Loose skin after losing weight

Options
2»

Comments

• Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    I think the trick is to lose the weight slowly, so that the skin can adjust itself accordingly. Ask your GP for advice.

If you've got a lot of weight to lose, i.e. anything above 5 stone, then the rate at which weight is lost becomes irrelevant as there will always be an element of loose skin. Obviously age can play a factor but also the type of collagen your skin has is also important.

For people with a lot of excess weight to lose its a compromise that has to be made between poor health and shortened life expectancy due to obesity or losing weight and carrying excessive skin.

In the most severe cases then the NHS will fund certain surgical procedures to remove it but there is strict criteria in place and not all PCTs will agree to it.
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've lost almost 8 stone now and I've done everything "right" in terms of skin:
    - I drink lots of water
    - I exercise a LOT (and have built quite a bit of muscle)
    - I moisturise regularly
    - I lost weight slowly ~5 years
    - I'm reasonably young (mid 30s)

I'm not TOO bad (not as bad as you might expect for 8 stones weight loss) but I still have a fair bit of excess skin that I have come to accept that nothing except surgery is going to shift.

So I'm biting the bullet and have a surgical consultation coming up, assuming I'm a good candidate I hope to have the surgery towards the end of the year. In case anyone comes across this thread and is still interested/curious later - feel free to PM me and once I reach a suitable point I'll be happy to share my stories/photos (possibly ;))/reports.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    Angry_Bear wrote: »
    I've lost almost 8 stone now and I've done everything "right" in terms of skin:
    - I drink lots of water
    - I exercise a LOT (and have built quite a bit of muscle)
    - I moisturise regularly
    - I lost weight slowly ~5 years
    - I'm reasonably young (mid 30s)

I'm not TOO bad (not as bad as you might expect for 8 stones weight loss) but I still have a fair bit of excess skin that I have come to accept that nothing except surgery is going to shift.

So I'm biting the bullet and have a surgical consultation coming up, assuming I'm a good candidate I hope to have the surgery towards the end of the year. In case anyone comes across this thread and is still interested/curious later - feel free to PM me and once I reach a suitable point I'll be happy to share my stories/photos (possibly ;))/reports.

My sister is very similar to you, although she had a gastric bypass around 8 years ago which helped her to lose around 10 stone. As the weight came off she started going to the gym more and more, which increased her confidence and helped her to gain more muscle.

But her turning point was when she started strength training and lifting weights. Her body shape totally changed and she reached a level whereby she could enter competitions but the excess skin and the fact she couldn't hide it in the Lycra gym wear made her incredibly depressed.

She was fine in the gym amongst friends but couldn't bear to go public. The upshot is she found out from her GP that she qualified for NHS funding for surgery to get the excess skin removed and since then she's never looked back. It was a life changing event for her.

She's gone from a 20+ stone diabetic who had sleep apnoea and struggled to walk some days to a 10 stone successful weight lifting champion who would put women half her age to shame!

To look at her now, it's hard to imagine her as she was at 20+ stone.
  • ali-t
    ali-t Posts: 3,815 Forumite
    Options
    I havent tried it consistently myself but body brushing and drinking lots of water is meant to help. The last time i lost a significant amount of weight i used clarins tonic oil (yellow body oil) after showering and didnt have any loose skin.

using a powerplate is also meant to be good for skin tightening.
    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got!
  • juliafreitaslove
    Options
    Well, I will definitely not recommend you to save pennies for skin surgery. Skin surgery is not the solution, plus it is quite an expensive solution too. Throwing money is not a wise decision, there are plenty of skin care products available in the market, give them a try first, If you don't get satisfied with the results, then you can go for skin surgery.
    As of now you must try derma e Scar Gel, cost around $20 and gets you away from stubborn marks.

Mederma Scar Cream Plus: cost around $21 and have a reputation for results and protect your skin from sun rays. try them out and it will help prevent skin damaging for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure