PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Long time lurker, made an account today. Time to get my head out of the sand.

Options
13»

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, my own recommend is to keep a really careful diary for a month or so.
    On my MS money programme (now trying Bank Genie) I have a "cash" account, into which I "pay" the cash I take out. I then programme in, as a regular bill, all the cash things I usually spend. On mine every week is £3 coffee & cake with walking group, £2 eggs at the farm, £10 at the pub on Fridays. Cheel could put in £1 every Friday, a cup of coffee every swimming lesson day etc.That means that I don't have to worry to enter the regular spends, and if for any reason I don't spend that week, I can either delete it, or accept that it helps with the few pounds that just drift every month despite my best intentions! One of my friends simply puts in "spends" as £10 a month.

Cheel, can I suggest that you do programme in a regular treat as well as moneysaving? I think writing money down, as everyone says, focuses the mind - but don't worry if it doesn't always work! Find out what works for you.
    I used to take a thermos mug to my children's swimming lessons, to avoid spending money on indifferent coffee. But now I take the grandchildren, the good coffee in the cafe is a weekly treat!
  • cheel
    cheel Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Hello jackyann, and thanks :)

yes working in a treat will be a good idea.
    I could easily take a drink with me to swimming, I just haven't been very organised about it. I usually buy a coke so it'd be so easy just to take one with me!!

The more I read the more I see that simply being organised and a little bit of planning will go a long way to making life cheaper and easier!

Cheel xx
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

May grocery challenge £7.58 / £200

May no spend days: 1st , 2nd, 3rd
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    hello again Cheel.

You are right about being organised & planning - and there are wonderful people on this board who can help with that.

But I would add: none of us are that organised all of the time. By putting some thought in (as suggested) we can find out what works best for us, spot the times we are likely to "fall off the wagon", but also importantly, to forgive ourselves when things don't go as we would wish.
    As we've discussed taking a drink to swimming lessons: if you forget one week, you might think "well, I'll sit here with no drink, I need the money later this week" or you might think "I could really do with that drink, I'll buy it". Neither is right or wrong - it's what works.

I have never (since giving up the Saturday job at 17) been paid in cash, but one of my family is. He simply keeps his accounts "money in" and "paid out to self".

If you like using computers, I have found Microsoft Money brilliant over the years - Microsoft no longer support it but you can download it. I have recently switched to using Bank Genie which has cost me £20. Getting on well so far, but too early to recommend.
  • cheel
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Well I've done it. Got the app on my phone and now the information is right in front of me. Bit scary, but I'm now about to set up some reminders for things . Should help.

I also went to get star drops soda crystals etc, and picked up some runner bean plants from my mum. (love runner beans!) .

So head is firmly out of the sand!!

Cheel xx

• BEAT_THE_DEBT
    BEAT_THE_DEBT Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Tracking your spends is one so useful and you will find out where your money is going and where you can save and also was the spend necessary and worth it :)
  • cheel
    Options
    Thankyou beatthedebt. I think I am doing alright. Its hard to know where to start and I've done that at least!!!

Cheel xx

• Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I had worried about filling and refilling plastic bottles, as there seems to be a lot of warnings about bacteria build-up or plastic starting to break down, and then realised that a glass vinegar bottle was the right sort of size, actually when I was about to recycle it. It was a basics one, and seems perfectly good glass with a strong screw cap. I'll make it a little crochet sleeve to shock proof it a bit. Cutting out fizzy drinks was one of the best things for saving little bits of money, although it was hard. I also use a flask for hot drinks, especially in winter. I do like a drink out as a treat, so still do that, but it's a social thing now, rather than just grabbing something because I'm thirsty. Your method of writing things down and keeping receipts seems good, so I might try that for a while.
  • fatpiggy
    fatpiggy Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Cheel, greetings from a Cornish ex-pat! I found that just sticking say, £10 in my purse when I went out shopping worked well as it makes you buy what you need first and gives you time to rethink about the items that you just would like. I have my penny pot and I stick everything that I find on the streets into it when I am out and about - I'm not too proud to pick up a penny! My circumstances have changed now and I round the total up to the nearest £10 at the end of the year and give it to a local charity, but otherwise you can keep it and treat yourself. The incentive to not spend it prematurely is to see just how much you can collect in 12 months. You are right about how just a little bit of forward thinking and organisation can make life much easier for you. You will find that success breeds success and as you get into finding ways to save money, you will become even more keen and find devious ways of hanging onto your cash. Actually, you will become obsessed.
    Your little boy doesn't need expensive treats - time spent just with you is priceless and you can find lots of free or very cheap things to do. A friend at work took her nephews out for the day and discovered that they had NEVER had a picnic. They drove to a local country park and the boys raced about, fell in the stream and thoroughly enjoyed making crisp sandwiches and having their tomatoes squirt pips everywhere! All it cost was the petrol. Give up the fizzy drinks entirely and it won't just be your wallet that feels better. Glad to hear that you are going to be converting to Stardrops and soda crystals. I unblocked a drain last weekend with the latter and converted my Mum to Stardrops a couple of years ago. She is now an avid fan and always gets me to bring down some when I visit Cornwall as she struggles to buy it there, well the oven cleaner with ammonia version anyway. Oh, and go to the loo or make a brew when the TV adverts come on and then you won't be tempted by all those wonderful sounding new products :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure