We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'Christmas jobs - who's recruiting?' Hunt

Options

Comments

• Ginger_Nut
    Options
    Nope M&S weren't recruiting AGAIN ... then then u have your 6 month BAN
    I worked at M&S over several Christmas periods. The hours were good, and they were flexible with upping them if you asked. We were well trained, and well looked after, with proper lunch breaks and tea breaks scheduled in. The staff canteen was subsidised so you got M&S food for every meal, in generous portions. I'd highly recommend them. I'm sure the ads were in stores around this time.
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • Ginger_Nut
    Options
    These Days Saisnburys want you to live within 5 miles of the store..WHY they never use to apply that stupid rule
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit late now? I saw ads for Christmas staff back in Sept/Oct. I know our local Sainsbury finished recruiting a couple of months ago and my DD started her temp job in another supermarket 6 weeks ago.
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • Liz3yy
    Liz3yy Posts: 1,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After completing an online assessment I have been invited to an interview for a Xmas temping position at my local Boots. I have noticed also that the likes of Tesco and the Body Shop are also actively seeking people to cover the festive period so it would seem short term jobs are still out there if you look for them.

It's been years since I worked in a shop so I'm a little nervous to say the least about next week, any tips?
    They have the internet on computers now?! - Homer Simpson

It's always better to be late in this life, than early in the next
  • Liz3yy
    Options
    Ginger_Nut wrote: »
    Its all very well applying to Boots Ive applied for a sales assistant job do all there bits required and then 24 hours later they reject you (i dont see why I worked for them for over 5 years) and then you get a 6 month BAN from apply again so that's christmas out then
    A lot of the major people are putting a 6 month BAN on you re applying what happens if your in a small town and NO ONE is taking on any one for christmas and you can't drive and the local buses stop at 6pm ...your screwed

Did you actually get as far as being interviewed for a position before they rejected you? makes me wonder if it's worth trying now?

• jacques_chirac
    Options
    Liz3yy wrote: »
    After completing an online assessment I have been invited to an interview for a Xmas temping position at my local Boots. I have noticed also that the likes of Tesco and the Body Shop are also actively seeking people to cover the festive period so it would seem short term jobs are still out there if you look for them.

It's been years since I worked in a shop so I'm a little nervous to say the least about next week, any tips?

In the case of Boots they want to know that you are customer focused, it used to be known as 'Selling the Boots Experience'. You would also ask a customer if they had everything they needed, and let them know about any offers available with the products they have purchased (three for two, for example) - upselling is something they are very hot on. Another thing they focus on is making sure the store is well presented, so if you're not busy and there are no customers needing help you would make sure you were pulling items forward, ensuring there are no gaps in the displays.

Good luck!
  • jacques_chirac
    Options
    Nope M&S weren't recruiting AGAIN ... then then u have your 6 month BAN

They ask you to wait six months before reapplying because there is something lacking in your application, and that six months gives you the opportunity to fill the gap in your knowledge and/ or experience.
  • Liz3yy
    Options
    In the case of Boots they want to know that you are customer focused, it used to be known as 'Selling the Boots Experience'. You would also ask a customer if they had everything they needed, and let them know about any offers available with the products they have purchased (three for two, for example) - upselling is something they are very hot on. Another thing they focus on is making sure the store is well presented, so if you're not busy and there are no customers needing help you would make sure you were pulling items forward, ensuring there are no gaps in the displays.

Good luck!

it doesn't sound an awful lot different from when I worked for Greggs, they too were hot on up-selling and encouraged us to flog as many specials as possible.

I'll report back next weekend and let you all know how it went.

• leaphaze
    leaphaze Posts: 357 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There still are jobs out there, Royal Mail seem to still be looking for sorting staff. I did it 20 odd years ago when I was at uni, very good little money spinner at this time of the year

My son did this last year, for 3 weeks before Christmas; 8 hour shifts on Saturday & Sunday, he did 2pm to 10pm I seem to remember. They've already contacted him to see if he wants to do the same again this year.
    Wearing my other one today.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These Days Saisnburys want you to live within 5 miles of the store..WHY they never use to apply that stupid rule

No dont know why, its only come in in the last say 8 years or so.
  • Liz3yy
    Options

That does sound daft, after all it's not like there is a Sainsbury store in every village and town across the land.

I can only imagine they implement this rule to ensure that any staff they do take on are close enough to come in at short notice, or to make it in in inclement weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills