Rotar Cuff surgery

Options
Anyone had it??
Don't need any medical advice just an idea of when people were able to begin driving again.
SCP # 034
The £1000 emergency fund #59

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 5:21PM
    Options
    Depends on which arm.

In my case, it was a bit over two weeks before I regained enough control of the arm movement from my left shoulder to be able to change gear/handbrake and drive safely but for the right, despite considerably more work being done, I had enough movement/strength to hold/move the wheel to be able to drive from the fourth day after surgery.
  • pogofish
    Options
    I should add that doing the advised physio religiously does help a lot in getting your movement/control back. You may not feel like it at all in the first few days after surgery but stick-in there! :)
  • so_very_confused
    so_very_confused Posts: 1,081 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 14 October 2016 at 7:40PM
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Depends on which arm.

In my case, it was a bit over two weeks before I regained enough control of the arm movement from my left shoulder to be able to change gear/handbrake and drive safely but for the right, despite considerably more work being done, I had enough movement/strength to hold/move the wheel to be able to drive from the fourth day after surgery.

Thanks pogofish
    Wow.... I have been told it could be anything up to 12 weeks before I can begin commuting, certainly not before Xmas. I am due op in a few weeks and at present cannot drive as do not have enough strength/movement in my arm.
    I am very encouraged, thank you:)

Did both arms originate from same event. I ask as I am virtually soley using my left arm and have now started experiencing pain in that shoulder. I am holding my breadth that it will settle down....
    SCP # 034
  • pogofish
    Options
    That could be possible - Rotator Cuff work can cover a pretty wide scope and twelve weeks before resuming limited commuting is reasonable - it was a full twelve weeks before I was back to light duties with the right shoulder despite my driving being lightly affected - other planes of movement were much more difficult and for the first eight weeks or so I did keep my journeys short as possible.

The left was easier and quicker overall despite the more difficult start and light work resumed after eight weeks.

Yes, I think it did - all three surgeries stemmed from the same event as there is no family history involved but the docs did hedge their bets and yes one side did begin hurting before the other was treated. In my case it was right first but they operated on the left first because movement was more seriously impaired more quickly than on the right, despite the greater overall damage on the right side.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Thanks again pogofish.
    I am beginning to think I have damaged my left by seriously overcompensating for the right shoulder. Oh well,
    Glad to hear your now ok.
    I have quite a long commute which is probably why the medics are being over cautious. I am already having physio just to keep my kneck mobile and have lots more booked.
    Thanks very much for shedding some light.
    svc
    SCP # 034
  • pogofish
    edited 15 October 2016 at 1:26PM
    Options
    I'm not quite out of the woods yet - It was a full ten months before I could say the left was fully recovered and even then it still gets stiff when tired and I reckon I'll be dealing with pain/discomfort/limited movement in the right for a good while yet - Its only four months since I had that done but despite the pain and weakness, I do have better overall movement already. Rotator Cuff work tends to take its own time and whilst you need to try and use it as normally as possible, you also need to avoid overdoing it as that can set you back. :)

Its my right knee that concerns me now - the joints in my left foot completely disintegrated as well as a result of the same trigger event (viral infection) and that took flaming ages to get to surgery and I'm very concerned that I might have damaged my right knee by overcompensating in the three years I spent waiting for that - and because there has been a change in my gait and balance issues to come to terms with post surgery that have not helped matters. :(
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Hi pogofish
    Well you have certainly provided perspective for me!
    You have clearly had a dreadful time. All I can do is wish you my best and take care.:)
    SCP # 034
  • Pinkpegasus
    Options
    Hello, I had rotator cuff problems from a car accident. It took so long to be diagnosed with what the exact problem was that the surgeon did an exploratory operation via keyhole and a Sub Acromial Decompression (SAD)procedure and Mumford procedure were carried out.
    I was given physio to do myself a few times a day, included leaning forward, hanging my arm down and swinging it slowly in a circle, gradually increasing the circle. I also had proper physio which was not painful. I had the op on 22 Oct 2013 and was back full time at work as a frontline police officer on 4th Jan 14. I've had no problems at all with it since. I was driving about 3 weeks afterwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure