Prescription items that are cheaper over the counter

Options
We've had reports from readers that some common prescription medications can actually be bought for a lower price over the counter. We want to tap Moneysavers' collective knowledge and find out what items they've been given a prescription for that turned out to be cheaper without one?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• oversight
    oversight Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 29 October 2014 at 8:07AM
    Options
    I am a pharmacist, so I hope the following is a useful explanation of how this works.

The pharmacist will almost ALWAYS inform you if your prescription item is available to sell for cheaper than the cost of a prescription charge. (I say almost because if they don't it's because they forgot - very rare).

When the pharmacist charges the £8.05 prescription fee, he/she doesn't get to keep it - it's a tax on the patient for the medicine (and as you probably know, bears no resemblance to the cost of the medicine). Every month the money sends the prescription fee money to a government agency called the PPA, and in return the PPA reimburses the pharmacist a piddling 'dispensing fee', generally around £1 per item.

When the pharmacist sells an over-the-counter (OTC) medicine from the shelf, he/she profits from this private sale just like any other shop. The profit might be more or less than a pound, but importantly, the busy pharmacist doesn't have to go through all the kerfuffle of putting the prescription in a queue, creating and printing a label, finding a white paper bag, being shouted at for not dispensing it fast enough....

Also, we'll tell you if something's cheaper because it's the right thing to do, and we like our customers/patients (even the shouty ones).

If you are lucky enough to live Scotland or Wales, or are one of the around 80% of English who get free prescriptions, none of this applies and you get your OTC meds free if they are on a prescription.
  • cyclegirl
    Options
    Hi. I think it's really important for the general public to understand something from a law point of view. As a pharmacist myself each medicine that I sell over the counter has a licence to be sold. If someone asks to buy it who does not fit the criteria of the medicine licence it is against the law for me to sell it. Therefore if you bring in a prescription and it is something that is cheaper to buy I still have to find out if it is safe and legal to sell it. If it is not I must treat it as a prescription only medicine and dispense it for a prescription charge. I will always say if it is cheaper as if I was the customer I would like to be told but if I charge you a prescription charge there is a reason for it. I hope that makes it clear.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cyclegirl, from what you say doctors can overrule the licence conditions for a drug. Is that correct?
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm not really adding anything to the hunt, but I've always wondered what the difference is between super strength ibuprofen, and just taking 4+ of the normal 28p ones is?
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    Options
    I once had to pay prescription price for a hydrocortisone cream for a skin infection - turns out Caneston make the same thing and sell over the counter for about half the price.
  • nuttywife
    Options
    I used to be prescribed hay fever tablets but now just buy them online as much cheaper. 12 months supply for about £10.
  • Basia02
    Options
    I had a nasal spray on prescription for years but when it went OTC this was cheaper - seems true for a lot of anti-hayfever remedies
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I've been prescribed things like ear drops, I have been asked by the doctor if my prescriptions are free.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my doctor always tells me if its cheaper to buy stuff OTC rather than a perscription
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Cyclegirl, from what you say doctors can overrule the licence conditions for a drug. Is that correct?

Drugs can be prescribed off label if suitable.

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/DrugSafetyUpdate/CON087990
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport