We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Great 'Christmas jobs - who's recruiting?' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 12 November 2013 at 7:13PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Great 'Christmas jobs - who's recruiting?' Hunt
Big retailers will begin recruiting for Christmas temps soon (if they haven't already). So whether you're seeking or hiring, share your pearls of wisdom on where, when and how best to apply and which companies are good to work for temporarily.

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

View all past Great Hunts .

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• Kirsty1718
    Options
    I've worked for Boots on two occasions at Christmas,with one even leading to a permanent role,albeit in a different store. In my experience I found them to be pretty good to their temp staff,for example you immediately qualify for their staff discount scheme-including the odd double discount days they run-perfect for all those Christmas presents. The pay and hours were also reasonable and in my second role especially,overtime was very easy to come by.
    So all in all I'd suggest getting a Christmas job in Boots would be a decent idea-if you're lucky and working the day the soap&glory boxsets go on offer,you can grab one on your break before they run out! ;) As a quick aside relating to the ever popular s&g sets,in my experience by far the best option is to nip online the day it starts and reserve your set to collect in your local store for free.

Ps. Boots don't accept applications or CV's instore,all their positions are advertised on boot jobs(link from their home page).
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options
    I haven't seen many vacancies advertised by retailers this year, but then again I haven't been looking for those kind of vacancies.
  • lingolady21
    Options
    I worked at M&S over several Christmas periods. The hours were good, and they were flexible with upping them if you asked. We were well trained, and well looked after, with proper lunch breaks and tea breaks scheduled in. The staff canteen was subsidised so you got M&S food for every meal, in generous portions. I'd highly recommend them. I'm sure the ads were in stores around this time.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Isn't it a bit late now? I saw ads for Christmas staff back in Sept/Oct. I know our local Sainsbury finished recruiting a couple of months ago and my DD started her temp job in another supermarket 6 weeks ago.
  • WatsonNimrod
    Options
    There still are jobs out there, Royal Mail seem to still be looking for sorting staff. I did it 20 odd years ago when I was at uni, very good little money spinner at this time of the year
  • Eleanory
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Isn't it a bit late now? I saw ads for Christmas staff back in Sept/Oct. I know our local Sainsbury finished recruiting a couple of months ago and my DD started her temp job in another supermarket 6 weeks ago.
    I had a Christmas job many years ago in BHS. New staff were taken on every week even a few weeks before Christmas. Retailers take on temporary staff as and when they need them.
  • top_drawer_2
    Options
    I applied awhile back for Argos and had an interview which I was not successful at due to not being "fully flexible" i.e available at a moments notice on any / every day. I applied to a different store and they rang while I was working and despite ringing them back numerous times over several days they were not answering their phone. When someone finally answered the phone, they said they would speak to a manager and get back to me - unsurprisingly they didn't.

Has anyone managed to work a Christmas job around a second (part-time) role?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 November 2013 at 9:43PM
    Options
    top_drawer wrote: »

Has anyone managed to work a Christmas job around a second (part-time) role?

Yeah - call centre xmas temp last year for a household name in flying flowers! - It was fun, I worked through a recruitment agency and was weekly paid

Here was my routine
    Would get services users up from 7am
    9am - 5pm answer inbound telephone calls one after the other was really easy - ok the call centre were a bit lenient with allowing me in later as I was just arriving after 9 and having to whip of the tunic! was allowed to forfit breaks to make up lost time
    6pm - Return to care job to begin the put to bed routine
    Did this Mon - Fri then Sat morning, training was a full day with assignment start immediately and it provided 50 plus people with temporary jobs during December without having to have interview

Had consistent hours right up to xmas eve - not bad as I only picked up job end of Nov

It came in very handy if not a little crazy, it worked well whilst I had no lunch and tea care call clients and this is what got me into call centre's as I had never worked in one before, but it didn't go down very well with employer no. 1 must say and in the January I found myself without either job... still no regrets
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    There still are jobs out there, Royal Mail seem to still be looking for sorting staff. I did it 20 odd years ago when I was at uni, very good little money spinner at this time of the year

I had one of these a couple of years ago and it was terrible! The permanent RM staff saw our arrival as a chance to slack off and go on extended smoke breaks or to the canteen for subsidised dinners while we paid full price and did all the work. On a 12 hour shift, we got one 20 minute and two 10 minute breaks, but at their convenience, so I found my 20 minute break came two hours into my shift and I had no break at all during the last six hours.

Yes, the money was useful, but I was so tired and fed up with filthy hands covered in paper cuts, and 2 hours on night buses getting home, I couldn't wait for the three weeks to finish and would not recommend it if there were any other choice.
  • Ginger_Nut
    Options
    Its all very well applying to Boots Ive applied for a sales assistant job do all there bits required and then 24 hours later they reject you (i dont see why I worked for them for over 5 years) and then you get a 6 month BAN from apply again so that's christmas out then
    A lot of the major people are putting a 6 month BAN on you re applying what happens if your in a small town and NO ONE is taking on any one for christmas and you can't drive and the local buses stop at 6pm ...your screwed
    Kirsty1718 wrote: »
    I've worked for Boots on two occasions at Christmas,with one even leading to a permanent role,albeit in a different store. In my experience I found them to be pretty good to their temp staff,for example you immediately qualify for their staff discount scheme-including the odd double discount days they run-perfect for all those Christmas presents. The pay and hours were also reasonable and in my second role especially,overtime was very easy to come by.
    So all in all I'd suggest getting a Christmas job in Boots would be a decent idea-if you're lucky and working the day the soap&glory boxsets go on offer,you can grab one on your break before they run out! ;) As a quick aside relating to the ever popular s&g sets,in my experience by far the best option is to nip online the day it starts and reserve your set to collect in your local store for free.

Ps. Boots don't accept applications or CV's instore,all their positions are advertised on boot jobs(link from their home page).
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business