Reclaiming tax on SIPP

I invested £2880 in a sipp with Hargreaves Lansdown and have received the £720 tax relief. I applied to withdraw £3600 but they have made a deduction which I presume is tax. I don't pay tax due to low earnings so when and how to I reclaim this?
Please excuse my explanation of this, it's all new ground for me.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you applied to draw the £3600, you would receive the 25% tax free with balance taxed as income even though you do not pay tax - you would reclaim tax overpaid by contacting HMRC.

http://adviser.royallondon.com/technical-central/pensions/benefit-options/emergency-tax-and-lump-sum-withdrawals/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-repayment-claim-when-small-pension-taken-as-a-lump-sum-p53

Have you closed the SIPP so that HL have also charged you a closure fee?

How much have you received?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,312 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't pay tax due to low earnings so when and how to I reclaim this?

most providers tell you on the letter they send out. I am sure HL would.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Carolinemjs
    Carolinemjs Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    xylophone wrote: »
    If you applied to draw the £3600, you would receive the 25% tax free with balance taxed as income even though you do not pay tax - you would reclaim tax overpaid by contacting HMRC.

http://adviser.royallondon.com/technical-central/pensions/benefit-options/emergency-tax-and-lump-sum-withdrawals/

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-repayment-claim-when-small-pension-taken-as-a-lump-sum-p53

Have you closed the SIPP so that HL have also charged you a closure fee?

How much have you received?

Thank you. I applied to draw £3600 but I haven't closed the SIPP as I had invested another £2880 - so there is no closure fee. I now realise I didn't need to do it this way but what's done is done.
    I received £3252.
  • Carolinemjs
    dunstonh wrote: »
    most providers tell you on the letter they send out. I am sure HL would.
    Thank you. The amount only reached my account last night so I guess I was a bit quick off the mark. I had looked at their site but couldn't see anything helpful. No doubt a letter will arrive :)
  • Just because your earnings are low enough not to pay tax on them doesn't mean you won't have tax to pay on your total income, including the taxable element of the sipp payment

The tax position all depends on how much your income is including the sipp payment.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Basically you have received a lump of income from HL and they don't have a proper tax code for you because it was a one-off. Of the £3600, £2700 was taxable income. When they look at a standard annual allowance they basically think, "if this person gets £2700 of taxable income in one month, multiply by 12 that's £32400 a year, and a standard personal allowance is £11500 a year, so probably £20900 is taxable, at 20%, which is £4180, which is £348 a month, so we'll withhold £348."

In reality their software is comparing a one-off income with 1/12th of all the standard annual allowances and tax rates, but to prove the maths it's easier to work with recognisable numbers just to sense-check the calculation.

When you've had a tax deduction on your pension income but know you are not going to go over your annual allowance for the year as a whole because it was a one-off, there is a standard HMRC form you can fill out to get reimbursed without having to wait to the end of the tax year and waiting for HMRC to notice (or doing a full tax return). You can get from the .gov website, but HL might tell you when they confirm your gross and net amounts.

HL will not necessarily know how much money you expect to earn over the course of the year and so may not automatically know you have overpaid and are in a position to reclaim, so they might not tell you if you don't ask. But their call centre might tell you how to do it as they are helpful chaps, although if you are not paying for any advice from them they might just suggest you contact HMRC (who again have a phone helpdesk, but might take a lot longer to answer the phone than HL do!)
  • ermine
    ermine Posts: 757 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    the form you probably need is here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/flexibly-accessed-pension-payment-repayment-claim-tax-year-p55

It's worth reading/printing off the printed form even if you do it online, as the printed form has a better explanation of what the boxes mean than the online versions.

I recently drew my entire year's income up to a shade of the HRT threshold, so they overcharged me tax as if I'd suddenly started working for Goldman Sachs and were earning over 40k a month. I disabused them of that assumption using that form and a couple of weeks later cheque arrives in the post. I was amazed that it went so quickly, I anticipated a long battle...
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    You will also probably be taxed fully on any other withdrawals you make in the future as you only get 1 tax free lump sum withdrawal at 25% of total value.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Carolinemjs
    Wookey wrote: »
    You will also probably be taxed fully on any other withdrawals you make in the future as you only get 1 tax free lump sum withdrawal at 25% of total value.

Can you please provide a link to this information, thanks
  • Guess he might be referring to this however I don't know it's explained very clearly,

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/drawdown/how-does-it-work
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport