The great 'shop assistants: Divulge your sale tactics' Hunt

Options
Former_MSE_Debs
Former_MSE_Debs Posts: 890 Forumite
edited 16 July 2013 at 4:35PM in Shop but don't drop
Great 'Shop assistants: Divulge your sale tactics' Hunt

There are often signs items will be included in a sale before it begins (a dot on the tag, sticker on the label, etc), but they aren't always easy to spot. Do you work for a popular retailer? Have you cracked the pre-sale 'code'?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, watch our New to Forum? Intro Guide .

View all past Great Hunts .

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• runrosyfox
    runrosyfox Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    Not a shop assistant but - in years past, I've noticed that, at least three days before the Zara sale begins, the clothes - which are usually "helpfully" (not for purse!) arranged into outfits/colour - are rearranged by garment type eg shirts, jeans etc.
  • ThinkingOfLinking
    ThinkingOfLinking Posts: 11,828 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If tags have anything pencilled on the back of them, then it is likely they're going into the sale...that's the rule I apply anyway.
  • nephilim
    nephilim Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have worked in retail, and here are my sales tactics.

Look for ANY disfigurements to the items
    If it is clothes, then look for any tears, frays, anything that may need cleaning, scuffs etc. This can usually net you between 20-60% off the items costs within the sale, making it cheaper than it was. Do NOT deliberately make the scuffs and such like yourself, as you may end up paying full price for the item, and/or be banned from store.

Some items come with bulk buy discount.
    Some clothes and items have a bulk buy discount, for example, next offer shirts on sale, and ties at a heavily discounted rate if purchased at the same time. Same goes for footlocker, they often throw in free socks when buying shoes if you ask.

If an item is on the website but not on the shelf
    Sometimes items can be on a website sale, but not on the shelf in store. If you are making lots a trip to the local shopping centre, buy the sale item online, and have it delivered to store, it is usually free, and the online discounts can be better than in store.

Buy display models
    If an item you want is not available (IE sold out), ask to buy the display model. This ends up usually cheaper than the sale item as it has been used for a period of time, and you still get the full warranty with the item. PC World/Curries store clerks tend to say no, but speaking to a supervisor or a manager can net you the item for a largely discounted cost.
    • Total Debt :£190,000 - Mortgage
    • Owed: £9000 Virgin Atlantic American Express
    • Owed: £9000 Tesco Clubcard Mastercard
    • Owed: £5500 Barclaycard Platinum
    • Owed: £1800 - Car Payments
    • Debt Free Date : May 2050
  • Quaint1
    Quaint1 Posts: 364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't work for Marks & Spencer, but I have noticed that little yellow stickers appear on shelves in the food section (usually next to the price ticket) containing soon-to-be-reduced items. I've spotted the stickets a few times in my local branch, and wondered what they were for - one day, inspiration hit me and I looked above the sticker to see what the "Use by/Best Before" date was on the product - sure enough, it was that day.
    I assume someone goes arround checking dates and putting the stickers on the shelf, to make things easier on the person who had to print off and apply the reduced price stickers...
    Au Res.,
    Paul
  • building_with_lego
    Options
    I've noticed that my local supermarket scribbles through the barcode on the shelf label when things are being discontinued. Often these things then end up with a 'clearance' tag on the shelf or on the reduced shelves.
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • hannerrbabes
    hannerrbabes Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I worked for River Island, we would pencil numbers on the tags of clothes that were shortly going into sale.
    I currently work for Quiz in Debenhams and Debenhams have regular sales - blue cross, seasonal and the "mega weeks". Research when these will be, before buying expensive items. Also, as there are so many concessions within Debenhams, they all have their own sales on too.
    Also, never be afraid to ask for a discount - even 10% is good if the product isn't perfect.
  • travelbuddy09
    Options
    Quaint1 wrote: »
    I don't work for Marks & Spencer, but I have noticed that little yellow stickers appear on shelves in the food section (usually next to the price ticket) containing soon-to-be-reduced items. I've spotted the stickets a few times in my local branch, and wondered what they were for - one day, inspiration hit me and I looked above the sticker to see what the "Use by/Best Before" date was on the product - sure enough, it was that day.
    I assume someone goes arround checking dates and putting the stickers on the shelf, to make things easier on the person who had to print off and apply the reduced price stickers...
    Au Res.,
    Paul

I work for M&S in the Food Hall and you're right Quaint1, we will go along a certain section, usually in the morning after the day's delivery has been put out and reduce that particular day's food items. If we have enough staffing that day (we don't always at my store) we will put a small yellow rectangular sticker on the ticket if there are only 1 or 2 items going out of date on that day. If there are more than two then they will all be reduced straightaway. The aim of the yellow stickers is that if there are only 1 or 2 items then they may sell throughout the day and not need reducing, hence the company can get full price for them still and it cuts down each store's waste figure for the week as every store has a target to meet on the amount of waste which is deemed acceptable. At the end of the day another person will go round the food hall looking for the yellow stickers and if there are any of the items still on the shelf/fridge then they will be reduced at that time. :)
  • minicooper272
    minicooper272 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work as a sales assistant in the lead up to Monsoon/Accessorize sales. We would tend to pencil the new price on the label so that we can pen it on later. 40E would mean it's going down to £40.50, 40A was £40 on the nose.

On the shop floor, items would only be marked about 48 hours before the sale. We didn't want to be dishonest, and of course people would ask if an item was going to be in the sale. It was easy to know that completely new stock would not be in the sale, and so we could tell them that, but anything older, we weren't supposed to say anything, so I would tell them the day the sale starts and say it's up to them whether they want to come back on that day (whether the item was reduced or not)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to work in River Island and we used to start taking up Sale items as much as 5 or 6 months before the sale. Not all the items but some. Others would stay on the shop floor and in light pencil marks such as 015 would mean an item would go down to £15 or 0015 down to £1.50.

As for when the sale was, most staff were not told and often it wasn't revealed until the week before to prevent info being leaked to friends and family who may still shop there but sale weeks were always "diamond" weeks which meant no one could take a holiday during this period without a lot of effort so some may have been able to work it out.

Oh and please, don't ask staff if you can use their discount! Staff have a limited at best discount and to stop it being used without limits (we were limited to discounts on a maximum of £300 worth of stock -that's £300 before the discount was applied, per season and often seasons forgot to be renewed.) Managers would also have to authorise any sale by staff which could only be done outside of shift hours and only used on staff members themselves or close family, if you went against the rules you risked losing your job or a disciplinary at the very least.
  • maggiebee48
    maggiebee48 Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    I have noticed in our local Tesco stores that the reductions are no longer a reduction ie items marked '2 for £4' are individually marked as '£1.99' so technically a 1p reduction.
    Has anyone else noticed Tesco being mingy with their reducing of price or is it just in Birmingham?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure