Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller - how to beat it

Options
Packet sizes of some products are getting smaller while prices are staying the same or rising, Dispatches has found...
Read the full story:
'Shoppers short-changed by 'shrinkflation' as packets get smaller - how to beat it and keep costs low'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• colin79666
    colin79666 Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This isn't an entirely new thing. Years ago I was changing labels in a certain supermarket as packets of biscuits were shrinking.

I just find it dishonest. If manufacturers costs are going up then they should say so an put up the cost of the item or be up-front rather than being sneaky.

The other week I bough a Terry's chocolate orange and then found the segments weren't as solid as they once were. Now if they had shrunk the overall orange on the outside it wouldn't be so bad but to trim the thickness of the segment but keep the outer "peel" the same was just putting two fingers up the the customer. I won't be buying another!
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I see arguments for an against putting up prices VS keeping prices the same and reducing pack size. In some cases, people just can't afford the extra ££ is the pack were the same size and the prcie were put up.
    Can't say I noticed any difference in the choc orange this year, though perhaps I bought an old stock one.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 20 February 2017 at 11:28PM
    Options
    Pincher wrote: »

Which? organisation has been reporting about shrinkflation in their magazines for years, good to see that MSE and Channel 4 have finally caught up !!!
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 February 2017 at 7:53AM
    Options
    The most recent topic http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4765235

I think MSE members have let the media down though
    Now a Channel 4 Dispatches investigation has identified a list of 14 products which have been shrunk since June
    If members had kept the topic up to date there could have been many more for their report.
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I think it is a bit of a sneaky way of the manufacturers dealing with products costing more to produce, but I think we have to accept that either stuff will shrink, or prices will go up.

Depends on the product to which I think is the best option.
    For things like chocolate of crisps I think shrinking is best. If you want a packet of crisps you willing generally eat one packet, whether it's 10g, 50g or 100g. You wouldn't eat 1 1/5 packets if your crisps had changed from 30g to 25g. Therefore on 'unhealthy' foods shrinking is probably best.

On foods where the amount is important, then I would prefer the price to go up. For example, a pack of sausages. An 8 pack is perfect for one meal for our family. I want 8 sausages of that size, 7 would make serving up a hassle, and wouldn't be enough.

Personally prefer shrinking or prices going up to companies changing products to make them cheaper to produce. Heinz baked beans have so much sauce these days, and it's such a runny sauce now too, that I no longer buy them, even if they are on a good offer.
    Zebras rock
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just wait for uproar when a KitKat goes to three fingers ;-)
  • alinwales
    Options
    Problem we have is that some things are getting so small where one pack used to be enough for a family meal, but now it's a bit on the stingy side whereas two packs is too much.
    Baked beans is an example. Admittedly they haven't shrunk for a long time, but they used to be 440g, now they're around 410g. Can't do 4 beans on toasts with that! (not the amount i eat..)
  • minislim
    Options
    this sort of thing has been going on for years.

i recognise the brands and products that have been shrunk. so i just dont buy them anymore. unless its a real treat or they are on a really good offer.

but beware! even the offers sometimes aren't good value. Tesco's are good at that one.

notice which supermarkets dont appear to be listed??? Aldi & Lidl.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure