Mislaid rail ticket and had to buy new one

Hi everyone,

I've just finished an Easter holiday break in Leicester travelling from Edinburgh.

I printed out tickets from Edinburgh to Leicester at Waverley Station and while I was in Leicester mislaid my tickets back to Edinburgh. I discovered this when I went to print out tickets and the machine said all tickets had been printed and collected.

I had to buy a new ticket back to Edinburgh which cost £139. Obviously, my carelessness is the fault for this issue but is there any way I can appeal for a refund or even partial refund as this quite a lot of money arising from a mistake made in good faith.

Many thanks

Tom

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,801 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    chekov99 wrote: »
    I had to buy a new ticket back to Edinburgh which cost £139. Obviously, my carelessness is the fault for this issue but is there any way I can appeal for a refund or even partial refund as this quite a lot of money arising from a mistake made in good faith.

There's no harm in trying but I don't think you'll be successful, as there's no way you can prove (or the railway company can check) that the original tickets weren't used.
  • chekov99
    chekov99 Posts: 14 Forumite
    My girlfriend has located the original tickets (I was down visiting her) and they are now set aside.

Being as the tickets are in pristine and unused condition, might this provide satisfactory evidence that the tickets were not used?

I appreciate that the chances are remote for any form of refund, but I will make an attempt.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,801 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    chekov99 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has located the original tickets (I was down visiting her) and they are now set aside.

Being as the tickets are in pristine and unused condition, might this provide satisfactory evidence that the tickets were not used?

I appreciate that the chances are remote for any form of refund, but I will make an attempt.

It's worth a try - particularly if you still have the one you actually used and that shows that a ticket inspector came round and marked it - but I wouldn't have much hope....
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What do you have to lose by trying?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    National Rail Conditions of Travel

29. Refunds on Tickets which have not been used

29.1 If you purchase a Ticket and then choose not to travel, you may apply for a refund from the original retailer or Train Company from whom it was purchased, unless the terms and conditions of your Ticket (advance Tickets for instance) indicate that it is non-refundable. You must do this no more than 28 days after the expiry of the Ticket.

29.2 In such cases, a deduction from your refund will be made in the case of part-used Tickets, calculated on the cost of the journey(s) actually made. An administration charge may also be made, which will not exceed £10 per Ticket; however, if the administrative charge and/or other deductions exceed the refund amount no refund will be payable.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    You'll maybe get the cost of the original unused ticket which presumably wasn't anything like as much as the £139 you then had to spend. But it could be better than nothing so I'd say go for it.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    As Isasmurf has pointed out, if the original tickets are Advance Singles then no refund will be made.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure