PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 22nd September 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Another hospital visit today, they rang yesterday to see of OH could go for an echocardiogram, so we will be off shortly, at least we will not be sitting around for hours like we were yesterday.

Its dry, not quite as cold as it was yesterday, we are out tomorrow afternoon as well.

We had an invite to go to the harvest supper at the little chapel yesterday, we will go, OH rang the pastor to let him know. When I go shopping I will get some tins and packets, they support a scheme to provide food to disadvantaged people.

I read a death notice in the paper yesterday. My 2nd cousin has died, we were the only two children of our generation so spent a lot of time together as youngsters. He did not approve of me leaving my first husband, so I have not spoken to him for over 25 years. My youngest daughter and ex will go to the funeral.

When we got back from the hospital yesterday we had some soup and crackers and I decided to clean the kitchen floor, boy it was mucky. The Friday clean will get done on Saturday.

Hester I am sorry to hear that your L & M is not well, I hope you can get an appointment for him at the Doctors, he does work so hard.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good Morning all and <<hugs>> to those who need one.So many of our friends are having a hard time at the moment aren't they,but we are all here for 'virtual' support for you xx

H/H I manage OK on the £15.00 budget, its a case of fewer trips to the shops :):):) which I don't mind, and literally only buying what you need or have run out of.Since I came home from my holiday on 26th August I have only been to the shops three times and still have over £18.00 in my 'food' purse. But I am reasonably good at 'frugalling' which helps.Plus I am shopping from my existing food stock and freezer.Only fresh fruit and veg and essentials are being bought.
    Its surprising what you can find to make stuff out of, last night I had a Y/S fishcake with a cheesy filling that I found in the freezer with a few new spuds and some sugar snap peas that I bought and froze ages ago. I had a banana that was getting ripe so I knocked up some custard from some evaporated milk and had a banana custard for pud and I have some custard left in the fridge still so I will make up a jelly from one in the cupboard and that will be at least another two days pudding.
    Lunch will be a small salad made up with grated cheese,lettuce tomato and diced cucumber and beetroot and the rest of the left over new potatoes from last night, I may even hard boil an egg (I always have ex-large eggs from my local butcher) and use half in with the salad and the other half tomorrow as a spread with some mayo and a dash of curry powder on some crackers for lunch with some sliced cucumber on top.I usually have a few left over bits from my evening meal which I use next day for lunch. helps to extend my meals a bit.:):):)
    Breakfast is usually HM granola, bran flakes or porridge as I don't eat bread anymore. yesterday I had porridge with some sultana's in it and it was quite nice and very filling.

Today I am going to finish off my ironing left from yesterday and probably swoosh through my bathroom as its in need of a good clean, its a downstairs one near to the back door so gets a bit dusty when the back door is open to the garden :)
    Then its off to Dds this afternoon for the DGS coming home from school. Last night DD told me that she has booked a weekend away for us all at the end of November for my son-in-laws birthday, on the Isle of Wight !!. She decided that instead of just her and her OH going away for the weekend we will all be going .She has an unexpected windfall at work and said its a treat for us all and DGS Ben is coming down from Norwich with his G/F to go with us all.Fingers crossed the weather will be kind,although we aren't too bothered really as the IoW is home from home for us all. Nine weeks tomorrow we will be off again :), She loves it down there and once the children are older its where she will probably end up :)

Right time for some coffee I think

Have a good day everyone what ever you are doing

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning chums,

Woke up this morning feeling much better. No more sniffing and sneezing, just a bit of a cough. I'm looking out the window in the office which overlooks Glasgow city centre and I see nothing but blue skies, yet had a bit of a chill in the air - I love those mornings. Reminds me of the days I played football early Saturday morning.

Yesterday I had a moment of feeling grateful. My GF and I decided on pizza and pasta last night and we've grown fond of the pizza that you 'build' yourself in Asda. It was after I had finished work and there was a man my age, if not younger, behind the counter. He opened up a conversation with me about how my day has been, what my plan is tonight etc, the usual small talk. He then went on to say he had been working in Asda for 8 years at this pizza counter and he loves it. He waxed lyrical about all the benefits and how much he enjoys it, despite finishing at 11pm that night: a time which I'd have ate the pizza and be in bed sleeping.

I, like many other students, had a part-time job in a SM and didn't enjoy it - long hours for poor pay - and now that I've started my journey in my career and have a comfortable job I still find time to complain about this or that which is terrible really. I put my pizza in my basket, wished him an enjoyable shift and turned with a grateful smile. Note to self: be more grateful.

TA - Enjoy the wedding.
    Hester - Sounds like your batten down the hatches. Hope it all works out.
    Ruby - Fingers crossed for your DD.
    Hilstep - Thinking of you.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hester

Hope you can get a doctor's appointment quickly for l and m. Have you had a look at the "freebies "sites ? It does not cost anything and feels like a present when something arrives.

Disappointed as when I got weighed last night I had maintained so I need to be more careful in food choices. DD was not amused to find the kitchen cluttered so am going to sort that out today with a clear out of boxes for recycling etc.

jackieO

Your description of frugalling has helped me get my mind in gear and instead of going shopping I am going to use what I have in the fridge and have a search of the freezer. If I do go out it will be late afternoon for ys stuff and veg to make home made soups.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just got round to investigating online shopping for groceries. I ordered a pack of low fat meat which arrives next week and then looked at a supermarket for grocery deliveries.

If I have done things right then a lot of fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables should arrive on Sunday afternoon. Daughters should be pleased as they have been suggesting for months that I consider online shopping at a supermarket so I do not have to carry heavy stuff home and can be independent.

Some cardboard boxes are flattened for recycling and I hope to get rid of some more empty boxes from the garage. I even wrapped a couple of birthday presents for a dd for October.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Afternoon all
    Csarina, sorry to hear about your cousin.
    My L&M has been signed off sick for 2 week with Work Related Stress on his certificate.
    Hopefully he will feel better soon.
    Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GWS wishes to HH's L&M

Flippin' 'eck, that was a lot of abbreviations! :rotfl:

Been foraging today - and as a result have just put the 4th plastic tub of blackberries in the freezer.:T

We were out of bananas - this is not an acceptable situation, as Mr LW has taken to bran flakes and a sliced banana for brekkie, so we went into town, and I managed to get
    • 16 bananas
    • 9 pears
    • 12 parsnips
    • 2 pineapples
    • a 1lb 4oz pack of baby plum tomatoes
    for the princely sum of £5 for the lot. Not bad, eh? :money:

Mabon Blessings for anyone who, like me, is celebrating it.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Angel_Jenny
    Options
    Got a load of washing done - once the mist lifted it was lovely and sunny here. I really wanted to get the kitchen cupboards sorted and figure out what we need to stock up on and it wasn't as bad as I thought since they were already pretty tidy.

I have so much craft stuff which is good and bad. I have a double wardrobe to store it all in but am struggling ...... mainly because there is all sorts (fabric / paints / card making / sewing / wool) and I can't figure out how best to use the space, how to organise everything and how to have it easily accessible.

I have been watching Frontier Life on DVD and in it they are excited to get letters and news from home. Got me thinking that it would be lovely to have an old style pen pal - you know handwritten letters with little life updates and simple daily things.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Got a load of washing done - once the mist lifted it was lovely and sunny here. I really wanted to get the kitchen cupboards sorted and figure out what we need to stock up on and it wasn't as bad as I thought since they were already pretty tidy.

I have so much craft stuff which is good and bad. I have a double wardrobe to store it all in but am struggling ...... mainly because there is all sorts (fabric / paints / card making / sewing / wool) and I can't figure out how best to use the space, how to organise everything and how to have it easily accessible.

I have been watching Frontier Life on DVD and in it they are excited to get letters and news from home. Got me thinking that it would be lovely to have an old style pen pal - you know handwritten letters with little life updates and simple daily things.

I was only thinking that today, re penpals. PM me if you want me as one, and I'll PM my address to you. I always write to my granddaughters who live abroad.
    Carolbee
  • Slowly57
    Options
    Evening all - hope everyone is doing good - hugs and positivity to those who need it - and if you're in a dark place, keep going OK? xx
    2022 | Back to the fold - need a Money Saving mojo reboot!

Grocery Challenge JAN 2022 £200/£185.00 left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure