Struggling with debt? Ask a debt advisor a question

Options

Comments

• mark311069
    mark311069 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hello

I wonder if you can help me I have debt of 18k mostly on credit cards I have been trying to pay them of its not going well , I make payments every month on time I never miss a payment . but some of the debt on credit cards has been going on for 10 years. I owe Halifax just over 7k this debt is more than 10 years old ive paid back more in interest than I owe. ive rang them but they wont help , they tell me to ring back when I miss payments . I also owe the taxman as iam self employed . I have no assets, van on finance, I live in a rented house with my partner and two children. the debt is in my name only . should I declare myself bankrupt ?.
  • Former_StepChange_Richard
    Former_StepChange_Richard Posts: 119 Organisation Representative
    Options
    MaggieP4 wrote: »
    Hi there, I am struggling to keep my head above water and pay my minimum credit card payment each month and was wondering if writing and asking if they would stop adding any further interest was the best option for me and if they will take my request seriously.
    I have nearly £8k on a single card because I am an idiot and have previously spent above my means (there I have said it out loud for the first time), I also have an unsecured loan and my current account all with the same bank. As a stay at home Mum, my only income is a monthly payment my husband gives me for food and living expenses which would be more than enough if it wasn't for these debts (which he knows nothing about).
    I so want to start getting out of debt and stop waking up worrying about how I am going to pay for things at the end of the month. I have tried to move my card debt but its a no go because although my credit score is good, on paper I am without any income so have been declined a new card with O% interest transfer deal. I have talked briefly to my bank about consolidation but they advised me that despite years as a good customer, their rules have changed and they cant do anything to help.
    I feel like Im in a bit of a hole but stopping the interest would be a good start as it would mean I could actually pay off some of the debt not just the charges. I would ideally like to repay slightly less as well so I could get rid of my overdraft. Do you think they would be open to this suggestion and would I need to realistically set up a new current account too?
    Thanks, its such a relief just to admit Im in debt!

Hi

Thanks for getting in touch and thank you for taking this very difficult first step to sorting your finances out. People often tell us that the hardest part of becoming debt free is acknowledging the situation to begin with.

You are well within your rights to ask your creditors to stop interest and charges and they will have to take any such request seriously and respond appropriately. Unfortunately I can't guarantee the outcome of this request as it will be up to the creditor to 'consider' this. The Lending Code confirms this in saying that creditors should:

"consider reducing or stopping interest and charges when a customer evidences that they are in financial difficulties."

From what you describe, it sounds like you are in financial difficulties. Not being able to cover expenses for food and living costs because of the debt payments certainly sounds like you are struggling financially.

In our experience, your creditors will want to see that you are taking steps to improve your financial situation or that you are seeking professional help before agreeing to requests like this. Even then, there is still no guarantee that they will stop these charges, but at least it shows you are taking steps to help pay your debts back.

Here at the charity, we offer free advice to help people in these situations. We can look at your financial situation as a whole and then create an action plan to help you pay your debts back at an affordable rate for you. If you want to take our advice, we can then speak with your creditors about the interest and charges you are incurring too.

You can begin the advice process with us through our Debt Remedy tool on our website. This will allow you to build a budget in your own time and at the end, it will show the best options to help with your debts.

I hope this helps.
    Richard.
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
    Options
    mark311069 wrote: »
    hello

I wonder if you can help me I have debt of 18k mostly on credit cards I have been trying to pay them of its not going well , I make payments every month on time I never miss a payment . but some of the debt on credit cards has been going on for 10 years. I owe Halifax just over 7k this debt is more than 10 years old ive paid back more in interest than I owe. ive rang them but they wont help , they tell me to ring back when I miss payments . I also owe the taxman as iam self employed . I have no assets, van on finance, I live in a rented house with my partner and two children. the debt is in my name only . should I declare myself bankrupt ?.

Hi there

Thanks for getting in touch.

Paying debts off can be difficult especially if you are only able to afford to pay the minimum contractual payments. Even by not missing a payment, after the interest is paid, there is often only small amount taken from the debt itself. Rest assured though, as we will certainly be able to help you with this.

Without knowing more about your financial situation I can't say whether or not you should declare yourself bankrupt. Bankruptcy is a great solution for people who have no means to pay their debts back but, there are important considerations to take with it. You can read more about it and how it can affect you on our website.

To find what is the best option for you, I would suggest using our Debt Remedy tool on our website. This is free to use and will help you to build your budget before showing you the best solution to help with your debts.

If bankruptcy is right for you, we'll suggest this and we can guide you through the process. If there's better options, we'll offer the same help with these too.

I hope this helps.
    Richard.
    I work as a debt advisor for StepChange Debt Charity and have specific permission from Martin to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on StepChange Debt Charity in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article. If you find you're struggling with debt and you need further help try our online advice facility Debt Remedy.

Don't be afraid of getting debt advice. We'll help you take one more step towards getting help with your debt.
  • PRINCESSX87
    PRINCESSX87 Posts: 969 Forumite
    edited 18 April 2016 at 3:21PM
    Options
    Hi There.

I’m looking for a bit of help if possible.?

Around 5-6 years ago at the I ended up with very messy depression, for the first two plus years I completely denied it & tried pretending that everything was alright. I was able to get things on catalogues & was out of control of our money - So I swap money about our accounts to cover each bill.
    This went on for a good couple of months & because I was the only one who was dealing with the money side of things my husband had no idea.

I applied for credit, CC’s (was refused time and time again), buying rubbish just to keep up appearances. Then everything started catching up with me very quickly. I would just throw the letters in the bin, Ignore the phone calls ect.

Finally everything hit me at once, I wasn’t able to lie and pretend anymore.
    Roll on years later, I am much better, Money savvy, Debt savvy & we work hard to cut back on EVERYTHING. Problem is now, I don’t know if there is any companies out there that I owe money too - That could quite possibly come chasing us.

We want to get back to a clean slate & start saving for a deposit for our own home. But until we know that we have paid everything back, We are living on egg shells that another debt company will come knocking.

We’re hoping to be debt free within the next 24 months. That’s providing that no other companies are owed….Any idea how I could find this out? I was thinking something like Noddle?

This brings me to my second question. All my debts minus two we're in my maiden name. When trying to sign up to credit check sites it says to use your official name, Does this mean i could still go ahead and put my previous name in the box to find out the information i need?

Tia.
    Future goals:
    Become debt free.
    Beat Depression.
    Be happy & healthy
    Options
    Hi There.

I’m looking for a bit of help if possible.?

Around 5-6 years ago at the I ended up with very messy depression, for the first two plus years I completely denied it & tried pretending that everything was alright. I was able to get things on catalogues & was out of control of our money - So I swap money about our accounts to cover each bill.
    This went on for a good couple of months & because I was the only one who was dealing with the money side of things my husband had no idea.

I applied for credit, CC’s (was refused time and time again), buying rubbish just to keep up appearances. Then everything started catching up with me very quickly. I would just throw the letters in the bin, Ignore the phone calls ect.

Finally everything hit me at once, I wasn’t able to lie and pretend anymore.
    Roll on years later, I am much better, Money savvy, Debt savvy & we work hard to cut back on EVERYTHING. Problem is now, I don’t know if there is any companies out there that I owe money too - That could quite possibly come chasing us.

We want to get back to a clean slate & start saving for a deposit for our own home. But until we know that we have paid everything back, We are living on egg shells that another debt company will come knocking.

We’re hoping to be debt free within the next 24 months. That’s providing that no other companies are owed….Any idea how I could find this out? I was thinking something like Noddle?

Tia.

Hi Tia

Thanks for your post. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. I know these two situations (debt and mental health) go hand-in-hand and often one can make the other worse, but it's great that you're feeling more confident in dealing with your money now. Hopefully we'll be able to help you in identifying any outstanding debts you have too.

Noddle is our first suggestion for finding details of debts that you had because it's a free website to use (always helps). If you think you have other debts that don't appear on here, then it may be worth checking the other credit report companies too, but beware that there could be a fee to pay with them; Experian and Equifax.

Not all creditors share information with all of the credit companies. Some might not share the information of your debts with any of them (although this is highly unlikely). If after checking these, you still aren't convinced that you have all the details of the debts, the only other option would be to follow the paper trail. Contact the original creditor you had the debt with and then ask which debt collection company (DLC) they passed it to. Call that DLC and ask them who they passed it to, and so on.

It sounds like once you have found the information you're looking for you know how to deal with your debts, but if you ever want any free advice please don't hesitate to contact us.

I hope this been useful. Take care.
    Richard.

• kickgirl
    kickgirl Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I have a question about old debts. I know that after 6 years defaulted debts fall off your credit record BUT you have to keep paying them off. What I want to know is how any future lenders will know about these debts if they are no longer on my record? Will it affect any future borrowing?

Thanks
  • StepChange_Rachael
    StepChange_Rachael Posts: 375 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kickgirl wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a question about old debts. I know that after 6 years defaulted debts fall off your credit record BUT you have to keep paying them off. What I want to know is how any future lenders will know about these debts if they are no longer on my record? Will it affect any future borrowing?

Thanks

Hi

Thanks for posting.

When it comes to your credit file ultimately it’s up to your creditors to update the information to the credit reference agencies.
    There are three in the UK. Call Credit, Equifax and Experian. Not every creditor will update all three so if you want to be certain what is showing on your credit file it’s important to check all three.

Information on your credit file such as default notices are removed after 6 years which would then improve your credit rating.

There are many different factors that can affect your credit file and this rating is what creditors use to see if you qualify for further credit as well as other information such as your income.

When it comes to qualifying for future credit being successful depends on the creditor and the type of product you’re applying for.

Here’s a good link to give you more information about credit files and tips on improving them.

If you’re struggling with problem debt and would like further advice you can contact us here for free and impartial advice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Rachael
  • elw00d
    elw00d Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 22 April 2016 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Hi, looking for some advice. A few years back I got into some serious debt when a business we ran collapsed. We came to an arrangement with our creditors, mostly banks, and have been paying ever since. One of the creditors, not business related was a catalogue named JD Williams, we owed a small amount in comparison to some of the other debts and came to an arrangement to pay £5 a month. This was in 2008. I recently received a county court summons from a solicitors in regard to this debt. The initial money owed was £180 and over the course of 5 years I paid £250 but because of charges for late payment the debt has now grown to £450 including court fees. I have seen the printout from JD Williams, showing the payments we made which amount to just over £250, but they are unable to provide me with evidence of what the £180 was for, apparently their records don't go that far back, or any credit agreement. I have recently received a letter from the court asking if I prefer to take this to mediation, apparently over the phone, and its specifically asks if I am prepared to compromise. What I need to know is would a CC judge be sympathetic to the fact that we have paid over £250 off a £180 debt and that the charges were unfair or would i do better to accept mediation and make an offer, Which I have to say I am loathe to do. Sorry for the long post but I am pretty pee'd off with JD Williams and Lowells solicitors. Neither Lowells or JD Williams seem able to provide me with any credit agreement or what the actual debt was in relation too.
  • maryapple1993
    Options
    If I admit it, I am in debt.... and I need to get out!

I have just paid £2 online for a copy of my credit report, as I don't even know all of my debts......

What do I do now, how to do I go about clearing them. I haven't spoken to the companies for years and I just buried my head in the sand being a young student and all that stupid I know.
  • StepChange_Private_Messages
    StepChange_Private_Messages Posts: 120 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    elw00d wrote: »
    Hi, looking for some advice. A few years back I got into some serious debt when a business we ran collapsed. We came to an arrangement with our creditors, mostly banks, and have been paying ever since. One of the creditors, not business related was a catalogue named JD Williams, we owed a small amount in comparison to some of the other debts and came to an arrangement to pay £5 a month. This was in 2008. I recently received a county court summons from a solicitors in regard to this debt. The initial money owed was £180 and over the course of 5 years I paid £250 but because of charges for late payment the debt has now grown to £450 including court fees. I have seen the printout from JD Williams, showing the payments we made which amount to just over £250, but they are unable to provide me with evidence of what the £180 was for, apparently their records don't go that far back, or any credit agreement. I have recently received a letter from the court asking if I prefer to take this to mediation, apparently over the phone, and its specifically asks if I am prepared to compromise. What I need to know is would a CC judge be sympathetic to the fact that we have paid over £250 off a £180 debt and that the charges were unfair or would i do better to accept mediation and make an offer, Which I have to say I am loathe to do. Sorry for the long post but I am pretty pee'd off with JD Williams and Lowells solicitors. Neither Lowells or JD Williams seem able to provide me with any credit agreement or what the actual debt was in relation too.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I'm sorry to hear about your business and the difficulties you've had. As a debt advisor at the charity, I'm not trained in contract law, but I'll do my best to fill you in where I can on this.

In answering your first question about sympathy from a judge, it's not something I can answer unfortunately. I would imagine that any judge in any case would remain impartial and only make a decision based on the facts and the evidence presented. For an answer on how mediation might work out and if you should make an offer, I would suggest speaking with a legal professional.

If you have made an official request for the agreement (CCA request) then they will have to provide you with this until the judgement can be made against you. This won't stop them from asking you to pay or write the debt off, but until they can provide you with this the judgement shouldn't go ahead.

As always, if you need any help paying debts we can help. We can give you free advice on the best way to pay the back. You can contact us here to speak with us further if you wish.

I hope this helps.
    Richard.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure