Mortgage Adviser or source myself?

Options
2»

Comments

• SavingSteve
    Options
    Not a fan of lifetime fees myself. The fact of the matter is that under that arrangement the broker is earning fees via the commission. So at that stage you're no different from a fee fee broker.
  • David_White
    Options
    I understand the logic of a lifetime fee however it's not for me business wise.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MortgageMamma
    Options
    I think its a highly individual thing how we charge our fees. I work on this basis as I live in a small area not connected to a particular city or large town and most people know each other. As such there is a big wealth divide in this area and I couldn't with good conscience charge a client for repeat business. Most of my business is face to face and comes from referrals from existing customers and friends. When people take the time to sit down in front of you, they see the effort you make and you don't lose clients you gain them.

Internet clients on the other hand I find are less reliable and its not my preferred business model - you can get used and abused if you work fee free over the internet. So I can understand why a broker would charge a fee every time in this instance, or perhaps if they lived in a wealthy area and were giving very complex advice.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I understand the logic of a lifetime fee

You are one up on me then David.

I don't see how it works for the client or the broker.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Retrievermomma31
    Options
    Don't bother with a broker.
    No offence to any on here, but in my experience they are completely useless and a waste of money.
    Why pay someone to do something you could easily do yourself?

Had a bad experience with the first one I saw, who applied for multiple mortgages on my behalf with hard footprints. A year later and my credit score is still suffering.
    House for sale month: 4 :eek:
  • CashStrappedTeen89
    Options
    Thanks all, I am looking on my own I would be insulting MSE if I didn't, its just time I'm short on so going to all the lenders directly sometimes just doesn't work.
    Think I need to have a good few nights at it and then also look at what my options are with banks etc.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Finding the rate is 0.1% of the job.

The other 99.9% is satisfying lender criteria, docs requirements etc and smoothing the way to a quick and easy offer.

There are poor brokers out there, just as there's poor everything but on here we get more issues with those going direct than those using a broker, IMHO. There is little "joined-up" thinking and lenders are very poor at explaining how the mortgage and purchase processes work together and "what happens next" is often left to chance.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • David_White
    Options
    Had a bad experience with the first one I saw, who applied for multiple mortgages on my behalf with hard footprints. A year later and my credit score is still suffering.

Firstly you do not have a universal credit score and secondly if you're having issues getting approved for credit a year after you had these credit searches done I can tell you now that there's a bigger issue on your report causing the declines.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure