Why overpay mortgage while interest rates are so low?

Options
2»

Comments

• Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive been making regular overpayments for e few years since 2012 thinking rates would rise at some point of my latest mortgage 2009.

Times in fiancial terms are different, though at least I have some security in overpayment reserve already reduced balance and saved some interest.

overpaymrents I find are easier than saving though thats my thinking not everyones.

Think I'll need to stop them as I moved to part time shifts though I'' prob continue with much smaller overpayments-£10-25 p/month.
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • User1489
    User1489 Posts: 400 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    1) I am on my own, so I want the security of owning a home - more short term security than guaranteeing a pension (mum and dad will die and leave a pension pot to me eventually, even if they fall ill etc)

2) Feels good

3) Interest rates - well, you never know - they might rocket. I doubt they can go much lower as they are circa 1.5%, so an increase is inevitable really in the mid-long term. I would rather have no mortgage than remortgage :) 5 years 11 months and counting
    Baby Step 1 - £1k Emergency Fund - COMPLETE
    Baby Step 2 - Pay off all debts except the Mortgage - £9,326 to go
    Baby Step 3 - Save 6 months of expenses into full Emergency Fund - £4,300 to go

Baby Step 4 - Put 15% into Pension
    Baby Step 6 - Pay off the Mortgage early
    Baby Step 7 - Live like no-one else :D
  • somethingcorporate
    Options
    genieuk wrote: »
    For me not having worked all my life due to living overseas and following husbands career, I feel happier paying off the mortgage and saving £40K+ in interest. OH is the main breadwinner if he fell ill or lost his job at least our home would be safe.
    My view my change next month as we are having a pension brief at work I did toy with the idea of making additional contributions but was already on the road to being mf.

I am 32 (almost 33).

My pension (according to SL) has had £40k of investment growth in the last 8 years (since I started it). Plus a third of the rest is tax relief and a bit over a quarter is employers contribution.

Just some numbers to compare to yours.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • LadyTC
    LadyTC Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My first post on this board but funnily enough I have been advised (family member) that the 42% tax and Nic saving on my pension contributions is likely to be much better financially over the next 5-10 years than paying down my mortgage (base+ 0.65%) but with a big proviso that mortgage rates stay low and the tax relief doesn't get chopped?
  • LadyGnome
    LadyGnome Posts: 801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There was an interesting thread on the Pensions board about calculating the number i.e. the target income you would require when retired. I think it is an very individual decision what works best for you.

If your pension income is likely to be lower than you really want then I can see a value in prioritising your pension over overpaying. On the other hand if your pension is likely to be sufficient but you will have to delay retirement because of the outstanding mortgage then prioritising overpaying would be better.

I think the decision has to be made as part of a wider life / lifestyle plan. I am in my 40's I have a fairly decent pension pot building up and income from BTL which should get us beyond our minimum income requirement. So for me the priority is paying off the mortgage so I have some time to build up funds to help the children and to bridge to pension dates if I want to leave work before my pension is available.
    MortgageStart Nov 2012 £310,000
    Oct 2022 £143,277.74
    Reduction £166,722.26
    OriginalEnd Sept 2034 / Current official end Apr 2032 (but I have a cunning plan...)
    2022 MFW #78 £10200/£12000
    MFiT-6 #28 £21,772 /£75000
  • TropicalDreamer
    Options
    We have no emergency savings but overpay an interest only offset mortgage which I can borrow the money back from in case I need it. It also means I only need to pay the interest portion (which is reducing monthly) in case of redundancy. For me overpaying the mortgage gives the greatest return for the least risk as well as being satisfying.
  • Durban
    Durban Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1) I am on my own, so I want the security of owning a home - more short term security than guaranteeing a pension (mum and dad will die and leave a pension pot to me eventually, even if they fall ill etc)

2) Feels good

3) Interest rates - well, you never know - they might rocket. I doubt they can go much lower as they are circa 1.5%, so an increase is inevitable really in the mid-long term. I would rather have no mortgage than remortgage :) 5 years 11 months and counting

Surely your parents will use their pension in their retirement and not leave their pension pot to you. You cannot possibly predict their future and their possible care needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure