Arriva takeover 'could push up rail fares'

Transport giant Arriva's takeover of rail services in northern England has stifled competition and could push up fares on certain routes, the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has warned...
Read the full story:
'Arriva takeover 'could push up rail fares''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• dggar
    dggar Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have travelled between Stockport and Chester going via Crewe on Virgin West Coast. Cheaper and quicker than the Mid Cheshire route.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I remember the "good old days" when you rocked up at the station and had only 2 or 3 things to consider: single or return; day or period; second or first. This was when people could actually afford to (and did) travel by train for pleasure.
  • tgroom57
    tgroom57 Posts: 1,431 Forumite
    It isn't just the price of tickets to consider. When there is no competitor the company can do what it likes with routes. Our local bus route was taken over (ie the contract bought up) by a company who have no interest in servicing our area - they just wanted rid of the competing bus company from our region. Our bus services are a third what they used to be with just 1 chance to get into town before 9am and that service often full or late. During the day we wait 90 minutes for a bus where their favoured areas get a bus every 12 minutes; and no bus after 6pm.

Most useful thing Offcom could do is to say Aviva must not cut services or reduce their frequency. I'm sure users will alert Offcom if that happens.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    tgroom57 wrote: »
    Most useful thing Offcom could do is to say Aviva must not cut services or reduce their frequency. I'm sure users will alert Offcom if that happens.
    The DfT specifies the frequency of service.
  • tgroom57 wrote: »

It is 'Arriva' (the trains and buses company owned by the Germans), not Aviva (the insurance company).

Apparently Aviva often get mail for Arriva and vice versa as people often muddle the two companies up due to having very similar sounding names.

JP
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Arriva used to run the bus company here in Malta and lost £50+ million. So they have to get their money back somehow.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,051 Forumite
    The last time i was in Malta the buses were these very old ( ie museum pieces) but well looked after yellow/white of various types. it was a hodge-podge system but it seemed to work.
    As for the trains, They are overpriced, and very rarely go form any location that I happen to be near.
    I was recently in Italy and had to make use of the Italian Rail system, turned up at the station and was charged €8 for a one hour train journey, that is there and then no advance booking just show pay and go
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Arriva used to run the bus company here in Malta and lost £50+ million. So they have to get their money back somehow.

Likewise our local buses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport