Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 19th Aug 13, 11:22 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con food labelling must improve' blog discussion
    • 19th Aug 13, 11:22 AM
    'Discos grab-bag crisps calorie con food labelling must improve' blog discussion 19th Aug 13 at 11:22 AM
    This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.
Page 1
    • matty_art
    • By matty_art 19th Aug 13, 12:22 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    matty_art
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:22 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:22 PM
    The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 19th Aug 13, 12:35 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:35 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:35 PM
    Is this like that Jonathan Maitland bloke saying 6 doughnuts are healthier than a fruit smoothie?

I gave up on that bloke when he was describing the World Wide Web as the Internet once.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 19th Aug 13, 12:48 PM
    • 1,379 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:48 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 12:48 PM
    It's annoying but I don't really see how you can stop them doing it. They aren't lying to you, there is 160 odd calories in 28g of the crisps.

I find per 100g information useful as well as per pack/serving depending on what it is. It makes working out whether one snack has a higher percentage fat than another easier.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 19th Aug 13, 1:27 PM
    • 11,258 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    • 19th Aug 13, 1:27 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 1:27 PM
    I also think that the serving size should be related to what a reasonable person would eat.
    So often my wife and I will share a supermarket pudding and then look to see the suggested serving is 1/6th of the pudding. I find it hard to believe that most couples would make it last three sittings.
    Neither of us are calorie counting, so it doesn't really matter, but I still think it is wrong.

And am I right that a 500ml bottle of Coke is described as two 250ml servings? Who would share one of those?

The other one that annoyed me the other day was a bag of salad which contained "1 and a bit" servings - i.e. the weight of the pack wasn't a multiple of the weight of a serving.
    • zerog
    • By zerog 19th Aug 13, 7:00 PM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    zerog
    • 19th Aug 13, 7:00 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 7:00 PM
    Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.
    • Kite2010
    • By Kite2010 19th Aug 13, 9:19 PM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    Kite2010
    • 19th Aug 13, 9:19 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 9:19 PM
    Best one is some crisps being advertised on the radio, at only 99 calories per 23g serving.

Who will sit down and weigh out 23 grams of crisps from a 200 gram packet?
    • Skie
    • By Skie 19th Aug 13, 11:10 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Skie
    • 19th Aug 13, 11:10 PM
    • 19th Aug 13, 11:10 PM
    Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.
    • Nada666
    • By Nada666 20th Aug 13, 12:09 PM
    • 4,872 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    Nada666
    • 20th Aug 13, 12:09 PM
    • 20th Aug 13, 12:09 PM
    Bottles of pop use the same tactic. 250ml serving listed on a 500ml bottle. Same with those cinema sized bags of sweets

Really, they should be forced to list calories for the entire bag/packet. Anything along the lines of what 'a reasonable person would consume' would be stretched and abused simply to get around the rules. Plus if you only ever list the entire contents of individual things it's far easier for someone to work out what half/quarter is and moderate their intake accordingly.
    Originally posted by Skie
    But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.

And if you are stuffing your face with a 250g (or, rather, 165g - that is a far more annoying shenanigan to me) bag of sweets then why does the calorie content matter in the first place?

Most items contain both per 100 or per 1000 details as well as per 'serving' anyway.

The Discos example is valid, though.
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 20th Aug 13, 12:27 PM
    • 11,258 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    But 250 ml is a normal serving of pop. Most people are stretched to down a 330 ml can never mind a bottle.
    Originally posted by Nada666
    I disagree.
    The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
    It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 21st Aug 13, 12:12 AM
    • 3,761 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    stephen77
    labels will start to look different next year.

They are aiming them to be easier for the general public to use.
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 21st Aug 13, 12:18 AM
    • 3,761 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    stephen77
    I disagree.
    The vast majority of people who buy 500ml bottles of drink would drink it themselves as one portion.
    It's the size of drink that's included in the meal deal in Boots and other places. Why would you get a sandwich for one person, a snack for one person and a drink for two people?
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    some portions sizes will be consistent with e.g. 2 litre version of coke etc. With a 2 litre bottle of coke they will assume the average person will then drink 250ml a time.
    I have not checked the portion size on coke so could be wrong.

Also when coke sell the bottle. They will not change the label if they think its going to boots meal deal or the garage forecourt.

WIth garage forecourt they can often sell a bottle and people will share a bottle with there other half. So 250ml can be relevant.
    • StacFace
    • By StacFace 21st Aug 13, 2:36 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    StacFace
    I disagree.
    Originally posted by JimmyTheWig
    I've never drank a 500ml bottle of drink in one go and have never seen anyone else do it either. I've always drank around half of it with my lunch then saved the other half to drink over the rest of the afternoon. My parents, sisters, other family members and friends have always done the same when I've been out with them and at college & uni there were loads of people with half-full bottles of 500ml drinks on the desk in the afternoons.

I've always seen a meal deal as buying some lunch, a snack and a drink that will last you the afternoon too. Surely that's why 500ml is the smallest of the bottle sizes rather than the largest of the cans?
  • monyman
    Does seem a bit rude tbh but the real issue with Discos is that they are disgusting to eat
    • pink princess
    • By pink princess 21st Aug 13, 9:56 AM
    • 11,955 Posts
    • 34,802 Thanks
    pink princess
    I'm more concerned that labels don't even list the correct ingredients.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth
    • JimmyTheWig
    • By JimmyTheWig 21st Aug 13, 9:57 AM
    • 11,258 Posts
    • 10,990 Thanks
    JimmyTheWig
    Maybe I'm in the (piggy) minority when it comes to 500ml drinks, then!

Maybe this discussion demonstrates that the concept of a typical portion size is flawed.
    • N1AK
    • By N1AK 21st Aug 13, 11:17 AM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    N1AK
    The worst culprit here is Twix, which IIRC has the information for each individual biscuit...
    Originally posted by matty_art
    Which apparently is what Martin wants them to be legislated or otherwise forced to do (label biscuits per biscuit). The problem with any kind of regulation of pack sizes is that not everyone is the same and actually doing it would become a nightmare.

Is a 60g bag of crisps 1 portion, 80g? 100g? 150? 200g?

Why label per biscuit if some biscuits are half the size of others. Is there any evidence to suggest that this better informs people? All it'd encourage is companies to put more, smaller, biscuits into a pack and customers to buy smaller, potentially less healthy biscuits in packs.

Perhaps Martin would like to set up a voluntary committee that will define the standard portion size for all foods and then seek a commitment from food manufacturers to label accordingly?
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 21st Aug 13, 12:38 PM
    • 3,761 Posts
    • 3,327 Thanks
    stephen77
    as said above labelling will change in 2014.

Its also going to more standard across the EU as well.

So there will still be things that confuse people at first, but in the long term should be better as when you go on your holidays it will be the same.
    Its been desinged to allow people to more easily identify nutritional values of products etc.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 22nd Aug 13, 10:24 AM
    • 4,680 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Smiths is a newsagent and bookstore, so it's perfectly reasonable to sell only small bags of crisps.
    Originally posted by zerog
    'Grab bags' aren't the standard small packets - they're considerably bigger (two portions worth ;-) !)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,555Posts Today

8,918Users online

Martin's Twitter