Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > About MSE > Martin's Blogs & Appearances Discussion > 'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con – food labell... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con – food labelling must improve' blog discussion
Views: 2,355
# 1
MSE Helen
Old 19-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default 'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con – food labelling must improve' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
matty_art
Old 19-08-2013, 12:22 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...
# 3
LeeUK
Old 19-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Is this like that Jonathan Maitland bloke saying 6 doughnuts are healthier than a fruit smoothie?

I gave up on that bloke when he was describing the World Wide Web as the Internet once.
Lee's No More Kebab Club No.1
# 4
Gordon the Moron
Old 19-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's annoying but I don't really see how you can stop them doing it. They aren't lying to you, there is 160 odd calories in 28g of the crisps.

I find per 100g information useful as well as per pack/serving depending on what it is. It makes working out whether one snack has a higher percentage fat than another easier.
If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordon the Moron For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
JimmyTheWig
Old 19-08-2013, 1:27 PM

I also think that the serving size should be related to what a reasonable person would eat.
So often my wife and I will share a supermarket pudding and then look to see the suggested serving is 1/6th of the pudding. I find it hard to believe that most couples would make it last three sittings.
Neither of us are calorie counting, so it doesn't really matter, but I still think it is wrong.

And am I right that a 500ml bottle of Coke is described as two 250ml servings? Who would share one of those?

The other one that annoyed me the other day was a bag of salad which contained "1 and a bit" servings - i.e. the weight of the pack wasn't a multiple of the weight of a serving.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimmyTheWig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
zerog
Old 19-08-2013, 7:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.
The Following User Says Thank You to zerog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Kite2010
Old 19-08-2013, 9:19 PM

Best one is some crisps being advertised on the radio, at only 99 calories per 23g serving.

Who will sit down and weigh out 23 grams of crisps from a 200 gram packet?
# 8
Skie
Old 19-08-2013, 11:10 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Nada666
Old 20-08-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.
But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.

And if you are stuffing your face with a 250g (or, rather, 165g - that is a far more annoying shenanigan to me) bag of sweets then why does the calorie content matter in the first place?

Most items contain both per 100 or per 1000 details as well as per 'serving' anyway.

The Discos example is valid, though.
# 10
JimmyTheWig
Old 20-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada666 View Post
But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.
I disagree.
The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimmyTheWig For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
stephen77
Old 21-08-2013, 12:12 AM

labels will start to look different next year.

They are aiming them to be easier for the general public to use.
# 12
stephen77
Old 21-08-2013, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheWig View Post
I disagree.
The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?
some portions sizes will be consistent with e.g. 2 litre version of coke etc. With a 2 litre bottle of coke they will assume the average person will then drink 250ml a time.
I have not checked the portion size on coke so could be wrong.

Also when coke sell the bottle. They will not change the label if they think its going to boots meal deal or the garage forecourt.

WIth garage forecourt they can often sell a bottle and people will share a bottle with there other half. So 250ml can be relevant.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephen77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
StacFace
Old 21-08-2013, 2:36 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheWig View Post
I disagree.
I've never drank a 500ml bottle of drink in one go and have never seen anyone else do it either. I've always drank around half of it with my lunch then saved the other half to drink over the rest of the afternoon. My parents, sisters, other family members and friends have always done the same when I've been out with them and at college & uni there were loads of people with half-full bottles of 500ml drinks on the desk in the afternoons.

I've always seen a meal deal as buying some lunch, a snack and a drink that will last you the afternoon too. Surely that's why 500ml is the smallest of the bottle sizes rather than the largest of the cans?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StacFace For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
monyman
Old 21-08-2013, 9:50 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Does seem a bit rude tbh but the real issue with Discos is that they are disgusting to eat
The Following User Says Thank You to monyman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
pink princess
Old 21-08-2013, 9:56 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm more concerned that labels don't even list the correct ingredients.
Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
# 16
JimmyTheWig
Old 21-08-2013, 9:57 AM

Maybe I'm in the (piggy) minority when it comes to 500ml drinks, then!

Maybe this discussion demonstrates that the concept of a typical portion size is flawed.
# 17
N1AK
Old 21-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_art View Post
The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...
Which apparently is what Martin wants them to be legislated or otherwise forced to do (label biscuits per biscuit). The problem with any kind of regulation of pack sizes is that not everyone is the same and actually doing it would become a nightmare.

Is a 60g bag of crisps 1 portion, 80g? 100g? 150? 200g?

Why label per biscuit if some biscuits are half the size of others. Is there any evidence to suggest that this better informs people? All it'd encourage is companies to put more, smaller, biscuits into a pack and customers to buy smaller, potentially less healthy biscuits in packs.

Perhaps Martin would like to set up a voluntary committee that will define the standard portion size for all foods and then seek a commitment from food manufacturers to label accordingly?
Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
The Following User Says Thank You to N1AK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
stephen77
Old 21-08-2013, 12:38 PM

as said above labelling will change in 2014.

Its also going to more standard across the EU as well.

So there will still be things that confuse people at first, but in the long term should be better as when you go on your holidays it will be the same.
Its been desinged to allow people to more easily identify nutritional values of products etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephen77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
p00hsticks
Old 22-08-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog View Post
Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.
'Grab bags' aren't the standard small packets - they're considerably bigger (two portions worth ;-) !)