IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
You must Register to post (it's free!)
Job Seekers Allowance
Views: 50,546
# 1
farquarpigmix
Old 16-12-2012, 9:55 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Job Seekers Allowance

My wife use to be on incapacity benefit until it was removed. use to work before leaving due to tumor. (not life threatening ) She is fully up to date with national insurance contributions. Would she be able to claim job seekers allowance?

She has tried to find work but as yet no joy. I work 40 hrs +. I think that after paying your stamp etc she should be able to claim.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farquarpigmix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Dunroamin
Old 16-12-2012, 10:23 PM
PPR
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by farquarpigmix View Post
My wife use to be on incapacity benefit until it was removed. use to work before leaving due to tumor. (not life threatening ) She is fully up to date with national insurance contributions. Would she be able to claim job seekers allowance?

She has tried to find work but as yet no joy. I work 40 hrs +. I think that after paying your stamp etc she should be able to claim.
The National Insurance Credits that are given when claiming benefits, count towards the state pension but not towards JSA. When did she last actually pay National Insurance?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
McKneff
Old 16-12-2012, 11:08 PM

Think the OP said his wife was up to date with 'contributions' not credits.

Do you know for sure that she is up to date with contributions, it is covered byu the last two full tax years.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
The Following User Says Thank You to McKneff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sleepless saver
Old 16-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If she claims before the end of this month, she will be assessed on her NI contributions for 2009-10 and 2010-11.

If she delays claiming until January 2013, she will be assessed on her contributions for 2010-11 and 2011-12.

So she needs to time her application depending on which periods she has the right NI contributions for. NI contributions made outside these periods are irrelevant.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/scotla..._contributions

Last edited by sleepless saver; 16-12-2012 at 11:34 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sleepless saver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Dunroamin
Old 17-12-2012, 8:05 AM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKneff View Post
Think the OP said his wife was up to date with 'contributions' not credits.

Do you know for sure that she is up to date with contributions, it is covered byu the last two full tax years.
He did, but I thought he must have misunderstood if she's been on IB for a longish period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dunroamin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
McKneff
Old 17-12-2012, 10:01 AM

I wonder why the OP says her IB was removed. Would the case be that she should have gone from IB to ESA. Just wondering
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
# 7
farquarpigmix
Old 17-12-2012, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi and thank you for replys. My wife has applied for JSA (previously, got a memory like a sive she said ) but was turned down. I don't know why but there you go. She was on IB for a long time.
# 8
miduck
Old 17-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi and thank you for replys. My wife has applied for JSA (previously, got a memory like a sive she said ) but was turned down. I don't know why but there you go. She was on IB for a long time.
You do not give enough information to get an informed response - when did her IB claim end, and has she worked since?
The Following User Says Thank You to miduck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
farquarpigmix
Old 17-12-2012, 2:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

IB ended in 2007. Has had 3 jobs since totalling in 6 months work for all 3 jobs.
# 10
CAB Birmingham representative
Old 19-12-2012, 4:10 PM
Has MSEs permission to post for company
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you for your e-mail

There are a number of options that at this stage your wife may wish to consider. It appears from your e-mail that your wife considers herself fit and able to work and if this is the case and her contributions are up to date it may be that she could claim a contribution based JSA. You do mention that she had been turned down for this in a prior application but did not say why.

Other factors that may be considered is whether your wife feels able to work and whether she has considered a benefit such as Employment and Support Allowance if she feels not well enough to do so.

Further details may be needed for us to be able to provide accurate information and guidance and we would therefore recommend that if your wife is able to do so she could attend her local Bureau to discuss this further or alternatively contact our telephone advice line on 08444 77 10 10

Kind regards
Birminghan CAB
Official CAB Representative
I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe Ive broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CAB Birmingham representative For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
farquarpigmix
Old 22-12-2012, 3:22 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you for the reply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farquarpigmix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
miduck
Old 22-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
IB ended in 2007. Has had 3 jobs since totalling in 6 months work for all 3 jobs.
Sorry OP, I'm not sure why the CAB Rep is suggesting she applies for ESA or JSA - with so little employment she will not have sufficient NI Conts for either.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to miduck For This Useful Post: Show me >>