Would I be able to get credit to buy a car?

Hi everyone,

Just a little question about buying a car. I moved to the UK from an EU country (NL) about 10 months ago and want to buy a second hand car. I have been working full time in an office since I arrived.

A car salesman told me the other day they would not let me pay off a small amount on a car (about 4K) on credit because I have to be in the country for at least 3 years to be considered for credit. Is this correct? (Hope not..)

Do you think I would be able to get credit in another shop? Also, if I do get credit somewhere else would these payments help build my credit rating if I want to buy a house later on?

Thanks!

Comments

• bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    A car salesman told me the other day they would not let me pay off a small amount on a car (about 4K) on credit because I have to be in the country for at least 3 years to be considered for credit. Is this correct?

Yes. You will have to buy a cheaper car or save up for one.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Take the advice of the above poster......if you do manage to get offered credit, you will probably end up buying a £2000 car for £8000. £2000 on a private sale with a screen price of £4000 - then after you add up the total payments with the huge interest the total amount will be close to £8000.

I would buy a cheaper car and drive that while you build your credit history up - get a credit card (vanquish or Capital One seem to offer cards to anyone at 30-40% interest) and buy your fuel on it and clear it every month, after a year cancel it and get a main stream card and use that sensibly - you may be able to get a loan then at a reasonable rate and buy your £4000 car on a private sale.

You will need credit history AND a good deposit to buy your home - so depending on where your living you will need £15,000 - £40,000 cash saved up.

Good lucks
  • Thank you for your answers! I might just buy a slightly cheaper car for now and avoid the hassle.

Cheers
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Thank you for your answers! I might just buy a slightly cheaper car for now and avoid the hassle.

Cheers
    I've always found that avoiding hassle is generally a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure