Debt Collector Letter - Advice Needed (Hope this is the right section...)

Options
Hi Guys,

I've just come back from holiday and received a letter from Lowells on behalf of Vodafone demanding payment in excess of £900 for a contract which I had over the period of 6/7 years.

Basically, to cut a long story short; during a silly part of last 2016 I left my job after many years and began looking for a new career. I became very disillusioned and ended up getting myself arrested (nothing serious; no charges came from it). However, the police kept my phone as evidence.

Whilst I was bailed, they informed me they needed to keep my phone for further enquiries (I was a bit annoyed, as I couldn't even have my SIM, but knew nothing would come of it).

Eventually the situation ended up as NFA. They told me I'd receive a call on when I'd get my phone back.

So...I waited...and waited. Gave it a week, tried to contact the station. They said they'd get back to me via e-mail or a member of family's number which I supplied. Another week passed, nothing. In this time, I'd spoken to Vodafone and let them know the situation, as the phone bill hadn't been paid (no work - had just secured a new job, so arranged a payment plan once I'd received my handset/SIM).

Another week passed, and I tried to contact the officer directly after finding out where he was based. Each time I was told he was off shift, and left messages. I e-mailed, I even e-mailed the MET a complaint directly and have heard nothing back.

Where do I stand for this? As Vodafone are demanding payment for the remainder of the contract, which by the amount I'd imagine is 14 months? Do I actually have a leg to stand on here?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

(PS - Any way I can change my damn username?!)

Scott

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Short Answer: Nope

Longer Answer: You still need to pay the contract, and get the Met Police to either give you the phone back, or compensate you for it if they've just failed to give your phone back.

After all, if YOU lost the phone, you'd still need to pay for it (And if it was insured against loss, claim), it doesn't matter to Vodafone why you're not paying, only that you aren't.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • RobinVanPersie
    Options
    StopIt wrote: »
    Short Answer: Nope

Longer Answer: You still need to pay the contract, and get the Met Police to either give you the phone back, or compensate you for it if they've just failed to give your phone back.

After all, if YOU lost the phone, you'd still need to pay for it (And if it was insured against loss, claim), it doesn't matter to Vodafone why you're not paying, only that you aren't.

Thanks for this...

The only issue is this was in April 2016, and I cannot get any response from anyone involved? I'm assuming they may have disposed of it?

S
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    If you have in writing that you were meant to get the phone back and you haven't, I'd take formal action.

If they've disposed of it instead of trying to give it back to you, then you need to be compensated for it.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Its by the by whether you had access to the phone or not, the fact the police have your phone is a separate issue.

You were signed up to a contract, so you would be liable for the line rental costs whatever happened, you will need to agree something with Lowell about that.

As for the phone itself, you have made reasonable attempts yourself to get it back, with no luck, so i would maybe try the IPCC :

https://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RobinVanPersie
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

Its by the by whether you had access to the phone or not, the fact the police have your phone is a separate issue.

You were signed up to a contract, so you would be liable for the line rental costs whatever happened, you will need to agree something with Lowell about that.

As for the phone itself, you have made reasonable attempts yourself to get it back, with no luck, so i would maybe try the IPCC :

Thank you so much for this; I'll have no issue paying Lowell; just hoping the MET take some kind of responsibility for this
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They will not take responsibility for your bill, sorry - it's on you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure