ask its a 30 minute interview by a panel of three followed by an IT
test was advised this was data inputting

thanks in advance

corriefan

Comments

• Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Okay, before you get into the building tell yourself you love interviews - they are a great opportunity to demonstrate how upbeat, relaxed and confident you are.

If they've asked you for an interview then your CV must have passed the initial criteria, so don't worry too much about your job skills (assuming you have given them an accurate CV). Now is the time for you and "them" to decide whether you can work together.

Dress tidily but in clothes you feel comfortable in, and allow yourself extra time to find where you have to go. Remember, a friendly, open smile to everyone you meet, not just the interviewer/s, works wonders - and a cool, positive but gentle handshake, if you are offered one. Keep your head up and meet their eye contact, looking happy and pleased to meet them.

Work out in your mind a couple of genuine questions - not just those that are for your own benefit, like holidays and pay. Don't feel you have to ask your questions come what may, but have them up your sleeve in case you get vibes that you need to show some informed interest.

Let the interviewer conduct the proceedings, but look alert and interested at all times. Accept a coffee if offered, but don't smoke even if he/she is.

Take a deep breath before going in, and smile. Then let your personality do the "work". Best of luck!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• grownup1
    grownup1 Posts: 270 Forumite
    Options
    To cope with nerves and project energy, try a short brisk walk to the interview while listening to your favourite happy music on headphones. Best of luck.
  • skr80ab
    skr80ab Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    arrive early to make sure u know location, then grab a coffee and read thru any notes u have. find out a little about the company / product / job beforehand to mention at interview (shows initiative) provide some specific examples of when you have done something rather than 'if that happened I would do this', and remember its only 30 mins of your life involved with far more important things elsewhere happening... best of luck
  • BrightonLad
    BrightonLad Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi corriefan, i had a job interview last month, and i am pleased to say i was offered the job and i start on monday! Anyway, i was looking forward to going to the interview, but i wanted to make sure i was prepared for what they were going to ask. I managed to have answers to every question they asked, which is what i was worried about - and i gave evidence/examples of all the things i said too.

I used the following web pages very useful

http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq1.htm
    http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq2.htm
    http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq3.htm
    http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq4.htm
    http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq5.htm
    http://www.alec.co.uk/interview/intq6.htm

Go through the questions and pick out the ones relevent to the job you are applying, and write down answers for them, and use examples where u can.

What i did was write down bullet points to act as a reminder, and i took 1 page of typed notes to the interview with me so i could look at it if i got stuck on anything.

i broke it down in to following areas

CAREER HISTORY
    STRENGTHS
    DEVELOPMENT AREAS - and how i was currently working on these
    ACHEIVEMENTS
    WHAT DO I WANT TO GET OUT OF THE JOB
    QUESTIONS

to give you an idea, these are the questions i asked...

· How will I be managed? How am I given tasks? what meetings will i attend?

· Who will report to me?

· What training will I receive?

· What will my salary be?

· When will you decide on the appointments? When will I find out if I am successful?

Obviously these may not be relevent to your job, but just for ideas.

Good luck and let us know how u get on.
    If i think of anything else i'll post it here later.
    nick
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Think of the questions they will ask about the job. Eat a banana beforehand!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    That's what I did for six years - the job the op is after. I enjoyed myself after a rocky start. Some job specific questions I would ask about how much lifting is involved? Do you have to receive incoming deliveries? What is the volume of post that goes out of the organisation? Is it mostly letters or packets or parcels? Are the letters generally dl (window envelopes) or a5 or a4? Are there daily postal collections? What time are the daily postal collections? Are you expected to take late post to the post office? Is the post despatched using Royal Mail Account (book - involves counting & stamping invoiced later), franking machine (pre-paid, but requires weighing).

All this can help you work out how much work this is going to entail, if you have a lot of parcels - you are going to have to fill out a parcel despatch book, which requires an address for each parcel (if the company sends a lot of parcels then they will have an account parcel price, so you won't constantly be working out the price, even though you'll have to weigh the items) - this will take you about 2 or three minutes for each one once you get into a rythmn - however it will take about five minutes when you start off. Similarly with special delivery or recorded delivery items.

With letters - if they are all DL (think bills or bank statements), then it will be a pretty easy job because they are all going to be practically the same weight the cost of a first or second class stamp, so you don't have be constantly stopping to weigh the items when putting the postage on them. Your busiest times will be in the afternoon. Of course I worked in a medium sized organisations despatch area, a large organisation woulw be set up differently - there would be a lot of pre-printed stationary.

Good Luck.
  • corriefan
    corriefan Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    thanks to everyone who replied
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some of the following might be useful,

Wear a cotton shirt/blouse rather than man made fibres........to help keep cool.
    Clean and polish your shoes.
    Don't eat anything spicy like a curry the night before.
    Tone down wearing jewellery/make up/perfume/after shave.
    Think of examples of your strengths and weaknesses.
    Be ready to answer a question about your attendance/sickness absence record.
    Be ready to answer about why you are leaving/left your last job.

Relax, smile, make eye contact, be friendly.........first impressions count.

Good luck
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Always be ready to answer a question about equal opportunities, especially if the job is anything to do with public sector - local govt, civil service etc - or has lottery funding.

Equal ops covers race, disability, gender, sex, religion - someone tell me if I've missed anything! Think about what the organisation you're applying to needs to do in order to put equal ops into practice rather than just say "We are an equal opportunities employer."

And a hint. The correct answer to "What would you do if you heard one of your colleagues make a sexist / racist joke?" is not "It would depend if it was funny or not."
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • corriefan
    corriefan Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    thanks to everyone that replied to this thread I got the job and will start on
    18th july
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport