Can i claim against my employer

Hi There,

Can i get some advise. I was working from home due to medical reason and this was for approximately 8 months. I worked daily on a laptop has have started to notice pains in my neck (Well... it is between the neck and shoulder) i was not given an assessment of my workplace and do not remember having to complete a health and safety document, or anything of the sort.

After complaining about the pains, i was provided the relevant equipment within a few days of reporting this.

Please can i get some advise on what i should do?

Thanks

Comments

• Bogalot
    Bogalot Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    If you have pain then the best advice would be to see a doctor. Maybe get a massage or see a physio.

Sad state of affairs when the first thought is compo.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    See a doctor?

Seriously, instead of dismissing you for being unable to work, your employer made reasonable adjustments to allow you to work from home for eight months, and now you want to sue them for a pain in the neck because they didn't do a DSE on YOUR home!? Yet they responded to the situation within days the first time you said anything?

Where is your responsibility in all of this? If you considered that you needed further adjustments, why did you not ask for them? Why didn't you ask them to do an assessment on your home if one was needed?

Looking after your own health is part of the health and safety deal. You did nothing to help yourself, and now want to sue your employer because they tried to support you staying in employment instead of dismissing you. Unbelievable.

And by the way, that was a serious suggestion. You have a bit of pain in your neck. See a doctor. It's easily resolved.

I leave all the obvious jokes here to everyone else....
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Wow. Modern society summed up in a post.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 September 2016 at 11:51AM
    Ozzuk wrote: »
    Wow. Modern society summed up in a post.
    [STRIKE]
    What posts were you wanting ?

Whats wrong with the advice posted, might not be what you after or a bit brash.[/STRIKE]

My bad Ozzuk
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    deakin1980 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Can i get some advise. I was working from home due to medical reason and this was for approximately 8 months. I worked daily on a laptop has have started to notice pains in my neck (Well... it is between the neck and shoulder) i was not given an assessment of my workplace and do not remember having to complete a health and safety document, or anything of the sort.

After complaining about the pains, i was provided the relevant equipment within a few days of reporting this.

Thanks

Take resposibility for your own actions. Why do people look for a quick buck?
    Bogalot wrote: »
    If you have pain then the best advice would be to see a doctor. Maybe get a massage or see a physio.

Sad state of affairs when the first thought is compo.

2 Excellent points
    sangie595 wrote: »
    See a doctor?

Seriously, instead of dismissing you for being unable to work, your employer made reasonable adjustments to allow you to work from home for eight months, and now you want to sue them for a pain in the neck because they didn't do a DSE on YOUR home!? Yet they responded to the situation within days the first time you said anything?

Where is your responsibility in all of this? If you considered that you needed further adjustments, why did you not ask for them? Why didn't you ask them to do an assessment on your home if one was needed?

Looking after your own health is part of the health and safety deal. You did nothing to help yourself, and now want to sue your employer because they tried to support you staying in employment instead of dismissing you. Unbelievable.

And by the way, that was a serious suggestion. You have a bit of pain in your neck. See a doctor. It's easily resolved.

I leave all the obvious jokes here to everyone else....

All excellent points.

I wonder if the OP would look for compensation from a Bar for selling him booze if he fell over after drinking too much?
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Bogalot wrote: »
    Are you confusing Ozzuk with the OP? ;)

Yes I am, my bad.
  • deakin1980 wrote: »
    Hi There,

Thanks
    Shall we come and tuck you in at night, make sure you don't fall out of the bed?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • deakin1980
    deakin1980 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 22 September 2016 at 1:13PM
    “can I make a claim” can be open to interpretation, shall I rephrase... can I make a claim of unfair dismissal.

Maybe I should have stated, this is not a ‘compo’ claim this is merely the fact that it appears to me like they are trying to push me out of the door and it seems this is since advising of the issues I was facing. (This was not the reason for my past medical history)

They were aware of:
    1. The timing’s I have been out of the office and despite having all the medical data to support my medical history, I feel I am being treated unfairly (Yes I have already spoken to my manager about this and they are very cryptic in their wording).

2. Would this fall under some sort of discrimination act because I am still able to perform my job as per expectations.

The above is purely advise on where I stand. It appears there are too many assumptions from my initial post… and no further questioning.

Finally, I have seen a doctor, had a Gold injection for this yet still feel worried about my future within the company…

oh and thanks for the sarcasm...
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you been dismissed? The first post makes no mention of that....
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • and Takeaway_Addict, if you want to tuck me in bed you can. i mean whatever takes your fancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure