PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Waste not want not

Options
What do you consider to be waste, and how do you avoid it?

I hate wasting food - I've just had to throw away a full, unused pot of potato salad because the weather turned cold, I was making stews instead of salads, and it got forgotten at the back of the fridge until it was well past its use-by date. I'm normally more vigilant than that!

And what about other things - gas and electric, water, time. How far do you go to avoid waste?
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Great idea for a thread!

The constant area of waste in my life is electricity, I regularly fall asleep in front of the TV with the light on :o
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How far do you go to avoid waste?

A long way! Most things go either in me, the dog, the compost bin, the woodburner or my local charity shop.

I was in a charity shop a couple of weeks ago and overheard two women muttering about how silly it was that a lovely quality, lined and padded curtain that had lost its pair should be put out for sale. I bought it for 50p, took off the rufflette tape, turned a hem and it's now a very nice lap rug.

Frugal isn't the same thing as tight-fisted by a long shot!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have zero waste. I do this by thinking carefully about all food I buy. I have to know I'll eat it - and eat it all - and I look at everything I buy and think about what I've currently got to eat my way through before allowing myself to buy "new food".

I'd have eaten the potato salad, irrespective of the weather. You could've always served it alongside something hot, e.g. breaded fish, or fishcakes. It could even, at a push, have been mixed with more onion and baked as a hot side dish of potato/onion/mayo.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    The potato salad was slightly fizzy - so no, I wasn't prepared to eat it (it was a long way passed its use by date). But I was very cross with myself for letting it happen!

Today I've made breadcrumbs from bread crusts that we haven't eaten, and put them in the freezer - they will be used as a topping on days when I don't have time to make pastry or mash potatoes.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I plan meals around "rolling over" foods - so last Friday evenings sausages had 2 more in the pack than I needed, they were all grilled together and the remaining two made sausage pasta on Tuesday night.
    I also keep a "use-up" list in my Bullet(ish) journal - this helps with planning future weeks meals and also means I can target jars/dried stuff that may have been in the fridge/larder a bit longer than I ideally want.
    When I plan my meals I look at the fridge first - then the larder. The storecupboard gets a check through once a month or so which is also when we refill dry goods like pulses, pasta, rice etc.
    We try not to buy food on impulse as that doesn't help with the wastage thing - instead if one of us says we fancy something while we're shopping, we'll add it to the following weeks list/mealplan. As an example, MrEH said last week that we'd not had roast chicken for ages. This week we'll have a roast dinner on Sunday, then I'm going to do chicken enchiladas (probably for tuesday) as we have an enchilada kit in the cupboard that was bought for about 99p ages ago. The pickings off the carcass will go in a bag in the freezer to make risotto at some stage. Ideally I make stock from the carcass as well but that does have to depend on freezer space.

Bread crusts whizzed into crumbs is always a winner! :T

In terms of utilities, I'd be the first to admit that we're not the best with water but we do "choose" when to flush the toilet (you all know the mantra by now!) and turn taps off while cleaning teeth etc. We use buckets to catch rainwater for watering plants.
    Electricity - we make the most of our economy 7 hours and run everything we can at this time using timer switches. (For reference, we know that the Fire Service don't recommend this, but we have working smoke alarms, and are on one level with direct access to outside from our bedroom, also). Heating stays off until it's actually cold - when MrEH puts a thick fleece on in the sitting room during the evening I know it's about time. :D Lights are low energy bulbs everywhere we can (2 dimmer switched lights still need incandescents but once our current stock of these runs out we will be changing those fittings) and get turned off when we're not in the room.
    Gas - only used for cooking and I try to follow the "Cook once, eat twice" rule. For anything that needs boiling water it's boiled in the kettle then poured into the pan.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Food waste is nearly zero

Like EH I do roll over meals, making sure the ingredients I buy are used in another meal

Peelings and stalks etc are boiled up for the hens

Plate leftovers are fed to the dog

What he's not allowed ( pots bread etc) goes to the hens

We burn junk mail, loo roll middles etc. Any old bits of wood found or scavenged are also burned. Indeed we even sell kindling made from replacing skirting boards and doors in the house :)

Water, we don't have water charges here, but we are still careful with it. Flush when we have to, turn tap off whilst teeth brushing, only take 2 min showers, only put a full load on, make sure dishwasher is full etc. We rarely need to water the garden so we don't worry about water butts.

Electricity is expensive here, so I'm as tight as a ducks bum with it. TVs are set to turn themselves off if they aren't being watched ( it's ok to fall asleep), we usually don't bother having a light on to watch tv. Only use the full oven if I can fill it, otherwise it's the little oven. Even then I try to get by cooking most meals on the hob

I reuse foil till it catches fire, bread bags are used as lunch bags for DH. Ice cream tubs are freezer tubs, milk bottles are used in the garage and garden for storage, waterers and cloches. Butter wrappers are left in the fridge for greasing tins when baking. Crusts of bread are turned into stuffing or treacle tart or just plain breadcrumbs. I've even used old crackers as pie topping

We aren't perfect but we do our best to not waste. Not for any saving the planet ideals, just for our own satisfaction
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today I've made breadcrumbs from bread crusts that we haven't eaten, and put them in the freezer - they will be used as a topping on days when I don't have time to make pastry or mash potatoes.
    We eat our bread crusts in this house - imho it's the best part of the loaf!:o

I can't remember the last time we threw out food, if I'm honest; also I scrub root veg rather than peel, so less waste there, too.

We don't get leftovers, as I'm pretty good at making the correct amount for our meal (there's only Mr LW and myself, so it's pretty easy really) and if I make a "two-day meal" like Shepherd Spy (as we call it) we literally eat it two days in succession.

Our only real "extravagance" if you can call it that is we have a bath, but in mitigation, a good hot bath is the best way to sooth my arthritic joints. And we do share the bathwater.;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    TVs are set to turn themselves off if they aren't being watched

How do they know? :huh:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Dclutterchique
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread!

The constant area of waste in my life is electricity, I regularly fall asleep in front of the TV with the light on :o
    Unless you have a very old set you should be able to set up an 'Auto Shut Down' option, so if no buttons are pressed on the remote control after a given period of time (usually 3 or 4 hours) the TV will turn itself off. If you don't have this you could set up the 'sleep mode' for a given period of time instead.

For the light could you have a side or table lamp on a timer set to go off just past you bed time so on nights when you don't fall asleep in front of the telly you can turn it off manually before going to bed but on nights when you do the light isn't burning away all night?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

In terms of utilities, I'd be the first to admit that we're not the best with water but we do "choose" when to flush the toilet (you all know the mantra by now!) and turn taps off while cleaning teeth etc. We use buckets to catch rainwater for watering plants.
    Electricity - we make the most of our economy 7 hours and run everything we can at this time using timer switches. (For reference, we know that the Fire Service don't recommend this, but we have working smoke alarms, and are on one level with direct access to outside from our bedroom, also). Heating stays off until it's actually cold - when MrEH puts a thick fleece on in the sitting room during the evening I know it's about time. :D Lights are low energy bulbs everywhere we can (2 dimmer switched lights still need incandescents but once our current stock of these runs out we will be changing those fittings) and get turned off when we're not in the room.
    Gas - only used for cooking and I try to follow the "Cook once, eat twice" rule. For anything that needs boiling water it's boiled in the kettle then poured into the pan.[/QUOTE]

You can get low energy CFL bulbs that are suitable for dimming. Everything else well done, except please flush the loo, its probably about 2p per p.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure