked, can you adjust this so that they cannot see the printers? I assume you had to allow them to access them from outside, this should be reversible? Would be interesting to see how they reacted to that.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport