Real-life MMD: I saw a homeless man steal food - should I have reported it?

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 23 December 2013 at 1:15PM in MoneySaving polls
Money Moral Dilemma: I saw a homeless man steal food - should I have reported it?

I think (though can't be sure) I saw a homeless man steal a salad from Pret A Manger. Should I have reported him? I know it's a crime to steal, but this really tested my conscience.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    If it were me, I'd probably report it after the event, at a point where it's too late to chase him down the road, but so they can brief staff on keeping up vigilance and security to prevent future recurrence before it happens. (i.e. by asking the man if he's forgotten to pay next time he tries it)
  • nikki299
    Options
    I wouldn't have reported it. He probably needed the food more than pret a manger needs the few quid it cost.
  • bigbugboo
    Options
    If you see a person in need, don't report him, he's in enough trouble already if the only way he can feed himself is to steal. Step in and help the guy out. Pay for his meal and a drink too. Kindness like this costs so little. This is someone's son or father, what if it were yours?
  • savykate
    savykate Posts: 583 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely not worry about reporting it. The guy has enough to worry about as it is but as bigbugboo said, a little kindness goes a heck of a long way.
    :jGoals for 2015:j
    Win £2015 in 2015: £304.08/£2015
    Reach goal for house deposit
    Reach 11st (4.5lbs to go)
  • babushkava
    Options
    The OP says, "I think (though can't be sure)...", so there is no evidence, thus nothing to report.
  • nonnatus
    nonnatus Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    Options
    How did you KNOW he was homeless??

Maybe he was one of the "Career Beggars" that make £80 a day begging whilst also renting a home and getting benefits!!??

Yes, you SHOULD have reported it. Theft (especially petty theft like shoplifting) affects all of us, keeps prices high etc.

If the man was genuinely starving to death (!?) why has he picked a Pret salad?? He was stealing because that's the easy way for him. Less hassle than accessing the massive amounts of support available for people like him.

I just don't understand the thinking that says "Aww, it's Xmas, he obviously REALLY needed that expensive salad, let's all look the other way for today..."

Bah. Humbug to all of you Softies.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    If the man looked homeless to you then he would have looked the same to the staff, therefore an opportunity for them (or you) to help.
  • stmartinsdiver
    Options
    If it went to court can you imagine the reaction if when called as the witness you you said you were not even sure if it had happened?
    The man may or may or not have been homeless but eithr way it's too late now so no decision to make but you might just like to suggest to the shop manager that they keep a close eye on stock walking out without it being paid for..
  • his_missus
    his_missus Posts: 3,363 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    babushkava wrote: »
    The OP says, "I think (though can't be sure)...", so there is no evidence, thus nothing to report.

I agree with this.
  • pivotalgubbins
    Options
    My question is this - do MSE feel obliged to run this feature? My view is that if a 'dilemma' is as rubbish as this then it really doesn't need to be in the newsletter (which is otherwise filled with good content). This isn't a one-off though, I can't remember the last one that didn't make me sigh!

Drop, replace or rest this please MSE! :money:
    Personal ISA Contributions Challenge - current £0 (as at 1 April 2014) / target £15,000 (deadline 31 Mar 2015)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure