'Forced' work from Job Center.

I have been signed on since Dec 2016 (only receive JSA) and today was my appointment and the lady told me that I have to attend an actual job, which is full time hours for 8 weeks but no pay. She said I have to take this as the government is forcing people to do this. I honestly would not mind doing this job, however not for free.

Is this right? I really do not want to work for anybody for free. I have heard of the work programme but this does not sound like it. I don't even know the title of this program as she said she could not show me any information on it as her computer was not working at the moment. She just written down an address and phone number and told me to go there.

I hope this is in the right forum also.

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It's not unpaid - you will still be getting paid your JSA.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    lovinituk wrote: »
    It's not unpaid - you will still be getting paid your JSA.

Yes, but JSA pays £73 per week. If the job is full time that equates to about £2 per hour. Surely that breaks the minimum wage requirements.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Yes, but JSA pays £73 per week. If the job is full time that equates to about £2 per hour. Surely that breaks the minimum wage requirements.
    I did wonder that but wasn't sure how much JSA was.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 March 2017 at 11:17PM
    I'd phone up and ask exactly what it is. Then I'd be checking independently with CAB or similar whether it is indeed obligatory.
    If a company wants two months work out of someone then they should pay them the going rate for it.

You really need to check if it is the work experience programme as CAB says
    "Joining the Work Experience programme is voluntary. However, once you accept a place it becomes compulsory. This means if you are 18 or over and you lose your place because of gross misconduct, your Jobseeker's Allowance can be stopped."

Edit - you might want to post this in the benefits section of the forum. They probably have more idea about what you can/can't be made to do.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite

OP also receives HB, and therefore presumably CTB also.

When you add it all up it's not quite min wage, but not far off. Even then it's irrelevant, OP is doing work experience, they're not subject to NMW legislation.

They are free to close their claim if they wish to.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2017 at 11:31PM

You could argue that if you add all the FREE money OP has had since december, maybe it will work out to mim wage or more.

Either way it is work experience as op is not able to find a job. The only options are 1: find a job, 2: stop accepting FREE money.

(im saying FREE money as OP is happy to accept money for nothing but its totally against his values to work for nothing)

and if he is getting HB and CTR with that then thats a fair bit of FREE money

nothing personal OP i just see this attitude a lot, its not a good one imo
  • t-mids
    t-mids Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No I don't receive HB, just JSA...
  • t-mids
    t-mids Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I worked out what it is now, I just never heard of this scheme before, little internet searching and all is revealed... problem solved...
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    t-mids wrote: »
    I have been signed on since Dec 2016 (only receive JSA) and today was my appointment and the lady told me that I have to attend an actual job, which is full time hours for 8 weeks but no pay. She said I have to take this as the government is forcing people to do this. I honestly would not mind doing this job, however not for free.

I don't even know the title of this program as she said she could not show me any information on it as her computer was not working at the moment. She just written down an address and phone number and told me to go there.

What she said was incorrect and as such is maladministration.

The DWP Mandatory schemes were ended.

The Work Placement is still in place - so it may be this. The WP does exist in a reformed sense, but it's usually for those on JSA for over 12 months.

What is meant to happen is that the JCP are supposed to ask if you can arrange a placement yourself. If not, they'll suggest a couple and this can then be agreed with your advisor.

To be 'mandated' to attend you should have been provided with a written Jobseeker Direction.

Ring up and ask if they can provide a Direction (if they are ordering you to attend). This letter then allows you to refuse if you provide 'good reason' - the same includes that you can find your own work experience placement.

A handwritten note can never be deemed a Direction, whatever the IT excuse.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    edited 15 March 2017 at 12:17AM
    Bogalot wrote: »
    OP also receives HB, and therefore presumably CTB also.

When you add it all up it's not quite min wage, but not far off. Even then it's irrelevant, OP is doing work experience, they're not subject to NMW legislation.

The OP does not - so wrong to presume (again).

Also untrue re all work experience for adults.

Unpaid internships and work placements indeed are covered - since the whistleblowing in 2014, all public sector bodies and political parties have agreed that they will no longer offer the same and will comply with the NMW Act until such time as an SI is laid and comes into force to encompass such short-term work placements.

I assume therefore any remaining placements the DWP can organise are with one of the 9 PLCs still offering them (as all but two of the third sector orgs also pulled out of the scheme).

www.gov.uk/moving-from-benefits-to-work/work-experience-and-volunteering

As you'll see, placements are voluntary and a claimant will not be sanctioned for leaving early. The Flexible Support Fund also covers transport costs to attend any placements - applications can be made at any JCP office.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure